UE5/5.1 crash Metahuman Identity Solve

I’ve been trying to use the Mesh to Metahuman function for the last 2 days and I just get continuous crashes whenever I hit the “Identity Solve” button. This is a persistent error with UE5.03 and UE5.1, since the update to the Metahuman plugin. I used it many times successfully before then. Nothing has changed on my system apart from the update to the plugin since the last time I used it successfully. Each crash gives the same error:

Unhandled Exception: EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION reading address 0x000001fbf75f47b8

UnrealEditor_MetaHumanMeshTracker!epic::carbon::KdTree<float,epic::carbon::NoCompatibility,3,32>::splitNode() [D:\build\U5M-Marketplace\Sync\LocalBuilds\PluginTemp\HostProject\Plugins\MetaHuman\Source\MetaHumanMeshTracker\Private\carbon\include\carbon\geometry\KdTree.h:329]

(The last line is repeated about 80 times)

Anyone else have this problem or a workaround, or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks!

Update: I tracked down the issue, and I hope this helps anyone else with the same issue - the original mesh contained a few bad polygons that I missed - it looks like zero-surfae-area polygons were blowing the calculation phase up.

If anyone else is getting this error, clean up your base mesh in the software of your choice more than once - sometimes a fix will create other broken polys!

I had such an error when I accidentally clicked something in metahuman, managed to close the viewport there, then immediately crashed. Nothing helped, including creating new projects. Reinstallation through the Epic Games application did not help either. In short, while I was figuring out, I realized that the engine automatically compiles this error into its cache and makes changes to the entire engine. I didn’t determine which specific folder the changes were included in, I just deleted them all. Then I removed the engine and reinstalled it. Therefore, as an option for the future, I propose to save copies of the cache of the engine folders in order to prevent this