UE5.4.1 crashing

Brand new to the engine, fresh install (even tried re-installing already) but the engine is crashing regularly for the following:

Unhandled Exception: EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION reading address 0x0000000000000028

nvwgf2umx
nvwgf2umx
nvwgf2umx
nvwgf2umx
nvwgf2umx
nvwgf2umx
D3D12Core
dxgi
dxgi
dxgi
dxgi
dxgi
dxgi
dxgi
UnrealEditor_D3D12RHI
UnrealEditor_D3D12RHI
UnrealEditor_D3D12RHI
UnrealEditor_RHI
UnrealEditor_RHI
UnrealEditor_RHI
UnrealEditor_RHI
UnrealEditor_Core
UnrealEditor_Core
UnrealEditor_RenderCore
UnrealEditor_Core
UnrealEditor_Core
kernel32
ntdll

Specs:

• AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
  • Asus ROG STRIX B650-A
  • 64GB DDR5
  • 3080ti 12GB
  • Win11

I haven’t created anything in a project yet as the engine crashes from even the drop-down menus. So it really only stays open for a few seconds.

I saw in another post about an Intel system having issues with BIOS settings but the only thing I have on my AMD setup that’s changed from default is the RAM speed utilization (set to 6k from the mobo originally seeing it as 4k or so), resize BAR is on, as well as EXPO 1. Everything else is default.
All the other topics that seem related to mine are not fresh installs or are unresolved per the topic.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Defaulted my nVidia settings on the control panel and then set shader cache to unlimited and so far- Not had any issues. Guess this can be set as resolved for the time being!

1 Like

Thank you very much. Had same error and couldnt find what was causing it. Niagara were mentioned in crash message and UI showed some freezing in unreal insight. But could have been result from that shader cache. I changed the setting too now and so far stable.