UE5.3 Cube Grid Mode problem

Hi! I’m new o game dev and Unreal as a whole. I’m following a french tutorial and I have a problem with the cube grid mode. When I switch to top view, wether it’s wireframe or not, the grid doesn’t show. It looks like this:

As you can see, the selection IS here and some part of the selection does show up, but not entirely.

Update: Now when I try to open the top view, it just crashes UE5

I am actually unable to understand what is going on here for now. What do you mean by cube grid? Is this a static mesh and are you changing perspectives in blueprint viewport or map viewport? What do you want to see and what is not showing? I have too many questions now, enlighten us so we can you too :smile:

1 Like

So, in the Modelling mode, I’m trying to create a Map with the Cube Grid Tool. When I try to change perspective to “Top” in the Map Viewport, it doesn’t show anything. It defaults to wireframe but if I try to use the “lit” or “unlit” option it just crashes altogether.

Here is the crash report:
"LoginId:6b7955ef49cf341b2914d88e444e1f1d
EpicAccountId:93528c4e197042458adc55641e4be6d0

Assertion failed: IntFitsIn(In) [File:D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Core\Public\Templates\UnrealTemplate.h] [Line: 163] Loss of data caused by narrowing conversion

UnrealEditor_Renderer
UnrealEditor_Renderer
UnrealEditor_Renderer
UnrealEditor_Renderer
UnrealEditor_Core
UnrealEditor_Core
UnrealEditor_Core
UnrealEditor_Core
UnrealEditor_Core
UnrealEditor_Core
UnrealEditor_Core
UnrealEditor_Core
UnrealEditor_Core
UnrealEditor_Core
kernel32
ntdll"
Thank you for your help!

Maybe you should reset your configurations by deletin Config folder inside of your project directory. Also with that, try to verify your engine files from Epic Launcher. If this problem still occurs, I don’t have more advice to give. But after these steps, there should be one reason standing; something with your assets or project has the problem. At least, the steps reducing the chance of engine problems.

1 Like

The good news is: Removing the Config Folder seems to fix the problem
Bad news is: It resets the entirety of my project
I also tried verifying the files as you said and it didn’t do anything. Something must be wrong in the project configuration but I don’t know how I can fix that without losing everything in my project…
EDIT: It does work, like it allows me to use top view again bt the selection in Modelling mode is still broken =A=

Thanks mate for making me realise I am not completely dense ! I believe I have the same issue as you as seen in this video: https://youtu.be/Zu6MSZNFjmE
Perspective shows tile selection, but any orthographic view does not…

1 Like

AHA! Thank you sm, I don’t feel alone anymore!
If you ever find a solution, please tell me!

1 Like

I’m started to think this may be a bug inside of engine :confused: I didn’t use modelling part of UE5 before btw.

To give an additional information about Config Folder and Project Settings;

When there is an option, do tweak changes with volumes instead of tweak project settings.

As an example; setting Game Mode and Player Controller in project settings to some Blueprints you created, makes these BPs global for all levels.

Instead, I use GameMode Override from World Settings and keep all default on project settings.

Same goes for Render part too. I keep everything as default in Render of Project Settings and use a Post Process Volume with “Unbound” option enabled.

This allows me to ignore Configs at least until late parts of project.

I have this same problem too, UE 5.3.2

1. Check Grid Settings…/ Make sure that the grid is enabled and set to an appropriate scale. You can adjust grid settings by clicking on the “Show” dropdown menu in the viewport toolbar and selecting “Grid Settings.” Ensure that the grid density and scale are set to values that make it visible and useful for your project.

2. Viewport Display Settings…/ Verify that the viewport display settings are configured correctly. Sometimes, certain display options may be disabled, causing the grid not to appear. You can access viewport display settings by clicking on the dropdown arrow next to the viewport shading mode (e.g., Lit, Wireframe) and checking if the “Show Grid” option is enabled.

3. Restart Unreal Engine…/ Sometimes, display issues can be resolved by simply restarting Unreal Engine. Close the application and relaunch it to see if the grid displays properly afterward.

4. Update Graphics Drivers…/ Ensure that your graphics drivers are up to date. Outdated drivers can sometimes cause display issues in Unreal Engine.

5. Check Tutorials and Documentation…/ Review the tutorial you’re following and the official Unreal Engine documentation to see if there are any specific settings or configurations you might have missed. It’s possible that there’s a step or setting that needs to be adjusted to make the grid visible in top view mode.

6. Community Forums and Support…/ If you’re still unable to resolve the issue, consider reaching out to the Unreal Engine community forums or support channels for assistance. Other users may have encountered similar issues and could provide helpful insights or solutions.

Thanks for having a look. Just as a check, your posts look autogenerated and all in the same format are you human ? I do not mean to offend.

I have checked these points, however these refer to the general grid, and this thread I believe is about the Modeling (and CubeGrid in particular) mode grid which is AFAIK a separate instance with its own settings.

For reference in case it is a GPU issue, I have an RX 7800XT with up to date drivers (24.1.1 at the time of writing). This bug confirmed not to happen on UE 5.1.1 on the same machine.

For OP: Are you following Evans Bohl’s videos per chance ?
I could continue on the tutorial by doing everything in perspective. You could also switch to 4-viewport mode by clicking on the button at the top right corner of your viewport, select your tiles in Perspective mode and “extrude” by watching the orthographic views.

1 Like

JUST-IN-E > None of these work, there are no grid settings or viewport Display Settings there. My drivers are up to date, I’m restarting UE5 non stop and I think you can guess that if I had to post this on a forum, that’s because I didn’t find any solution on forums or documentation

RobertoPotato > I am watching Bohl’s 11h tutorial yeah XD
Since the top view wireframe doesn’t work, I do his tutorial in perspective. It’s not as precise but it works so I’m not stuck.
That said, I just tried the 4Grid mode and its confirms to me that ANY view that’s not Perspective doesn’t work AT ALL

1 Like

Good luck with the tutorial mate ! He gives really good vibes…

For reference 4Grid mode does not look like that on my PC
Have you tried using an older version of UE ? 5.1.1 did not have the bug

are you using vulkan? got these type of crashes on vulkan

I… don’t think so? I’m no programmer so…

What do these settings say?

And when you say “your drivers are up to date,” what is your graphics card?
(And what version of what OS are you on? So many variants …)

Here’s what it looks like for me, Windows 10 Pro 22H2 (US English), RTX 3090 graphics card, Studio drivers version 537.58.

So!
The Default RHI is set on DirectX12 so I’m not using Vulkan

For my card, it’s a RTX 4060, with the drivers in 551.52 version, and I use W10 Pro 22H2 (French)
I should also note that I get this message each time I open the viewport

I don’t think world composition would matter, although that does tell me that you’re working on some older project that maybe has other settings configured somehow.

If you create a brand new project using the third person project template, and using engine version 5.3.2, and add a cube builder in a new level, does this problem still happen?

If you install “Studio” drivers instead of “Gaming” drivers, does the problem still happen? (You can switch in the Nvidia Geforce Experience app)

Just tried it on a 4060 with Windows 11 Pro, using drivers 551.23, and it works too:

So, chances are there’s something configured in the project you’re using.

Studio drivers still get me the same problem

With a new project I indeed, don’t have the problem anymore so it has to be something in my base project settings. However, I still can’t see my selection in modelling cube grid mode. I can pull, push and create forms but the orange outline just isn’t there