UE5.1 VR Preview Crash

I can not launch the play in VR preview mode with my unchanged UE5 preview build. The preview build is from the ue5-main branch from the 22.Feb.2022. It crashes right away when I press the Play button. Do you by chance have any Idea how to fix this?

The error I get is:

Assertion failed IsInGameThread() (File:MyPc\UnrealEngine-ue5-main\Engine\Plugins\Runtime\Steam\SteamVR\Source\SteamVR\Private\SteamVRHMD.cpp] [Line: 1581]

What I tried:

• playing an empty level
  • disableing all other VR plugins
  • disableing Mobile HDR
  • disableing and enableing Instanced Stereo (either one does nothing)

Just ran into this crash myself, fortunately it looks like there’s already a fix.

There’s a changelist in ue5-main branch dated 2022-03-31 named ‘VR PIE: Make sure SetIndependentViewportSize is called on GameThread’ that should fix your issue. Grab a version of ue5-main newer than that and you should be good to go.

https://github.com/EpicGames/UnrealEngine/commit/06aca884cfd143d18e7e1433bd0e566afe320b71

I just tried 5.1 Preview 2 and same issue. It looks like this issue was not commited. I have exact same issue with the error: Assertion failed IsInGameThread() (File:MyPc\UnrealEngine-ue5-main\Engine\Plugins\Runtime\Steam\SteamVR\Source\SteamVR\Private\SteamVRHMD.cpp] [Line: 1581]

I have the same problem when trying to preview the game in VR mode - completely BLANK project as well as VIRTUAL PRODUCTION TEMPLATE - UE 5.1 Preview 2, Windows 10

What is interesting is that it does not happen when I launch the VR template - the VR template runs OK in VR mode.

Any ideas why that happens?

Below error from console:

LoginId:21a0258d4a40d281cc1e52b49c6d7795
EpicAccountId:9dd7350684c041b59904e731e29a00b8

Assertion failed: IsInGameThread() [File:D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Plugins\Runtime\Steam\SteamVR\Source\SteamVR\Private\SteamVRHMD.cpp] [Line: 1579]

UnrealEditor_SteamVR
UnrealEditor_Engine
UnrealEditor_RenderCore
UnrealEditor_RenderCore
UnrealEditor_RenderCore
UnrealEditor_Core
UnrealEditor_Core
UnrealEditor_RenderCore
UnrealEditor_RenderCore
UnrealEditor_Core
UnrealEditor_Core
kernel32
ntdll

I source compiled ue5-main which is on 5.2 and they fixed it. I guess we will have to wait for 5.2 release for anyone not wanting to build from source