UE5.1 Path Tracing Vs Lit Mode Vegetation Aesthetic

I’m fairly new to Unreal Engine. I’d like to use the Path Tracer for architectural renderings for the much-improved lighting and appearance of man-made objects, but to me the appearance of vegetation in Path-Traced mode is inferior to Lit mode. Especially the leaves on the trees appear much fuller with better shadowing and highlights in Lit mode.

Also, I have height-fog enabled in path-traced mode, but again I prefer the Lit-mode height-fog more. I can’t get the same kind of aerial-perspective effect in path-traced mode, even when I turn up the fog density.

Is there something obvious I’m missing in either case?

Path-Traced Mode:

Lit Mode:

I’ve noticed the same thing with height fog in path tracer.

It’s hard to tell. The leaves may look fuller in your “lit” version but everything else looks better in the path traced version imo. So maybe the leaves in the “lit” version are rendered “less realistic” although they are looking subjectivly better.

What you can try is to increase the opacity clip value in the leaves material to make them look fuller. This value should drive how the masking is handled over distance. Not sure if it still does with the path tracer.

Running into the same problem. Did you find a workaround / solution?

No, I contacted the developer of the vegetation assets I’m using and they said they would be updating their shadow maps in the near future.

1 Like