UE4 won't install on Mac due to insufficient disk space, but there's plenty

I’m trying to install UE 4.27 on my M1 MacBook. I installed the Epic Games Launcher and clicked the Install button for UE 4.27.0. There was about a 10-second pause. Then I got an error saying the install failed, because I only have 15 GB of disk space available, but that’s not true. I have 167 GB available, according to Finder, which you can see at the top of this screenshot:

346933-screen-shot-2021-08-21-at-112108-pm.png

I only have one disk and one partition, and I am an administrator. This is the first time I’ve installed the Epic Games Launcher on this machine. I tried rebooting, but that didn’t help. Why is the launcher so confused?

I’ve been working with Unreal for months on my Windows PC without any problems. I’m surprised it won’t even install on my Mac.

I have exactly the same problem. I had 4.26 installed and tried to install 4.27. It did fail to install as it did actually run out of disk space. I’ve since recovered the space as. I had some large files I’d forgotten to delete so there is around 350GB of space available. My system has a single 1TB SSD and MacOS Catalina.

It is annoying not being able to get it installed. I’ve even deleted the previous version and tried various folder locations but with little effect.

OK - After having the issue yesterday and being unable to install Unreal Engine 4.27 after trying numerous times, I literally had the Epic Games Launcher still open from the previous day and clicked the ‘Install’ button on the 4.27 icon and it installed first time.

Nothing has changed since yesterday. Maybe something within the Epic Games Launcher or MacOS itself has refreshed the available disk space so at least Epic Games Launcher now knows the correct value - who knows. Either way, it has now installed without issue so if anyone does come across this insufficient disk space issue, ensure you have enough space and try again the next day - it might work.

I have the same issue. The problem is definitely that stupid new big sur thing where they separate “Macintosh HD” and “Data” into separate partitions because the Unreal installation is quoting me the remaining storage space on the “Macintosh HD” Partition and not the data partition. This is incredibly frustrating because despite knowing WHY it happens, that information doesn’t help me at all.

And I think I know what is happening, but it must be a UE bug.
Here’s what it is:
Even though I choose the External Disk as install location, which is where the Launcher is too, the installer is reading my Mac’s internal drive (where I only have the 11Gb only).

The installer keeps saying I need +XGB and I only have 11gb
Some days ago said I only had 9Gb, because that’s what I had on my internal mac (I cleaned stuff today and freed 2gb)

So…it’s the installer that is not behaving correctly.
I chose destination External Disk
The Launcher is also in External Disk
The installer creates a folder inside the launcher for the version I try to install
But then it reads my internal drive

Hi displaynamemb,

Would you mind reporting your bug to our team? The Unreal Engine bug submission form can be found here. When submitting a report, we highly encourage everyone to include images and videos, but any and all details are helpful!

We may reach out if more information is needed.

Thanks!

I have the same issue .
I’m using an external drive HDD with 120GB free space on a Mac (Monterey)

I tried to install different versions to see if that was the problem, but no.
No matter what version I choose, 4.27.2, 4.26…or 5 it always needs more space.

I chose External Disk as destination to install.
I unchecked all the optional features, leaving just the Core and Assets. Which reduces the download and storage space to a maximum of 40GB…
Same result.

Either says it needs 90GB and I need to free +80gb
Or that it needs 40Gb and I need to free +20gb
The numbers vary but it just doesn’t let me install.

I sent an email and got an answer saying Epic Games is one thing, I should email UE.
I used the chat support that kept telling me to free space…

I installed Unity without a problem. I guess I will have to stay with Unity. It’s a Gimp vs Photoshop situation, but…at least it works…

Ok. I will, but if anyone comes to this forum…I solved it!!!
Like I said: Epic Games Launcher still reads the internal drive even when a different drive is selected as destination to the install.
It creates a Folder for the specific version INSIDE the Launcher (if you “show package contents” the folder is there.
So what I did was to create A New Folder as destination, outside the Launcher (in the external drive) and it installed fine.

1 Like