UE4 West Coast Dev Tour: Orange County Learning Sessions

Hey folks! If you’re in the Orange County area, please consider RSVPing to attend our upcoming learning session, details below!

Orange County Learning Sessions
Monday, July 21, 2-6pm
Hilton Costa Mesa
3050 Bristol Street
Costa Mesa, CA 92626

Reception to follow

Southern California game developers are invited to attend four hours of intensive lectures, questions, and discussions with the experts.
If you’re interested, please check out details and RSVP here](UE4 West Coast Dev Tour - LA Tickets, Mon, Jul 21, 2014 at 2:00 PM | Eventbrite).

Planning to come out? Let us know below!

Don’t suppose you guys intend to put this on youtube? :slight_smile:

Dang, Costa Mesa is about 50mi from me. Though with it being on a Monday that limits it a lot for me too.

Otherwise I’d definitely be there.

Bit far for me as well as I’m on the coast of LA. I was hoping for DTLA or somewhere “closer” to greater Los Angeles. :frowning:

Hi everyone, Shield Break Studios will be at this event in force (all 6-8 of us…).

We’ve been making a multiplayer game in UE4 full time since last September. Looking forward to the event and meeting some other local UE devs!

Same situation for me pretty much exactly hehe.

Yea, would love to see a recording of this! I live up in Oregon, so I can’t really come, but I so want to!

Hi Folks,

Really looking forward to meeting everyone!

We won’t be able to record these sessions as they are presented, but some of the content is already available in existing videos and i’m sure the content from it will make it into future videos.

What level of technical depth will the progamming lectures go into? IE talks for hobbyists or professionals. I’m trying to figure out if its worth most of the work day to drive down for the session and back from LA.

Good question - I’d like to know this as well. I’ve been considering taking the day off and trying to get over there, but it depends on how it’s going to be set up.

The plan is to cover many common and popular topics from a high level - breadth rather than depth. Each talk will be 10 minutes, with some talks being split into two parts of 10 minutes each for a total of 20 minutes. After each talk there will be 5 minutes of Q&A. On the programming side we will be covering Engine & Game framework, Slate (Intro + upcoming features), Editor extensibility & plugins, concurrency & parallelism, build tools, mobile deployment & performance profiling/tweaking, scalability, Unreal C++ basics, and the latest in HTML5. There will also be a track on just Blueprints as well as network programming with five talks each. A more detailed list with summaries of the talks will be posted soon.

The talks are mainly aimed at hobbyist and beginners who need to get the big picture, as well as somewhat experienced developers in the area of Blueprints and multiplayer. However, very experienced UE4 developers and licensees will hopefully learn a few new things, too.

Hey guys!

Super excited for this, just got the time off for it approved.

I have one question: are the 4 different tracts (Unreal Editor, Cinematics, Mobile, C++) each one hour, totaling the four hours, or are they each 4 hours and you have to choose one?

We should have a schedule posted soon, you should be able to find several hours of content on topics that will interest you.

A couple of us from Gradus Games are prepping to come down from Vegas tonight. ROAD TRIP! So stoked for this and I’m glad Epic is showing support for the hobbyist and newbie community like this. This should definitely be taped or have some sort of documentation that’ll go up after the event. See you all there.

going to try my hardest to make it out, thanks for having the event :slight_smile:

See you all there! Excited about the c++ lectures!

Just wanted to say a big thank you to everyone that put this event together. It was very informative and totally awesome! Please have more!

Just wanted to say thank you as well! It was really great and I learned a ton more!

+1 to more of these in the future!!

Hey man! Give us a little run down. Sounds cool. What’d you learn?

Any chance we can get a visit to the Valley of the Sun in Phoenix, Arizona?