UE4 Vs Autodesk and Blender for U4 type cinematics

Hey guys so I just had a fire of a question come up as I was washing the dishes before,

***I can understand movies and more hyper-real cinematics using Autodesk and Blender software…

But if Uncharted 4 can make cinematics of this quality in a game engine;
I’m talking about this scene especially (if you would be so kind as to use a few seconds…)
– 3:45

-Then why are there still large amounts of people using Autodesk or Blender to make
cinematic of lower detail and intensity than the Uncharted 4 cinematics from a game engine?

(Just from the characters detail on face, environment[how empty it is, simple environment which UE4 would have no problem with], etc)

Sintel by Blender Foundation
Sintel - Open Movie by Blender Foundation - YouTube from seeing the first 10-15 seconds you can see what I mean.

============================================================================
I mean JUST in terms of a cinematic of the level of detail of the
Sintel/Blender – Uncharted 4 quality the….

Cons of Using Autodesk and Blender would be…

-Use render farms which use a lot of power and money(Or else a cinematic would take way too long to produce)
-to see mistakes in their film they render it all out then review it frame by frame and if there’s little mistakes like too dark shadows, they adjust and re render out again, once again taking a lot of time and energy
-they can’t see things in realtime and adjust on the fly like in UE4 shown in the Senua Hellblade showcase/demo

VS

Pros of using a game engine would be…

Choose new camera angles in real time while changing lighting and whatnot to see in real time
-Don’t need any kind of render farm, being that the quality film is being made right in front of you so it’s a huge time and money saver.
-The opposite of every con listed above

So my question, not as a bias but as a,
I want to know why it is still done because if many pros are still doing it there must be a really good reason right?

How do you know how the uncharted guys created the cut-scenes? Have the released info on how they did it?

When i played it there seemed to be a big difference in quality in the cut-scenes characters from the in game characters.

I don’t think Sintel is quite a fair comparison as it is a rather old cinematic with a different goal than that of UC4.

That’s actually an up and coming trick in cut scenes you have power that would normally go to gameplay that isn’t used so you just take the power and us it for higher quality characters. You can even take it further by optimizing the scene because you know were the camera is pointing why not make everything else look like garbage.

Yes this is in fact true, in UE4 during the Hellblade demo this displayed this.
One of the pros stated…

“-Right, if you want to use UE4 to just render stuff and don’t care about real-time performance then it becomes much easier, you can render things pretty nicely and there’s quality settings that you can turn up if you don’t care so much about it being real-time. There’s also stuff like Nvidia VXGI which is available for UE4 if you want to try a dynamic global illumination system that you could use and turn up the quality if you don’t are about framerate.”

So does anyone have a thought on why people would use the above methods vs a game engine like UE4?

Oh sorry yes I do those are well established film tools were as UE4 is a GAME engine. However if you want I can find a couple of film/TV projects using Unreal.

So people are using the autodesk and blender to produce films because they are by definition a film tool,

even though they could save a lot more time and money if they were to use UE4?

And yeah if you know of any film/tv projects that would be nice to see.

Most people haven’t considered game engines as high fidelity tools until about two years ago and sequencer only came out with 4.11 considering how long most movies take for production given so time you will find more projects using game engines.
Outlaws is a film being developed with UE4. I’ll look for more information on it later today. Revving the Engine: Outlaws | Unwinnable
An excerpt from this article https://www.unrealengine.com/blog/gdc-2016-a-glimpse-at-the-real-time-future there is probably more information now but I really don’t like nickelodeons website so I won’t try.
Secondly, Nickelodeon is pushing the future of children’s entertainment using Unreal. A preview of the new real-time animated “Project 85” (codename) is seen in the video above. As technology is integrated into kids’ lives, from the moment they can push a button or swipe a finger, they expect to have experiences with characters and stories as well as interact with them whenever and however they want.
Nickelodeon says that “Unreal Engine provides tools to be making content at the highest production level all while giving us the building blocks for the future of kid’s entertainment, whether it be linear or immersive interactive cartoons, on a screen or in virtual reality. Using Unreal, kids can watch our stories, play with our characters, and invite them into their living room like never before.”

On the production process, Nickelodeon confirms, “Unreal has given us unparalleled creative abilities in regards to pipeline opportunities. Directors and designers can see right now what once took hours or even days to achieve. The flexibility of the tool allows us to take bigger risks as we can now iterate on the fly and push into areas that were once cost and time-prohibitive. We also can also build assets one time that can be used in a multitude of storytelling applications and platforms.”

There are also a couple of projects like this floating around https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/devnull/abyssian-knights-anime-web-series/updates

What are you talking about?
Most of the cinematics are created in another tool for ease of use, then ported to the desired engine for upscaling and post processing.
Everyone has been doing something like that since PS2 era.

In terms of movies, it doesn’t make sense to render the movie in a render farm, then do it all over again in a game engine. That’s just doing double work.

Also, since game engines shows it can be done, Autodesk’s programmers are working hard to get the same result in their platforms.

The whole point he’s making is why bother with a render farm?

Yes that is correct, thanks for clearing up the misunderstanding!

I was saying to skip the render farm since game engines can already produce high fidelity cinematics like Uncharted 4 cinematics.
Thanks for the input by the way!

Please clarify, are you using “Blender” in your sample workflow to represent CGI cinematics?

In the sample you posted above, it was mainly to demonstrate how Blender can be used to get decent results in comparison to other 3D program workflows as I understand it.

The Uncharted example certainly does not compare to the quality and fidelity of standard CGI workflows.

The question I’m personally fiddling with would compare the latest Hellblade cinematic with something like this Witcher Cinematic

In this comparison, the quality difference though obvious still leads me to ask myself why not attempt to achieve a similar dramatic impact in Unreal.

Personally, because I lack the knowledge in working outside of a game engine for cinematic rendering, I’m using Unreal and love it :slight_smile: