UE4 very laggy, why?

Ok, I am new to Unreal Engine but I will try to cover everything I know…
UE4 lags a quite a bit while being played. In the selected viewport it seems to run fine without any hitches (other than the fact my computer is ****) however if I choose to use a standalone game or new editor window, it lags but not the same sort of lack of fps that you would expect. Rather it acts jerky like it is having trouble updating the window, I have tried toggling some of the smooth fps settings but nothing seems to work. I would really love to use Unreal as my default engine because it blows Unity3d out of the water in terms of options and features (don’t forget the source code). My fear is that my computer just can’t handle UE4 and I wonder if I publish a game using the engine people like me won’t be able to use my game (people like me would be by target audience) I hope for the best and some help from you experts on how it works!

Computer Specs:

Mac mini (Late 2014)
CPU: 2.6 GHz Intel Core i5
Memory: 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
GPU: Intel Iris 1536 MB
VRAM: 1536 MB (basically the stuff above this)
Display: 1280 x 1024 @ 60 Hz

Most likely it’s due to your computer, like you said, it’s not very powerful

Ya, I would definitely recommend building a new computer, I can help you choose parts if you like. :slight_smile:

Change the quality settings so that you can run the game smoothly -> You can use those console commands: .unrealengine/latest/INT/Engine/Performance/Scalability/ScalabilityReference/index.html :slight_smile:

Or, perhaps instead of telling him to buy a computer (it’s medium end, not too bad and not too good), maybe the devs should actually bother to optimize their engine?

Honestly. It’s 2016, and we’re still having optimization problems.

2 Likes

I think all you need is a new GPU, really. Those other parts are solid.

Also, even though it’s not completely needed, I’d say 1920 x 1080P is the minimum resolution to work with unreal engine comfortably, so you may not want to stick with your display either. I personally work in 4K and even then it still feels somewhat crowded. I use an extra, 1080P monitor for blueprint work.

1 Like

It’s your GPU. Your CPU is probably slighly better than my FX 6300. I was having some issues with UE4, then I bought a an R9 290.

Either of you two look at what a Mac Mini is? ://.apple/mac-mini/
I doubt he can find a GPU to fit.

It’s a Mac with integrated graphics. He’s lucky it even opens Unreal, IMO. The CPU is below recommended spec as well.

The thing is, if you can work with your situation long enough to package and release a game, it will run fine for anyone above minimum spec. The Unreal Engine runs a bit slower in development mode than it does in shipping mode. A shipping build also trims out a lot of the code you won’t need (like the editor).

Sad to say, if you’d spent that $500 on a prebuilt tower, you could just buy a new graphics card for it. Instead, you’re looking at a new machine.

Granted, I didn’t look at the type of pc, so I didn’t know it was a mac mini, no. I just glanced over the specs, and what I said still stands, so:

When buying a new pc, go for your parts + gpu or better.

It’s not like what I said was “Add a gpu to that PC” even though it was implied. I was simply pointing out where the problem in the build is. :stuck_out_tongue:

Honestly, even though mac gaming/design is a thing, according to steam hardware surveys, it’s not really. 4% mac users on steam vs 95% windows users, So you should develop on windows, if you want to test similar to the people that would most likely be buying your game.

If you want an added giggle, guess how many people use linux on steam. :smiley:

Adding a GPU to the Mac Mini isn’t going to be cheap… you’d need to get an external GPU enclosure such as this: BizonBox 2, but, then you’re looking at least $500~$600… for just the box, NO GPU included, building a Windows machine for a workstation is a lot cheaper.

Not that I really suggest adding a GPU to a Mac Mini, might as well build something else. Just say the GPU is the weakest link.

Once again, to clarify, I was not saying add a GPU to the mac mini. I was saying the GPU is the weakest link…without using those words.

Yeah man, didn’t mean to come off harsh.

It’s cool. I take no offense to it. I’m the , to help!

standalone game or new editor window and the unreal editor open? You wiil be a lot of ram and power to run. Test a real build with the editor closed.

btw they are a lot the ugly eatframe by defaut even in the editor viewport, Eye Adaptation(automatic exposure) is one of them. You can disable in camera game and editor.

https://answers.unrealengine/questions/24730/how-to-completely-disable-eye-adaptation-in-a-scen-1.html

Possible to tell me if my specc is too low aswell?
Computer: Msi Gaming Series
CPU: Intel Core i7-4710HQ 2,6ghz
Ram: 8gb ddr3
CPU: Nvidia GeForce 840M
Display: 1920*1080
Vram: 2gb

It’s not at least depending on, what you do with the editor.
Editing big maps, aside fps template could be painful.
I updated from a 570ti to 960 and that made not really a big difference for my small project.
But Ram upgrade from 8-16GB did the trick for me.
With 8GB i had always https://.google.de/?gws_rd=ssl#q=ram+rush running visible in my taskbar, to prevent Ram filling up and swapping to HD starts.
Other tasks like skype, i had to disable and browsing also.
For 2D it could be fine enough.

@ - you’ll run the editor, but the graphics card is a little on the weak side since it’s a low-end mobile model rather than a performance or enthusiast set.

It’s not “medium-end”, it’s a machine built for web browsing and document editing and unsuitable for the job. The CPU is a little on the lower-end side, but the real killer is the Intel Iris GPU - it’s just plain unsuitable for modern graphics engines (it’s comparable to a Geforce 8 series from 10 years ago). This isn’t “optimisation problems”, this is simply a case of hardware not being up to the task.

Also, I don’t get why you’ve bumped this thread from months ago, but it seems like you have an axe to grind.

My engine is laggy and shadows don’t work

SPECS:
MacBook Air (13-inch, Early 2015)
Processor: 1.6 GHz Intel Core i5
Memory: 4 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 6000 1536 MB

Unfortunately that laptop is below the recommended specs for UE4. The Macbook Air’s don’t have a very powerful CPU or GPU, and 4gb of ram is easy to exceed with regular use.

's the recommended specs:

While the processor clock speed is not listed in the recommended specs, generally you would want 2.4ghz or greater for decent performance. The GPU you have is built into the CPU, for best results you would need a dedicated graphics processor (ATI or Nvidia).

You can adjust quality settings by clicking the Settings button on the toolbar, then in the Scalability Settings lower the quality level down to improve performance.

Wow thanks so much for the quick reply, I will go do that now! :slight_smile: