UE4 UVMap Vs External UVMap

Hey.

So i am finally able to get my models in game without errors, and can texture them, however the uv map i have does not match the one i have on my Object data from within the objects uvmap, how do i edit the UVMap that is within the collision-uvMap window?

ocoromon.

Honestly, that’s a confusing question. Can you post an image of your model and a image of that it looks like in the UE4 model viewer. You can’t really edit UV maps in the editor, but you can create new ones. How many UV maps do you have on your mesh? 1?2?

So if i cant edit the arrangement of the UVs from within the editor, im supposed to import the object, Then export out the UVMap, this is not supported either, because you cant (from what i can see) export it out in any format.

http://s1085.photobucket.com/user/ocoromon/media/Untitled.png.html

I think you got this all wrong. You need to model and UV map your meshes in your modeling software and then import into the UE4.

And this kind of questions belong to Content Creation forum. :slight_smile:

How are you working in SketchUp, are you using a floorplan to model the interior? If you are using a floorplan I would recommend bring that into UE4 and using the brush tools to model your building. This has a lot of advantages over SketchUp, you don’t have to worry about UVs, you can block out all the walls with collision. If you aren’t working with a floorplan I still recommend using the brush tool in UE4 to create your interior/building.

Looks like you have 3 UV maps, you actually tell your material to use any of the 3 UV maps (there is documentation about it, I don’t remember off the top of my head). Not sure what you meant by “arrangement”.

I have a loft that made in sketchUp8 with Match Photo,brought into Modo for cleanup. The best thing I can do is bring it into UE4 and recreate it with the brush tools because I don’t really want to do the UV(you need 2,one for texture and 1 for lightmass) and I don’t want to create collision model:

http://s17.postimg.org/8p6oku2zy/Loft.jpg

[QUOTE=ocoromon;7407]
So if i cant edit the arrangement of the UVs from within the editor, im supposed to import the object, Then export out the UVMap, this is not supported either, because you cant (from what i can see) export it out in any format.

You can export UVmaps in many formats, OBJ, Collada, FBX. FBX would be ideal since it’s support by UE4.

Hey,

[QUOTE=SonKim;7440]
How are you working in SketchUp, are you using a floorplan to model the interior? If you are using a floorplan I would recommend bring that into UE4 and using the brush tools to model your building. This has a lot of advantages over SketchUp, you don’t have to worry about UVs, you can block out all the walls with collision. If you aren’t working with a floorplan I still recommend using the brush tool in UE4 to create your interior/building.

I was hoping I could model an interior from within Sketchup, because my plan is to do quite a number of them, for a Starship Interior that I have completed. You see i heard that a lot of brush geometry was a bad thing.

[QUOTE=SonKim;7440]
Looks like you have 3 UV maps, you actually tell your material to use any of the 3 UV maps (there is documentation about it, I don’t remember off the top of my head). Not sure what you meant by “arrangement”.

I was referring to the arrangement of the UV faces within the Texture Image, due to be edited by a paint program, You can state the space between the faces when creating the UV but you cant rearrange the map, i just thought that would have helped, since they keep coming out too wonky and skewed for my texturing talents to cope with.

[QUOTE=SonKim;7440]
You can export UVmaps in many formats, OBJ, Collada, FBX. FBX would be ideal since it’s support by UE4.

Export from where, I haven’t seen any export feature in UE4 for any UV’s, if you do mean UE4 please explain how, if you meant another program, i’m not sure which one you meant.

ocoromon.

[QUOTE=ocoromon;7976]
I was hoping I could model an interior from within Sketchup, because my plan is to do quite a number of them, for a Starship Interior that I have completed. You see i heard that a lot of brush geometry was a bad thing.

you should be careful using sketchup, I have seen a lot of people having issues using sketchup models in unreal engine, usually caused by triangulation or smoothing.

[QUOTE]
I was referring to the arrangement of the UV faces within the Texture Image, due to be edited by a paint program, You can state the space between the faces when creating the UV but you cant rearrange the map, i just thought that would have helped, since they keep coming out too wonky and skewed for my texturing talents to cope with.

you could just import your model to another 3d app to edit the layout of the UV.

[QUOTE]
Export from where, I haven’t seen any export feature in UE4 for any UV’s, if you do mean UE4 please explain how, if you meant another program, i’m not sure which one you meant.

as far as I know you cannot export a models UV’s from UE4.

basically you have two easy workflow options I can see.

1: make your mesh in sketchup, export it and import to another 3d app to edit the UV’s, export from that app and then import to UE4.

2: use another modelling program as it would be quicker and easier.

[QUOTE=;8017]
1: make your mesh in sketchup, export it and import to another 3d app to edit the UV’s, export from that app and then import to UE4.

Iv’e been trying this method, but as soon as i import into UE4, the generated UV does not match my previously created one. so I have to go back and edit it again. I even tried importing my model into UE4 first just to get the UV layout, but as i stated earlier, it is very difficult to work with UE4’s version of what we all call a UVMap, there always so twisted and unprofessional.

To me its simple, Have edge detection on an image that you set as An UV, or include an edge mover / editor tool within the object properties window. Simple.

[QUOTE=;8017]
2: use another modelling program as it would be quicker and easier.

Which would you suggest for someone with a tenner in the bank, and vowed never to touch blender again. Because apart from that there is a pretty huge gap, are there any at all. Sorry for my attitude, I realize I am asking to be told what I don’t want to hear. I get angry at myself for being impatient when learning something as complicated as blender is.

Not that i’m an impatient guy.

I know how hard and complicated blender can be when you first start using it but as long as you learn it in steps instead of trying to work it all out straight away (witch is what I did:p) its not as hard as it seems and once you know how to do things it gets a lot easier witch also lets you make better models.

also I am not sure what you mean by “the generated UV does not match my previously created one”.

[QUOTE=;8100]
also I am not sure what you mean by “the generated UV does not match my previously created one”.

Agree, maybe he should do a video on it, I’d like to see the UV creation in a external app and see how it looks in UE4.

@ocoromon - If blender isn’t your cup of tea, try wings3d (http://www.wings3d.com/) it’s free. Don’t get anger, at the end of the day you will have to use blender(or wings3d) or buy a 3D app of your choice, SketchUp is powerful but it lacks a lot for game dev features, you can not even edit UVs. Maya LT is the cheapest. Modeling is so much easier in Modo/3DSMax imho. If you are a student you can get Autodesk software free for non commercial use, you just have to sign up online.

I’ve never seen UV island get move around upon export from a 3D app. What program are you using to create your UVs of your interior mesh? Are you new to 3D modeling and Unreal Engine?

" You see i heard that a lot of brush geometry was a bad thing." That to be the case from what I hear.

“Export from where, I haven’t seen any export feature in UE4 for any UV’s, if you do mean UE4 please explain how, if you meant another program, i’m not sure which one you meant.” I meant from another program i.e. Maya,Max,Modo,etc.

@ocoromon Just to clear up some “possible” confusion. When you export a UV unwrapped model to FBX, OBJ, Dae etc the UV mapping comes embedded within the mesh and can be changed by another 3D App as well as UE4.

If you create a new UV within the UE4 Mesh editor you will overwrite the original one you created in your 3D App. If you want to keep the one you made in you 3D App (advisable as most 3D apps have better editing options)…do not create a new one on channel 0 in UE4.

The UV channels 0 and 1 in UE4 are equal to channels 1 and 2 in 3DS Max and other programs.

The second UV channel (UV Channel 1) can be created automatically by UE4 as this does not require the same mapping as the first channel. However, you can also create the second channel UV in your 3D App (if you know what you’re doing and you may get better results) I have just copied the UV channel 1 to UV channel 2 in 3DS Max and Cinema 4D (in C4D rename UV channels to 1 and 2). I am not knowledgeable enough yet to say what is the best method for unwrapping Lightmap UV’s but if you are good at unwrapping your mesh with minimal seams, I’m sure this would help in the Lightmap channel.

okay about the quote below, i have seen countless things about not using the brushes for performance reasons, actually love to use them and then convert to static meshes, anyone can possibly give a firm answer on this, i would think a static mesh is a static mesh but do not want to continue down this path if its a stupid one. honestly hate how poor i am at getting around max and maya so the bsp brushes give me the ability to complete simple projects reasonably fast. any further advice highly appreciated, and yeah will keep trudging away at maya.
quote below
"How are you working in SketchUp, are you using a floorplan to model the interior? If you are using a floorplan I would recommend bring that into UE4 and using the brush tools to model your building. This has a lot of advantages over SketchUp, you don’t have to worry about UVs, you can block out all the walls with collision. If you aren’t working with a floorplan I still recommend using the brush tool in UE4 to create your interior/building. "