UE4: Up and Running - Community book initiative

I thought it’d be a good idea to start a community-driven book on the wiki. I currently don’t know enough about UE4 to take on the task alone, but hopefully that will be where the community will come in and help make this book a good place for new-comers to start.

I’ve created a bare-bones wiki page as a landing-page for it, but it’s pretty much just me guessing what would be needed in a book like this.

In hindsight it might be a better idea to put the official project on Wikibooks instead, since they have templates and features better suited for books.

One problem I thought while writing it up was that it might clash with the idea of official documentation, and some stuff might get repeated, but most published books run into this problem too, and having it on a wiki means the book can be changed along with the editor, so no need to publish different editions.

But like I said, I’m still learning myself and I’ll probably be updating the table of contents and adding some chapters as I go along, but having this be a shared effort would be great.

Also, if anyone working on the official documentation disapproves of this or if there’s already licensed book deals in the wood-works, then this can be scrapped.

Hi Sonshi,

Just to let you know, we do have an official wiki that if you decide to make this project we encourage you to use freely! Here is the link to the wiki: A new, community-hosted Unreal Engine Wiki - Announcements - Epic Developer Community Forums

Have a great day!

Why not use Epic’s wiki? If it’s organized into a well-thought category tree it would be simple to generate a document/book from it.
(Assuming Epic supports that idea: MediaWiki has a few extensions which can generate pdf documents from category trees, single wiki pages etc…)
And it’s THE central place for community documentation & tutorials that every member can find and use :slight_smile:

Yeah my initial thought was to use the wiki, which is where I created the bare-bones starting page.

If the book becomes pretty structured it’d be great to see some features implemented that Wikibooks has, might encourage more community book projects for things like an advanced scripting/blueprint book.

I might set up some Wiki templates to see if they’ll make the book format more structured, but I’ve not really worked with Mediawiki a whole lot. Unless templates can only be created by administrators.