UE4 UMG tutorial: variables out of scope?

Hello Everyone,

I am currently learning Blueprints on UE version 4.6.1 and am using the UMG tutorial videos here: https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest/INT/Videos/Player/index.html?series=PLZlv_N0_O1gZo6zXTHGGSH8gxaA7a_zCt&video=VjKY6z6uP0M

I am on the last video and wanted to test my project to see how it has come so far before I start the last video. I have done everything as described in the video and kept all the variable names he uses and all the menus work properly except for one part. When I go to use the pickup it deletes itself but doesn’t change my characters status bars(adding health, etc.) In the can pickup blueprint itself in the item was used section where I try to get the variables from the mycharacter blueprint it always says variable out of scope. I have googled and searched on here for about 3 hours or so and tried many different solutions to no avail. I have three screenshots attached showing my setup of the can pickup blueprint where I declare my mycharacter variable and the problem area. If someone could please help me find what is going wrong I would greatly appreciate it as i have re watched the videos and as stated before have tried googling and searching on here. Also if you need any more information or screenshots just let me know. Thank you for your time.

The Problem Area

Declaring the mycharacter variable