UE4 Test Renders [3K] [4K] [GI] [Substance]

I posted these before but I deleted the thread, starting over. I just cannot wrap my head how realtime graphics can be this good. Once VR hits 4K res in both eyes, and super smooth on UE4/ UE5, and with all the tools like Substance (trying out Substance Bitmap 2 Material)…

The MacBook Pro Retinas (3K-ish) and iMac Retina (5K) and 4K TVs can give one an idea of “ultrapixel”(?) gaming going into the future. Of course, they can’t drive 4K games but Nvidia’s Maxwell and Pascal(?) will sort that out.

Full disclosure: I’ve been learning Unity 4/5 for about 2 years now in my spare time, Unreal seems possible to learn. Just a matter of getting a suitable team together. Not a 1-man-show kinda deal especially for PC and Mac delivery platforms. That said, it’s hard to “go back” and invest more time in Unity anymore given what you can get “out-of-the-box” with Unreal.

Assets are from the Marketplace (“Xoio Berlin Flat”, “Blueprint”, “Lightroom”, “Reflections”), “grungy” textures are just what I shot with an iPhone this evening (copper thingy is from Flickr). Apologies to the original asset creators for my abusive re-texturing :slight_smile: …Lightmapping is mostly(?) static/stationary with 100 bounces, “Production” quality.

It’s late, and my mind is blown. I guess this is a discussion about the game industry. What will it be like in 2020 with VR? My goodness… People will not be able to distinguish between the “real” world and the “unreal” (pun unintended) world…

(Click links for 3K and 4K JPG files)

“Xoio Berlin Flat” from Marketplace (Tweaked)

“Sci Fi Bunk” from Marketplace

“Blueprints” from Marketplace (Tweaked)

“Lightroom” from Marketplace replaced with test grungy textures using Substance Bitmap 2 Material Trial

“Reflections” from Marketplace replaced with test grungy textures using Substance Bitmap 2 Material Trial