Ue4: save slot thumbnails

How would I achieve this? Using render targets or something else? I want to capture the screen excluding the ui if possible and save it so I could reference it for later to use as a thumbnail or an image. To summarize, I want to capture the screen, save it as an image, and load it to use as an image while keeping what it captured. Thanks!

Hi, you could use the Execute Console Command node to trigger a screenshot, that’s getting saved. Then just run the hiresshot command from there, which also excludes the UI as you want. Images get saved into the Saved\Screenshots directory of your project.

316248-bp-screenshot.png

Could you explain this in more detail? If I save the images in the directory, what if I want to update the image? I don’t want to have 1000s of old images in the project folder. I would probably be using the images multiple times and need new ones. Thanks!

You are right, this method will do new screenshots and number them, filling up the directory. Interesting topic, there seem to exist many different ways to take screenshot. Doing some search here myself.

I found, that you can use the Take High Res Screenshot Node - specifying a name here will overwrite the file on each shot you take. This also saves into the Saved\Screenshots directory.

316741-screenshot2.png

Another option I found is the Take Gameplay Automation Screenshot Node

316742-screenshot3.png

the name here goes into a subdirectory name in the following directory of the project and creates a png along with a json file…

Saved/Automation/Incoming/testlevel/herbshot1/Windows/D3D11_SM5/f95bd0bd4f82544126b1b1a65d31ef91.png

This also gets overwritten each time, but the first approach seems much easier to handle.

So you could pass in names for the images and keep track of them in an array and start overwriting them as soon as a limit has been reached.

I you like to load images from there, I do not have an idea yet, how this could be done. There’s a Download Image node available, and while many threads claim, that it also works with file:/// URLs, I did only get this work with http protocol. So it might be worth a look into the source code, what URL formats this function supports.
[This one][3] also deals with that question about saving to and loading from disk.

Maybe rendertargets as you mentioned might be the way along with a SceneCapture2D.

EDIT: Just in case you did not come across [this forum thread][4] and [this one][5] , it could be interesting for you.

Thanks! If using http protocol is the only solution could you post an example? I’ve never actually used screenshots before in unreal. Thanks again!