UE4 Running Painfully Slow

Steam and Origin overlays can sometimes cause problems with games

Hey so my editor is also running terribly slow. I’m trying to follow the steps in CyberGolem’s answer, but when I go to the Properties of the launcher.exe, first of all, ‘Target’ is not under ‘General’. So I go to ‘Shortcut>Target.’ I add “-DX12” to the end of the file path, and it doesn’t help. Infact, it makes the shortcut disappear from the start menu entirely. So I try to add it within the quotation marks, still not better. I’m not sure why adding " -DX12" to the target path would do anything anyway. Can anyone be more clear as to what exactly I need to change, or if there’s any other fix? Really need to be able to use UE4 again and cannot until it’s fixed.

Maybe you should check the C: drive to see if it is nearly stuffed. Then you need to clean those useless files, thus to make it have enough room for running UE4.

Colugo, what are your PC specs?

I had the exact same issue. I disabled GeForce Experience overlay AND closed down GeForce experience. Only then did the frame rate recover.

Same issue here (GTX1080, AMD Ryzen 1800X, Win10, UE4.18). Disabling the GeForce experience overlay did the trick, thanks!

I had same problem. I changed under TEXTURES, make sure TEXTURE STREAMING is enabled (ticked) - SOLVED! Thank god.
Yesterday a fairly massive and heavy scene working great, then I tweaked settings etc to solve one thing but then today the file is super slow - cashing much pain.

Hello! I have been suffering the same pain. Suddently UE Editor was working horrible with a LOT of lag and was impossible to work with, just open a BP and move around the different codes and write new nodes and so, was totally maddening. Have been trying to update and also remove Geforce Experience but didnt helped so much.

But now I found what was causing terrible lag to UE Editor.
For some reason, the Anim Blueprint is lagging all the entire Editor so If I keep it open, it becomes hella laggy.

Why could that be happening?
Do I have something on my Anim BP to cause that?
Have anyone experienced the same as me?
Thank you.

I have an issue with UE 4.18 that makes it impossible to work, especially with materials. Every time I make a change and save it it takes forever to process. I noticed that when I open Task Manager UE suddenly returns to normal speed. So I work with UE with Task Manager opened all the time.

Without it, compiling 30 shaders (I used a new material in the scene) took around one hour!

Do you have any experience with the latest releases (4.19)? I’m a bit afraid of updating my version because it may be even more laggy.

I had no issues with 4.17.

Regards.

After suffering for too long from slow UI interaction with DirectX 11, I found my fix.
All I had to do is enter the Editor Preferences and untick the first option there which is “Enable High DPI Support”.
I don’t know how exactly this is connected, but my mouse it at 500 DPI.

Hope this solves the case for some of you.

That has nothing to do with your mouse, that setting will scale buttons based on the DPI of your screen and use higher resolution icons when necessary.

all these people commenting with the same problem (on the unreal engine forum) and no one from unreal engine team has the resolve?
That does not make sense.

Not everyone has the same issue, and a lot of cases can come down to some things: the user has a system that doesn’t meet the minimum hardware requirements, or some setting on their computer is affecting how well UE4 runs (like using the wrong GPU), or there’s a very obscure bug

I suffered with this issue:

• taking about 30 minutes for opening blueprint asset editor (even it was just a simple widget)
  • taking more than 20 seconds for “creating / copying / pasting” any blueprint node
  • every work related to editor was so slow that I said “fxxk” every hour

the system spec was:

• CPU: 9700K
  • RAM: 32GB
  • SSD: 2TB
  • GPU: 1660

what I have tried (not solved):

solution only worked to me:

• delete the project directory and create it from the start (I guess some bad sector caused this issue)

I’m not sure what brand your SSD is, but I know that Samsung has a decent piece of software called Samsung Magician.
Probably want to check out latest NVMe drivers too, if you have that style of SSD.

Samsung Magician lets you update firmware, control over provisioning, run diagnostics etc.
With any luck you’ll be able to find something similar so you can either fix the issue or rule it out as a possibility.

Disable windows telemetry.
Add project folder to anti-virus exceptions.

So I know this is an old article but I figured some people might still need help. I have a GeForce RTX 2070 and I had recently installed a clean OS on my PC and when I ran UE4 it was super laggy and terrible FPS drops. If I focused my cursor into the editor window the FPS would go back up to 120FPS but if I focused my cursor into the content browser, after about 5 seconds it would drop to 5 FPS. My CPU and Graphics card weren’t even above 10% while this was happening so I had no idea what the cause was. Until I realized I had installed the Game Driver for my Graphics card and not the Studio driver. I installed the Studio Driver and restarted my PC and now I have 120FPS across the board.

I7 6700 16 GB RAM and 512 SSD having the same issue. Super dirty and old Windows 10 installation running 4 different web browsers with tons of tabs (have some troubles focusing LOL), and I just wanted to say that this trick did it for me. After I added the " -DX12" (without the quotes) after the target in the shortcut that invokes the Unreal engine (I just got installed the UE 4.27), the slowness went away.

All is working great now :smiley:
DX12

Thank you!

1 Like

My PC setup

RAM: 24GB
GPU: RTX 2070 SUPER
1 TB HDD
Windows 10 pro clean install

I feel the UI is so slow and sluggish. I was using unity before but I didn’t feel any slowness there.

Had the same issue in my i5 12700K pc,
your solution worked for me