UE4 Rollercoaster (Oculus Support)

Playing with scale in VR, this rollercoaster shrinks you down the size of a mouse and zooms you around a living room!

Download v0.2;

To celebrate the release of Unreal Engine 4 I decided to make a rollercoaster! I’ve been interested in playing with scale in VR (like in my RTS demo), so I thought it’d be cool to see what it feels like to be shrunk down to a tiny size. Turns out it’s pretty awesome!

For those of you that are riftless, here’s a full playthrough video;
v=bSUirqb5Rns

Enjoy!

Oh yeah, and I’ve ported the code for my rollercoaster to an Unreal Engine plugin, so you can make your own rollercoaster with doing any coding!

Here’s a tutorial video on how to set it up and make a simple rollercoaster;
v=bja1WkPrN40

More info and download links in here;
https://wiki.unrealengine/Rollercoaster_Plugin

That is awesome Teddy! I have PMed you!

This is outstanding! Yet another reason for me want to swipe someone’s Occulus kit for at least a few days. Thank you so much for putting this together Teddy. =)

Also, side note, I have to say everyday feels like Christmas on the WIP and Released Projects forums. So many interesting and unexpected projects. It is great!

Very interesting! Good thing that all the textures and materials in that level are so ridiculously detailed :slight_smile:

:smiley: Looks pretty cool.

That is absolutely awesome, and thank you for the tutorial video :wink:

Can you explain step by step for noob like me how to make this level blueprint that you already had in the beginning?

Very cool :slight_smile:

Haha this is great, I can feel my stomach lurching already. (Not an insult, the Rift makes me very nauseous)

wow… I need an Oculus Rift! :smiley: I will test the Oculus Rift on Gamescom, maybe (I hope) they have your Demo there :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks a lot for this. I always wanted to build a rollercoaster, but had no UDK / UE experience, so a got a nice start :wink:

I’m having some problems with roll rotation of the track. While everything looks visually okay, the camera swings into opposite direction when i use roll. Any idea where to look for error? I’ll go thru your code, maybe i can find something.

Hi there! UE4 ver 4.2 is out, but your plugin is not compatible with that version! Could you please recompile it for 4.2 version?

I have the same problem with the rotation of the track. Did you find a solution for this?

Thanks

any news about this plugin for ue 4.7?

Has anyone tried to export this to Android?

I’m getting the following errors:

MainFrameActions: Packaging (Android (ETC2)): UnrealBuildTool: U:\UnrealEngine\OtherProjects\UE4RollercoasterProject2\UE4Rollercoaster\Plugins\RollercoasterPlugin\Source\RollercoasterPlugin\Private\RollercoasterPlayerController.cpp(47,1) :  error: unknown type name 'BYTE'
MainFrameActions: Packaging (Android (ETC2)): UnrealBuildTool:         BYTE* HackPtr = (BYTE*)SplineSegment;
MainFrameActions: Packaging (Android (ETC2)): UnrealBuildTool:         ^
MainFrameActions: Packaging (Android (ETC2)): UnrealBuildTool: U:\UnrealEngine\OtherProjects\UE4RollercoasterProject2\UE4Rollercoaster\Plugins\RollercoasterPlugin\Source\RollercoasterPlugin\Private\RollercoasterPlayerController.cpp(47,18) :  error: use of undeclared identifier 'BYTE'
MainFrameActions: Packaging (Android (ETC2)): UnrealBuildTool:         BYTE* HackPtr = (BYTE*)SplineSegment;
MainFrameActions: Packaging (Android (ETC2)): UnrealBuildTool:                          ^
MainFrameActions: Packaging (Android (ETC2)): UnrealBuildTool: U:\UnrealEngine\OtherProjects\UE4RollercoasterProject2\UE4Rollercoaster\Plugins\RollercoasterPlugin\Source\RollercoasterPlugin\Private\RollercoasterPlayerController.cpp(47,23) :  error: expected expression
MainFrameActions: Packaging (Android (ETC2)): UnrealBuildTool:                               ^
MainFrameActions: Packaging (Android (ETC2)): UnrealBuildTool: U:\UnrealEngine\OtherProjects\UE4RollercoasterProject2\UE4Rollercoaster\Plugins\RollercoasterPlugin\Source\RollercoasterPlugin\Private\RollercoasterPlayerController.cpp(229,90) :  warning: 'SafeNormal' is deprecated: Deprecated due to unclear name, use GetSafeNormal instead. Please update your code to the new API before upgrading to the next release, otherwise your project will no longer compile. -Wdeprecated-declarations]
MainFrameActions: Packaging (Android (ETC2)): UnrealBuildTool:         const FVector NewKeyTangent = SplineInfo.EvalDerivative(NewKeyTime, FVector::ZeroVector).SafeNormal();
MainFrameActions: Packaging (Android (ETC2)): UnrealBuildTool:                                                                                                  ^
MainFrameActions: Packaging (Android (ETC2)): UnrealBuildTool: U:\UnrealEngine\_engineInstalls\Unreal Engine\4.7\Engine\Source\Runtime\Core\Public\Math\Vector.h(1666,29) :  note: 'SafeNormal' declared here
MainFrameActions: Packaging (Android (ETC2)): UnrealBuildTool: FORCEINLINE FVector FVector::SafeNormal(float Tolerance) const
MainFrameActions: Packaging (Android (ETC2)): UnrealBuildTool:                              ^
MainFrameActions: Packaging (Android (ETC2)): UnrealBuildTool: 1 warning and 3 errors generated.
MainFrameActions: Packaging (Android (ETC2)): UnrealBuildTool: ERROR: UBT ERROR: Failed to produce item: U:\UnrealEngine\OtherProjects\UE4RollercoasterProject2\UE4Rollercoaster\Plugins\RollercoasterPlugin\Binaries\Android\RollercoasterPlugin-Static-armv7-es2.a
MainFrameActions: Packaging (Android (ETC2)): ErrorReporter.Error: ERROR: AutomationTool error: Command failed (Result:2): U:\UnrealEngine\_engineInstalls\Unreal Engine\4.7\Engine\Binaries\DotNET\UnrealBuildTool.exe UE4Rollercoaster Android Development  U:\UnrealEngine\OtherProjects\UE4RollercoasterProject2\UE4Rollercoaster\UE4Rollercoaster.uproject  -noxge -rocket -NoHotReloadFromIDE. See logfile for details: 'UnrealBuildTool.txt' 
MainFrameActions: Packaging (Android (ETC2)): BuildCommand.Execute: ERROR: BUILD FAILED
MainFrameActions: Packaging (Android (ETC2)): Program.Main: ERROR: AutomationTool terminated with exception:
MainFrameActions: Packaging (Android (ETC2)): Program.Main: ERROR: Exception in AutomationTool: Command failed (Result:2): U:\UnrealEngine\_engineInstalls\Unreal Engine\4.7\Engine\Binaries\DotNET\UnrealBuildTool.exe UE4Rollercoaster Android Development  U:\UnrealEngine\OtherProjects\UE4RollercoasterProject2\UE4Rollercoaster\UE4Rollercoaster.uproject  -noxge -rocket -NoHotReloadFromIDE. See logfile for details: 'UnrealBuildTool.txt' 
MainFrameActions: Packaging (Android (ETC2)): Stacktrace:    at AutomationTool.CommandUtils.RunAndLog(String App, String CommandLine, String Logfile, Int32 MaxSuccessCode, String Input, ERunOptions Options, Dictionary`2 EnvVars)
MainFrameActions: Packaging (Android (ETC2)):    at AutomationTool.CommandUtils.RunUBT(CommandEnvironment Env, String UBTExecutable, String CommandLine, String LogName, Dictionary`2 EnvVars)
MainFrameActions: Packaging (Android (ETC2)):    at AutomationTool.UE4Build.BuildWithUBT(String ProjectName, String TargetName, UnrealTargetPlatform TargetPlatform, String Config, String UprojectPath, Boolean ForceMonolithic, Boolean ForceNonUnity, Boolean ForceDebugInfo, Boolean ForceFlushMac, Boolean DisableXGE, String InAddArgs, Boolean ForceUnity, Dictionary`2 EnvVars)
MainFrameActions: Packaging (Android (ETC2)):    at AutomationTool.UE4Build.Build(BuildAgenda Agenda, Nullable`1 InDeleteBuildProducts, Boolean InUpdateVersionFiles, Boolean InForceNoXGE, Boolean InForceNonUnity, Boolean InForceUnity, Dictionary`2 PlatformEnvVars)
MainFrameActions: Packaging (Android (ETC2)):    at Project.Build(BuildCommand Command, ProjectParams Params, Int32 WorkingCL)
MainFrameActions: Packaging (Android (ETC2)):    at BuildCookRun.DoBuildCookRun(ProjectParams Params)
MainFrameActions: Packaging (Android (ETC2)):    at BuildCommand.Execute()
MainFrameActions: Packaging (Android (ETC2)):    at AutomationTool.Automation.Execute(List`1 CommandsToExecute, CaselessDictionary`1 Commands)
MainFrameActions: Packaging (Android (ETC2)):    at AutomationTool.Automation.Process(String] CommandLine)
MainFrameActions: Packaging (Android (ETC2)):    at AutomationTool.Program.MainProc(Object Param)
MainFrameActions: Packaging (Android (ETC2)):    at AutomationTool.InternalUtils.RunSingleInstance(MainProc Main, Object Param)
MainFrameActions: Packaging (Android (ETC2)):    at AutomationTool.Program.Main()
MainFrameActions: Packaging (Android (ETC2)): Program.Main: ERROR: Command failed (Result:2): U:\UnrealEngine\_engineInstalls\Unreal Engine\4.7\Engine\Binaries\DotNET\UnrealBuildTool.exe UE4Rollercoaster Android Development  U:\UnrealEngine\OtherProjects\UE4RollercoasterProject2\UE4Rollercoaster\UE4Rollercoaster.uproject  -noxge -rocket -NoHotReloadFromIDE. See logfile for details: 'UnrealBuildTool.txt' 
MainFrameActions: Packaging (Android (ETC2)): ProcessManager.KillAll: Trying to kill 0 spawned processes.
MainFrameActions: Packaging (Android (ETC2)): Program.Main: AutomationTool exiting with ExitCode=2
MainFrameActions: Packaging (Android (ETC2)): Domain_ProcessExit
MainFrameActions: Packaging (Android (ETC2)): ProcessManager.KillAll: Trying to kill 0 spawned processes.
MainFrameActions: Packaging (Android (ETC2)): copying UAT log files...
MainFrameActions: Packaging (Android (ETC2)): RunUAT.bat ERROR: AutomationTool was unable to run successfully.
MainFrameActions: Packaging (Android (ETC2)): BUILD FAILED

Some trick required for exporting with custom plugins to android???

I tried both with an old UE4 version of the plugin and with the new 4.7 plugin and get the same error :frowning:

I want to try creating something for the gearvr!

teddy has a 4.7 export near the end of this thread:
https://forums.oculus/viewtopic.php?t=8032

Link for download is no good, I would really like to try this out on my DK2.

I can’t to use RollerCoater plugin under Unreal Engine 4.8. The UE say me that “RollerCoaster failed to load because module ‘RollerCoasterPlugin’ does not appear to be compatible with current version of the engine. The plugin may need to be recompiled”.

@DSMan yes it is outdated for 4.8. try downloading an older build…

as you see in his video he was on 4.3

https://wiki.unrealengine/Rollercoaster_Plugin

try this link :slight_smile:

Hola!! someone know if exist some Rollercoster plugin for UE 4.8 ??
Muchas gracias