UE4, reverbs volumes and performances

Hey guys,

I’m working on a UE4 project with multiplateform in mind. I’m making some tests with reverb volumes to improve the overall realism of each space in our levels and I was wondering if someone could give me some insights about reverb volumes performances.

Let’s assume we have an open area like the example in the picture which is 20 meters by 15 meters (and for instance, at least 10 meters tall… a big room). There are different machinery scattered around the room, walls and well… things that contribute to sound occlusion. Since the engine doesn’t have a realtime reverb engine, I thought it could be nice to block several sections of each rooms with different reverb volumes and reverb setups to give a more realistic feeling of the sound propagation.

In the example, I would create 6 different areas with different reverbs… my questions are :

• is that something that is viable for both PC and console in terms of performance.
  • is that something that I can reproduce throughout a whole level, in each rooms, blocking 1, 2, 3 or more areas with different reverb volumes without impacting performances too much
  • how much reverb volumes costs in term of performance and is it clever or ill advised to use a lot of them

Thanks in advance for your insights.
Cheers.