UE4 or Unity?

First time here. I have been using Unity for a few years because I thought that Unity is easier to use than UDK/Unreal Engine or CryEngine. How does UE4 handle 3D models with more than 65536 vertices? UDK can’t import 3D models with more than 65536 vertices. Unity can import 3D models with more than 65536 vertices by breaking them into two or more parts.

UE4 can as far as I know.

From what I have seen in a couple of posts here and on the UDK forum about poly limits there is basically no set limit besides the hardware limits. I could be wrong but from my understanding it doesn’t have the same issue that UE3/UDK did with models being over 65K

The vert limit has been bumped significantly, though I can’t remember the exact figure.

In all honesty though if you’re peaking those limits, it might be worth re-addressing your art style :wink:

Well,
To be honest, use the one you like “I’m serious”.

Meshes support 32 bit signed indices so you can have 2,147,483,647 (approx 2 billion ) vertices per mesh. Depending on your specs this many vertices will likely cause a performance problem but we do not limit how much you can realistically have.

having some issues importing models. but i guess ill get the hang of it eventually :-p UE4 is far superior to Unity graphics wise :-p

Please post bug reports in the AnswerHub or here in the forums with what you are having trouble with and how to reproduce your issues and we can investigate them and provide more help.

I would definitely say UE4, there was some competition before with UDK and Unity before, but honestly right now in my opinions UE4 blew Unity out of the park, with all the new features, source code, blueprint, market access etc.

I make our living off Unity development since 2010, so obviously I have it fully licensed, paid the first $6,500 on version 3, then spent more than $2,000 to upgrade to v4, now they want me to pay another $1,800 to go to v5… no source code and a very strict license that bars everything that is not just a game (limitations introduced in v4). Unity Tech is asking on average $80,000 per title where the standard license doesn’t apply… unacceptable.

UDK was not good for our needs, but now that UE4 is out under this licensing style, with full C++ source and supporting the 4 most important platforms I don’t see why we should keep using Unity. Sure, UE4 is not mature yet, so we’ll stick with Unity for paying the bills until UE4 is complete enough for production, but that’s as far as we’ll go with Unity.

Sure, UE4 will cost us more because of that 5%, but it’s not beforehand and we’re happy to pay that to be able to use UE4 with full source access: that is a game changer, enabling us to do almost anything with the engine, and without license limitations about the type of software we produce.

And from what I see, UT is planning to charge another $1500 for WebGL. They are just going too far with their platform milking.

Yup, unless Mozilla Corp. follows in the steps of Blackberry and Microsoft covering the cost of Pro platforms to push games into it (I doubt it). UT was an Indie friendly company… now they are just a company selling a very good engine.

UE4 has totally outrun Unity on licensing terms, actual cost and features as well, so I guess we’ll see a lot more Unity customers switching to UE4.

I’m sitting way outside by the whole “A vs B” thing, I’m perfectly happy having choice - lap it up, don’t fight over the scraps :slight_smile:

However, from my understanding they’ve invested a lot of money in their WebGL implementation, and stands to reason they want a ROI. But importantly they’re worried about future developments that may allow WebGL targets to run on platforms that currently require a specific license, which isn’t unreasonable.

Does that mean developing for web in UE4 is a better proposition? Well, could be :slight_smile: