UE4 or UE5

Hi guys. I’m new to UE but I already understood how it works. However I need to start a new project for a game I want to make by my self but I don’t know what version fits better for me. I’m new so tutorial and examples are important to me. I’d like to use UE4 because it’s more stable and lighter than 5. I need some human characters and metahuman is fundamentally. Idk how to make realistic human without it or without buying anything external. I need fluid system too which is not stable and full in 5 yet. What do you recommend?

Hi Techttv,

You can always update UE4 projects to UE5. (But you cannot downgrade projects). For following tutorials, UE5 is not TOO different than UE4, so most tutorials should be compatible. Consider installing both.

I haven’t had any major stability issues with UE5, and adjusting/disabling some graphics settings you can ‘lighten the heaviness’. (Just use in-editor scalability settings to start)

Throwing Metahuman and Fluids into the mix, UE5 is my recommendation. (And install UE4 so you can easily check any differences/problems you might run into doing tutorials.)

Hope that gives you some context, welcome to the forums!

Well they all have issues right now with certain bridges when they worked in previous versions fine.
They just released a preview version of 5 which is 5.1.0 and has no point in development as it’s just a experimental editor which isn’t much good for development purposes.
5.03 has it’s own set of conflicts with the change of physics from 4.27 which uses a different physics engine & render setting then 5.
Since the release of 5 none of the versions work correctly for me giving me errors when importing FBX files for conversion, since my bridges between certain editors like daz3d fail to work it put all my projects on hold because i will not purely use Epic marketplace resources when creating projects.
5 has no real point in development unless you work for Unreal because most people have issues using it, also finding any upto date information on new settings and features isn’t real informative & most youtubes on subjects are for old versions or have out of date information and are missing vital steps in the development processes because of version changes.
I suspect most people running older versions will not convert to 5 because of many issues during conversion, most bp’s will turn bad because they are tied to a different physics template.