UE4 on Linux Must Be Improved

That’s it! The lack of cross-compilation on Linux is the problem for me because I need to build an app for various platforms. You can live without the Launcher and the binary version, but not with cross-compilation. You need to have Windows machine, Mac machine, etc.

I understand what you are tying to say, but how would you test your games without having the machines anyway.=

Testing it on VMs is okay, but lets face is VM 3D Acceleration is sketchy as all hell and that wouldn’t work anyway.

Testing it on the physical machines is better for you in the long run as you will be able to deliver binaries that you have tested actually work.

Yes, I think it’s the solution. DUALBOOT! I will install OpenSUSE as the second OS. There’s no other way out but use Windows 10 and OpenSUSE on one machine. Mac is not so important for me, Android, iOS are important.

OK, a dualboot. I see there’s no choice for me. Yes, testing is important.

Hello
I’m linux UE4 user
This is one of my works with UE4 as rendering engine

UE4 runs fine on linux, but it worse than running on windows for now.

Awesome work! It’s really great stuff.

I noticed that UE4 works hellish bad on Windows 10 (the same with Unity). Alas, my client forces me to use Windows. If only I could build for Windows on Linux.

Of course, I have crashes of Launcher and Engine all the time after a longer time of using them, not immediately. When I work all day, I get an message from Windows that Launcher has just stopped working and I need to close it. And restart. The UE4 itself usually died later. Sometimes I get an error with some C++ libraries or so. Sometimes, UE4 is frozen for some time - I click and no reaction. Rarely, I have glitches. However, much more glitches I experience with Unity. The best example is when I try to add a component to a gameobject and use a button “Add component” I don’t see the components because all the names of components are blurred. I’m forced to move the cursor a few times to have a possibility to read the names. There are other glitches too.

I use MSI GE62 6QC Apache, NVIDIA GTX960M. i7, the computer bought by my client that is why I keep Windows, but I really have a strong desire to install Linux. I wait only for a new OpenSUSE Leap 42.2 that is my favourite distro.

I don’t know. I hope I will be able to install Linux on the hardware. The problem can be NVIDIA. It would be better to have AMD. But this computer is from my client.

+100!!

:smiley:

https://snapcraft.io/

Dual booting is not a solution. We’re not telling our Linux clients to dual boot. So when a Linux bug that break a rendering feature takes a year to be resolved, that’s bad.

Again, linux gaming accounts for <1% of PC gaming. Of actual “next-gen” or “current-gen” style gaming, it’s probably closer to 0.01%. Most of the linux games are on par with cellphone games. Basically, it’s extremely low priority and not worth the resources…

But on the other hand, we ALL (even Windows and Mac users) should be interested in diversity on the market. It is advantageous for all of us. Thanks to Vulkan, we have Dirctx12. Most people don’t want to remember that monopoly isn’t good for users. In other words, use your Windows or Macs and support Linux. Don’t behave like fanboys of any OS - just DIVERSITY. These words are addressed to all that are against UE4 on Linux.

1 Like

It wouldn’t necessarily be for gaming, but for development. I can assure you things that were intentionally built for Linux/Debian run better than anything on earth. I can render 2,000,000 polygons in Blender on Ubuntu, and be able to move around on my screen. I cannot do this without something crashing in windows. Let alone some scan starting, or update taking place, and consuming processes that are needed by the software i’m running. From a work perspective. There is nothing better than Linux built apps. Every program I have ever used runs better in Linux. Now if Epic made a .deb or rpm package with launcher it would be great. You would see everything being way more stable. It will get there. [COLOR=“#0000FF”]**Linux kernel accounts for almost 80% of devices running world wide. The problem is publishers don’t publish to linux PC’s. PS4 is running Linux, and so is Switch. **[/COLOR]

1 Like

Is it really so difficult to create a flatpak or snap of UE4? Does it consume SO MUCH resources? I don’t think so. With .deb or .rpm can be problems to run on most distros, but containers seem the best solution. It’s true that many apps work better on Linux platform. Full power is available for users. Internally, Linux is the king, not Windows, not Mac, just Linux. The problem isn’t Linux, but support of companies/corporations like Epic.

1 Like

Not just Epic, but tons of companies in general. Users wan’t to be able to run everything. I don’t blame them. The trade off is a huge risk. Especially in the realms of security, and lost production. I’m easily aggravated by nuances. Windows kills me. I lose so much time due to aggravation. Not just on my UE4 project, but in all aspects of forced windows work. The endless notifications, beeps, alarms, scans, updates, and process failures. Files you can’t delete, bloatware, and processes that can’t be cancelled. there are so many other issues with hibernation files, and virtual memory. I bought a new gaming laptop with gtx1070 that came with 128gb ssd. It had 60gb as the operating system non updated. Plus 15gb of bloatware, and 5gb of free games in it. It had 80gb of storage on date of purchase. now down to 39. I had to spend days slaughtering the non necessary only to find them re installed at the next non scheduled interrupting update. My computer is not my computer. It is on lease through microsoft, and dells TOS.

1 Like

I understand you very well. Agree!

Regarding the UE4 on Linux, they have UE4 sources that are maintained by the UE4 community so what a problem to pack them up into an universal container?

Maybe, gamers are too deep into virtual words to understand what’s happening in reality. They don’t care. They care of FPS ;). But gamers are gamers - a very specific world. Other thing is important. Why the Linux sources aren’t packed up into flatpak or snap? Epic, why???

I have packed them up. It doesnt feel so stable. I struggled getting 4.16 in. with clang 3.9.1, and reloading libcon files. I’m still hesitating with this release. I’ve been going back and forth through a debian distro, and win 10. Nice thing is I can move my windows files around in linux. I use Blender, Gimp, and Substance painter in Linux. I run Maya LT, and Ue4 in windows. That’s it. A lot of people have problems cooking their project in linux. Also dont have a launcher, and marketplace/content. Kite demo runs great on the linux version, but windows starts locking, and fps falls. I have all my assets on a “home cloud” I built with an old 2 core, and an external drive. I look forward to the day when I can only use a Linux version. I have ran through about 2 dozens distros, and just went with debian recently because of extra programs associated with it. I like Mint the best though tbh. A lot of good programs are being built for chrome with .deb packages. So debian is making headway in the apps department. No need to even open terminal. I’m pretty sure google is going to build Chrome os into something bigger later.

Everyone benefits with Linux. Not just gamers. Entire countries have declared Linux it’s official OS including China. So Windows will continue to erode. Funny. Windows doesnt even use it’s own version of windows server. Apparently 96% of servers in the world don’t use it either, and yet they still charge an enormous amount for the program. People are just used to the convenience of win32. Now msft is killing win32.

It’s bad it isn’t stable :(. There’s a lack of Epic support. I’m in a better situation because I use Blender, GIMP and sometimes MakeHuman. It would be great to have a good build of UE4. That’s why I use Unity now.