UE4 nVidia GPU requirement

hello everyone,

i read about UE4’s hardware requirement as written here: Häufig gestellte Fragen - Unreal Engine
it says: NVIDIA GeForce 470 GTX

however the GPU power consumption is too high for me.

i also read http://gpuboss.com/gpus/GeForce-GTX-750-Ti-vs-GeForce-GTX-470
GTX 750 Ti is cheaper and consumes much lower power.

i’m wondering whether GTX 750 Ti is capable of running UE4, or there are any other alternative nVidia GPUs with much lower power consumption for this.
your suggestion is appreciated with thanks. :slight_smile:

That’s recommended specs, it’ll run on much less but that’s what’s recommended for good performance. It’s unclear how well it would run on the 750ti there might be someone with that card that has posted their performance but I would think that it wouldn’t be too bad.

I use the GTX 750ti in my home rig and have had no problems with it what so ever. There may be some others using it as well, but from my experience I’ve been fine.

My home rig:

I’m not using fully recommended specs. I have a dual core processor with 16gb ram and the 750 ti. A quad core would definitely help in some of my compile and build times but for my personal and side projects I’ve not noticed anything that would keep me from doing what I’ve wanted to thus far.

I hope this helps!

Tim

I have access to a machine with an Ivy cpu and a 750ti and have to say that it’s ok for developing and trying out, but you’d hit fps limits real fast on Epic settings. It’s a Gainward Golden sample model that comes overclocked out of the box and is further overclocked by a notch, so it’s definitely one of the faster versions you can get. Most of the demos from the marketplace drop below 20fps at times. Tested the recent landscape demo on it too yesterday and looking over the whole landscape with the ice pond in fov, fps dropped down to 16 in 2560x1080 res.

If you’re planning to develop for Oculus I can’t recommend using it as you will have a very hard time having constant 60 or 75 fps even with modest screen percentage settings.
I primarily use a 780ti and things work a lot smoother with that obviously (although still hitting limits with VR).

If it’s not urgent I’d wait for the 800 series and get a 860 which will be much closer or maybe even on level with a 780.

thanks everyone.

my specs is amd phenom II X4 955 quad core and 8 Gbytes RAM.
my current PSU and budget don’t support gtx 470 or above.

i’m in urgent need to learn animation workflow in UE4. 30 fps is the minimum speed i need.

i just found this :

he/she got 33-35 fps when recording the video.

Specs:
╔►CPU: Intel core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4 GHz (Overclock to 3.0 GHz)
╠►GPU: ASUS GTX 550 ti GDDR5 (Stock clocks)
╠►HDD: Seagate 500 GB Hard drive
╠►OS: Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit
╠►RAM: 4 GB DDR3 Kingston 1333 Mhz
╚►PSU: Corsair cx430 80 Plus Bronze

do you think there are any issues with gtx 550 ti running UE4 i need to know?

thanks again

Do you have a budget in mind? Or are you just trying to get the cheapest card that will run UE4? (Unfortunately this last one will be hard as it will depend on how heavy the level is).

I have a low budget for this, so I’m trying to get the cheapest card that will run UE4.
My purpose is not for gaming experience, but only to test animation workflow in UE4.

Then get the 750ti. The 550 seems to be out of stock in most places and not cheaper. The 750Ti is around 105-120 Euro here in Germany.

I ran the realistic room render demo on the OCed 750Ti machine. Min. 51 fps, max. 65 fps in 1920x1080. Hope that helps.

thanks kklors, in my country gtx 550 ti cards are still available, priced about 77-97 euro, while gtx 750 ti are about 100-129 euro.
i don’t think i’ll need more than 30 fps for animation workflow tests.

I understand what you mean. For animating a character or two you’d be fine, especially because you can tone down the settings a bit.

However without advertising the 750 and knowing about the Maxwell advantages, quoting this article: LINK

I think a one time price difference of 30 Euro is a high price to pay for a card that is half as fast and draws more electricity and makes more noise.

that’s it, i’ll get gtx 750 ti then! thanks so much kklors, i think gtx 750 ti is overall better than 550 ti, mainly for its power consumption.

thanks for your suggestion. :slight_smile:

Hi there,

the UE4 (the Pre-Alpha at least) runs on nearly any Computer.

Hell it even runs on my 5 Year old Laptop smooth in High-Details:
Processor: Intel(R) Core™2 Quad CPU Q9000 @ 2.00GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.0GHz
Memory: 6144MB RAM
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260M (The one with the G98-Chip)

And the FPS is smooth and no lag on High-Settings.

It is like every Unreal Engine Game. It don t need much Power too look very good.

thanks braverlumpl! that’s my point.
i understand gaming enthusiasts are willing to invest on high end hardware specs to get an excellent gaming experience.
but this is not my case; i just need to research animation workflow in UE4, so i’ll choose whichever cheaper card with lower power consumption too.

my current graphics card is a 4-year radeon 5670 hd; it’s time to upgrade it with budget in mind. :slight_smile: