Download

UE4 Limitations?

I’m looking to get into game development. I really enjoy gaming, so me and a couple friends figured why not start trying to make games?
My question is, what are (if any) the limitations of Unreal Engine 4 vs. Unity, Spark Engine, Cryengine, Frostbite, or Source.

Unreal Engine 4 seems to have a lot of beginner-friendly options, but Unity 5 is coming out and there’s a lot of amazing games being developed with that engine as well.

Also, what engine do you recommend for first-time coders?

If by “first-time coders” you mean you have no prior programming knowledge, then the Unity blueprint system might be more fitting for you. However, if you actually plan on doing coding, then C# (Unity) is a bit easier to understand and beginner-friendly. “Unreal C++” can be a bit confusing if you have no C++ experience and therefore don’t understand what some of the things mean.

About limitations, I really wouldn’t mind too much. If you want to develop a certain genre it can be nice if the Engine already comes with a sample game - but you can pretty much do what you want in Unity or Unreal Engine anyway. I don’t think any hobby dev will have problems with that. However, with Unreal Engine you have complete access to the source meaning that you could alter anything you want.

“Limitation” is a relative term.
To be honest it can vary depending on who you ask, but I’ll try and give you the most basic, objective breakdown that I can.

Source Engine: UE4 has primitive (pun intended) geometry tools, unlike Source which is used to create levels sometimes solely built using brushes (environment wise, props are static meshes of course).

Cryengine: Other than some lighting features, UE4 has it all.

Unity: I honestly have no clue what Unity 5 has over UE4 if anything. Unity 5 Pro is $75/month so… I guess if you pay you help out the developers? Maybe?

Spark Engine: I’ll look into this one…

For first time coders?
Well that depends on what you mean by “first time.”

Do you have experience coding, but this is your first time coding for a game or is this your first time coding all together?
If its the latter, and you are serious about Programming for games, I suggest you start off with some tutorials and learn to code before jumping into to UE4’s or any engine’s source code or project files.

If you have experience with C++ UE4 is a good choice it terms of programming.

Before you start anything of course I suggest you familiarize yourself with the engine and read/watch tutorials to get you started.

I hope this helped,
~ Jason

Unreal engine beats Unity 5 by far in my opinion, I was in the same place as you not long ago(before UE4 was free) and the first engine i started to try work with was Unity. I gained alot of knowledge about how games are created when i was trying to learn Unity but i wasn’t actually getting anywhere with it and i didn’t feel comfortable in the engine as i don’t know how to program(something i want to learn in the future). When i came across a video that unreal engine had became free to all i immediately went to download it and i was impressed with what i was giving in the starter packs and what i had heard about the blueprint system which from what I’ve heard is like visual scripting. At the moment i have been learning how to create game art in Autodesk maya. I highly recommend unreal engine 4.

I’m guessing when you say limitations you mean “can this engine create professional standard games”. The answer is yes as its been used to create big game titles such as Thief, Gears of War, Bioshock Infinite, Dying Light, Borderlands series and loads more

here is a list http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Unreal_Engine_games

keep in mind some of the games on that list were made in unreal engine 1 back in the playstation 2 days

I have some experience coding small Java things to do with minecraft mods a few years ago, but otherwise I have no experience coding anything. I’m willing to learn C++ and all that stuff, especially because I want to. I’m just looking for whatever is the most beginner friendly code-wise.

My suggestion is learn Blueprints first … so you can get familiar with the engine and the way it works. Then learn to convert your Blueprints to C++ code … this way you will know what it is supposed to do in Blueprints and therefore have the working example to compare against.

After that … you can start learning more C++ and the intricacies involved with C++.

actually the best thing to do IMO for you and your friends, is start learning and doing tutorials not just watching them .
and this is not relative to UE4 or game developpement only but in general

My only con for Ue4 at the moment are the editor crashes. If you are writing C++ you probably know what I am talking about. 95% of the crashes are caused by some bad code and it is very easy to figure out which part of your code causes the crash but it is still annoying.

I haven’t used Unity much but I have never crashed the editor with gameplay code.

Spark Engine -> under dev, we can’t discuss to much about it, except looks good for year 2000.

Source -> No idea what’s about 2.0, but old stuff was CS centric, coming from Quake sources.

Unity -> Good for small/medium projects maybe, updates comes with snail speed, and you are depending on Asset Store on everything, because I think dev’s don’t care to much about making games, more like making the engine build for different platforms. You will probable try it and move to something else.

Cryengine -> TOP engine, with minuses and pluses. Not for beginners. If you come to game dev now with out experience you will hit the wall.

UE4 -> TOP engine, regular updates and improvements, and all this nice community that started to build from last years. Minuses? Well, there are some, but dev’s comes with regular updates so, by the time you will finish a game you will not find any:)

Now…

FROSTBITE -> Don’t even think about it. That’s for big guys and not for starters, with big $$$, and even if you have money I think you have to ask Dice if they like you:) Imo Frostbite beat everything right now, even UE4, CE3 (Unity is to low for this league).

• Crysis is hard to pick up and hard to code , with very poor forum support and tutorials are missing
  • Unity can run on mid and low hardware PC and mobile keeping a good speed , but graphics are not good if you compare them to Unreal 4.
  • Unreal 4 has better graphics , it needs last 3D cards to deliver good graphics with a good frame rate (and the editor consumes lot of power)
    For first time coder Unity is more appropriated.

Thanks guys! This is helping a bunch! It’s quite obviously evident that I need to learn C++, does anyone know any good sources besides youtube?

You could either buy some sort of book about C++ or take a course in C++, whether it be at school, university or elsewhere.

… or just use the internet. There are literally thousands of resources and tutorials on C++. If you keep to the standard libraries … you will be good to go. 8-}

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rub-JsjMhWY

It’s just one large beginner library.

~ Jason

UE4 can’t run on older PC hardware pre Dx11; that’s the only real ‘limitation’ I see.

That’s not true. I had it running on a six-year-old laptop with dx10 flawlessly, except for the fact that it lagged like hell.

Unity is better solution for 2D, its a lot litter engine where UE4 is massive and you wont use most of it in UE4, not mention it has C# that postUnity users here are addicted to. I also remember hearing that CryEngine got ready ocean solution where UE4 missing that. At the end its all about what you comftible with.

I can confirm that you need just SM4.0 GPU (DirectX is not hardware, it MS marketing makes you think that), UE4 absolute minimum requirements are way lower then people think, you can run UE4 game on Window XP too.

Try HERE…It has helped me a lot …It is cheap and has a free trial…hope this helps…

I second this!

Thanks guys for all the help! :smiley: