UE4 hangs on dialogue boxes

I was trying to import FBX files as per the third person tutorial, which would cause the engine to hang on the import options dialog box. I also tried another royalty free FBX and found it to hang again. I initially noticed it when importing a gun FBX as for some reason in the first person template, the character doesn’t appear to be holding a gun in his hand. I’ve been working on a model in MakeHuman and would like to import it eventually but wouldn’t be able to get past this hang.

I just noticed that when I click the color picker bar for lighting, which I believe should bring up the “Color Picker”, it also hangs. It’s as though anytime a dialog box should open, the engine hangs, forcing me to force close the engine.

I’m running the engine on an MSI GE72-2QF laptop, which has the following spec:
i7-4720HQ @ 2.60 GHz,
16GB RAM DDR3L 1600MHz,
64-bit running Windows 10,
3GB GTX970M,
Solid State Drive.

Anyone ever have this issue? I currently have Microsoft Visual 2015 Community installed as opposed to 2013 (if that helps at all). UE version is 4.8.3. Many thanks.

Hi AarunJon,

We do not currently support VS 2015, if you install 2013, does this error still occur?

Not sure why my comment I added isn’t showing but I’ll add again.

Hi ,

I’ve uninstalled 2015 and installed 2013 and it hasn’t resolved the problem.

I’m also encountering another error, this time with some reference to a runtime error. I’ve attached a print screen of the error, which I noticed when in the level blueprint after I drag a wire from a reference node.

After a bit of searching, I came across a similar question posed by another user, at this link:

I attempted to follow through and so far found a few visual C++ redistributables from the list attached by (Unreal Staff) and proceeded to install them, but with no luck so far.

I also noticed that the OP in the above thread has a laptop by MSI as well, just like me. Not sure if there’s a link there or not, but worth mentioning.

He seemed to resolve his issue by closing out some MSI graphics softwares, so I’ll attempt in the meantime to find which ones he was referring to, as it may just solve my problem too!

Can’t find exactly what the OP of the aforementioned post was referring to regarding his MSI optimisation software, but I’m assuming it was MSI afterburner which is referenced in forums online. I don’t have MSI afterburner installed so i’m stuck.

I met the same problem, I mean, exactly the same. My laptop is Msi GT80. Hope it has nothing to do with Msi laptops…

Hi AarunJon,
I met the same problem as you did and now I have solved the problem by closing all the msi applications. Your question page led me to the solution. Thank you so much! I will be really glad if my answer can help you. Please look at the picture below.! alt text

Does it help? Those were the applications I didn’t shut down. Actually, the problem has nothing to do with the Afterburner, just simply shut down other msi software, the problem would be solved. No more freeze and stuck(smile). Again, sincerely, thank you very much.

Hey Tony, good to hear you’ve fixed the problem! I checked your attached pics and your solution has worked for me as well! Nice to know my post helped you, and in turn you were able to help me hahaa. I’ll try and pinpoint which software exactly causes the issue!

Haha AarunJon, glad to see my solution works for you. It’s 1 a.m. in China now. Time to sleep(smile). I am also a newbee on UE4, let,s enjoy the journey of study.

Thanks Tony, good teamwork!

I’ve found the cuplrit on my laptop and I hope this helps someone else in the future too.

If you have Nahimic for MSI installed on your laptop, close it before launching the Unreal Editor, and you should be good to go!

I’ve attached one final screenshot of the Nahimic icon. I could do with or without Nahimic altogether, but it’s personally upto you.

Go Team MSI! :stuck_out_tongue:

I know this is old but I just want to say thank you. I had been pulling my hair out trying to import meshes, when I tried to save a level I knew there was something else interfering. No Idea what Nahmic is, never even heard of it but closing that fixed all my woes (for now, they will be plenty more in the furture :P)

Thanks again!

Hey emerald-shine, just glad my post helped. I must give credit to Tonyhd who contributed to solving this issue significantly. Honestly I don’t even use Nahimic, it’s used for changing the equaliser settings on the laptop depending on what type of sound you want. It works great, but I tend to have it turned off ever since. The MSI site does have the Nahimic software and it does mention updating the BIOS before installing, so it could be my BIOS firmware is outdated. Just a thought! Good luck