UE4 Editor Using Camera Actor in Viewport

This may seem like a stupid question, but I can’t for the life of me work out how to change the viewport in the editor to show from the Camera Actor (instead of just having a small sample window in the view port I want to see it full sized (with the FOV and every other setting I’ve added). Please help.

Hey JustinSA -

There is a way to change and lock the main viewport to a particular camera actor. (See my steps below) There is also a way to up the size of the preview window in the Editor Preferences under Level Editor >> Viewport >> Look and Feel >> “Camera Preview Size”, by default it is set to 5.0. Both options might be helpful.

Hope this helps you out,
Eric Ketchum

To Change and Lock the Main Viewport to a Camera Actor:

Right-Click the CameraActor and select “Snap View to Actor”

With the Viewport now snapped to the camera actor, click on the dropdown menu at the upper left of the viewport and select Lock Viewport to Actor >> Lock to [Name of Camera Actor]

The main viewport will now control and show the view from your camera actor including FOV (hence the black bars) and show a padlock icon in the upper left.

To unlock the viewport, simply click on the dropdown menu at the upper left of the viewport and select Lock Viewport to Actor >> Unlock from [Name of Camera Actor]

1 Like

If it helps, you can click on Perspective, at the bottom check “Cinematic Viewport”, then go back to Perspective and click on which camera you want to preview. Cheers.

6 years later and this thread is still helping people (meaning me)! Thank you Lovecraft_K.

Same - just helped me. Odd that you can’t right click on the mini view and turn it off or scale it there. Hidden in the prefs. Thanks!!

Or dock it. Docking it would be nice.