UE4 Editor on Linux and Windows sending my tv service down

When starting UE4Editor on linux build 4.7.3 3dluvr, and also on Windows official from the site 4.7.2.
When it loads the editor just before it go to the project browser about 90% more or less my tv service goes down, tested in both systems.
Tested without the ethernet cable connected to pc and the tv service does not go down, only when i open the UE4Editor and the cable is connected.
First notice this problem on linux and just to confirm tested also on windows.

Hi Ruben,

About to overload you with questions because we had a user with a similar issue and he just stopped responding after I sent him some things to try. If this is a bug on our end, I want to gather as much info as possible.

Is your internet service through the cable company and does the internet cut out too?

What Cable Company is it? What is your modem, router, etc setup? Is there a splitter coming from the wall outlet to both your modem and TV/Cable Box?

Does it go down for the entirety of your time spent in the editor or only temporarily?

Hi, my internet service is from cable service, and no actually only the tv service is cut off.
Iḿ in portugal, my cable service is MEO, link to site : https://www.meo.pt/suporte/ajuda-e-suporte/televisao/equipamentos/routers

Let me see if i can explay the setup, so an optic cable comes from a box in the wall and connects to the modem, also a cable TV signal, then is connected from the modem to the router by a cable with a terminal RJ45, then from the router one cable connects to the TV BOX, and another to the computer.

At 90 % loading of UE4 my tv freezes the the tv service goes down, 1 minute more or less, it comes back stay a couples of minutes on then goes down again, and there so. As long as the Editor is executing, tested on LInux and Windows Also.

My Router Is a THomson TG784n.
My Moden Is a HUAWEI EchoLife HG861.
My TV BOX Is A CISCO ISB2201.
I NOtice in my linux at time this message appears in my terminal the tv service freezes:
[2015.03.22-01.45.50:845][ 0]LogConsoleResponse:Display:

Hey Ruben,

Can I also ask what your expected internet speed is supposed to be?

Also, are you using source control?

Hi, my internet speed is 50mbps, i dont understand what you mean about source control. Can you be more specific.

I checked o the terminal:
[2015.03.26-10.51.14:431][ 0]SourceControl: Info Source control is disabled
[2015.03.26-10.51.14:436][ 0]SourceControl: Info Source control is disabled

the first thing i would try is checking which ports are open and close everything with iptables and see if problem persists

I’d like to have you try something. So you said the service comes back for a little while, right? After you open the editor, can you close the Epic Games Launcher? Then continue using the editor and let me know if it still cuts out.p

Hi Mattt W., at the time im using UE 4.7.4 Linux, theres no Epic Launcher.
But i’ve tried already on windows , that solution and it didn’t work as the same effect, i can point that the problem is not on ue4 launcher,
I’ve tried 3 systems winth the same hardware.
Linux, Windows, And OSX " Hackintosh ".

I have one more question before I bump this up the chain to see if anybody knows what it could be. Does the television signal cut out during any other activities? Is it only the editor?

I was also wondering if you tried greboide’s suggestion.

I did notice one odd thing in your description of your setup. You said that two cables come from the wall. One to your modem and one cable tv signal. However later you say the TV Box is connected to the Router. Where does that cable tv signal from the wall go to? Is that what’s cutting out or is it the TV Box signal?

Sorry for the confusion.

Only the UE4 Editor, any other program in my system has no effect with the my tv signal, so the main cable is optical fiber that connects to the modem, also a standard tv cable “Coaxial cable”, both connects to the modem, the modem then distributes a cable with Rj45 terminal to the router, from the router, 2 cables goes out one for my tv box other for my pc.

Hey Ruben,

I talked with some of our engineers and one gave me a suggestion. I can only assume your using a source build from github (especially because you’re on linux).

Can you navigate to Engine\Plugins\Messaging\UdpMessaging and then open up UdpMessaging.uplugin in a text editor? On line 20 you will see this:

"BlacklistPlatforms" : [ "HTML5" ]

Please change it to:

"BlacklistPlatforms" : [ "HTML5", "Win64", "Linux" ]

This will tell the UdpMessaging plugin not to run on Windows and Linux. They suspect that it might be using a port that interferes with your cable signal.

Let me know if that helps and we can go from there.

Ok i can confirm that works, i started UE4Editor after changing the lines on the file and now my tv service wont stop, work’s like a charm, thank you.

That’s great!! Glad we could help you out. I’m still investigating if there is anything we can do with UDPMessaging so that it doesn’t do this anymore.

Thanks,

Hey Ruben, sorry for the trouble. I have no idea right now what could be wrong. Your TV service and UdpMessaging both use multicast - my best bet is that your particular router does not handle multicast traffic correctly.

Would you have the opportunity to try a different router - even if just for an hour? It would be interesting to see whether the problem goes away.

I’ll try to get my hands on a Thomson TG784n, but I can’t promise anything. In the meantime, there’s nothing else I can suggest. Unfortunately, disabling UdpMessaging will also disable some functionality in the Editor, particularly in the Session Frontend. But you may not need that right now.

I’m planning to implement an option for the UDP transport that uses broadcast instead of multicast, but I don’t know yet when I will have time to do that. Hopefully sometime later this year.

I did some quick research online, and at least one site indicated that a similar device (the TG712) does not switch multicast traffic correctly.

If you can’t replace your Thomson router for whatever reason, you can also try to put another router between it and your computer and see if that helps.

Thanks at the moment im using the blacklist solution in the UdpMessaging plugin. But thanks all the effort to try to fix this i really apreciate.