UE4 Devlog: Procedural City Generation

Great! Following you now.
If there is anything I can do to help like testing it with other meshes, materials or what ever, just let me know!
A system like this would be a godsend for me, I do not want to spend the time I did in UDK building my hundreds of modular apartments again.

ApoorvaJ, Please add captioning to your videos because I’m hearing-impaired.

@Sitrec:
Thanks for your enthusiasm and offer. :slight_smile: I will definitely let you know as soon as the tool is ready for testing.

@jeffmorris:
I tried adding captioning to the latest YouTube video, but the process seems to take a lot of time. I try to minimize the amount of production time I put into these videos, and I hope you’ll understand. When I make tutorial videos of the tool when it’s done, I’ll be sure to either add captioning or also make a written tutorial.

Vlog #6 is up!

ApoorvaJ, Please make a written tutorial or write down what you said in the videos and send me the text file.

Vlog #7 is up, in which I demo the ability to add custom building presets without modifying the C++ code, the ability to add doors and finally generating different types of building collision data.

Fantastic! Great to see your progress, good job!

Did this project die? Due to this ? Strange seams visible in Instanced Static Meshes - Rendering - Unreal Engine Forums

Definitely a shame if so…

@Rohlo: I kinda feel bad for not posting an update here. :slight_smile:

The project is most definitely not dead.

I’ve been working on it steadily, making significant code structure improvements. The vertex normal issue you linked to, took a long time to figure out. It’s still not solved, but at least now I know what the exact problem is. That problem is a pain but not a show-stopper. I am working around it.

I’ve also been working on bringing my last puzzle game - Socioball - to Android. That has been a primary focus for me over the last month and now the bulk of the work on that front is done. I’m now focusing on this project again.

If all goes well, I hope to have a demoable, full-scale system by early June.

Hey there,

we have the new prefixes for threads an i can’t really decide what you thread is about.

Would you say this is a tool, a scene or later on a game? If nothing matches your topic,
then i will just leave the prefix empty. (:

This is most definitely going to be tool for now. Might turn into a game some time later :wink:

Ok, changed it. Feel free to PM a Mod if you wish to change the prefix later on.

New vlog is up, in which I demo a new type of component I added to the system - called the embeddable - which makes it easy to interactively embed things like doors/balconies to buildings.

I have also been working on enabling large scale experiences such as generating large amounts of interesting content procedurally, and controlling the rendering batching of that content to maintain performance. More on that soon. :slight_smile:

Wow Every time I visit this thread you blow my mind. :slight_smile:

Keep up the Awesome work!

Really impressive stuff! Looking forward to seeing more! Any news or plans for interiors?

Hey ApoorvaJ -

Any news on this? It has been a while since the last VLog.

@Sitrec: No plans on interiors, though I am going to add a RoofEmbeddable component to enable users to easily punch rectangular holes in roofs for stairs and such. From my actual experience with this tool, creating interiors by hand is much more flexible, and quite easy.

@HeadClot: I am hard at work on a large-scale demo of the tool. Look forward to a video release later this month. :slight_smile:

Hey AproorvaJ -

Glad to hear on the demo of the tool.

On Customization of the buildings - The buildings look rather bland as is.

Will we be able to use our own static meshes for the facades and the like?

If so how? Similar to this?

Just curious,

HeadClot

@HeadClot: The demo unfortunately was artistically limited by my own 3D modelling skills. :slight_smile: However, you can thoroughly customize the look of buildings. If you are a programmer, you can take the customization even further by writing your own geometry generation algorithms if you so desire. (Fractal buildings FTW :wink: ) I have covered this in a fair amount of detail in Vlog #7: Extensibility FTW.

For anyone who might not have seen the demo, here it is:

How much will this cost?

Looks like a really good tool.

I, too, am eagerly awaiting this tool. I plan on having relatively large city maps and would love to use this tool to generate them. Also, the progress you’ve made just blows my mind. Good job.