UE4 Development Build. Suggestions Wanted!

Hello Everyone! First PC build here. Looking for any and all suggestions.

Also, looking for help on a case. Is there any reason to spend more on a case or motherboard? Are there any features to consider on these two parts? I do not intend to overclock nor SLI two graphic cards.

Thank you!

http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/X2PDvK

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor $415.98 @ Newegg Canada
CPU Cooler Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler $25.98 @ Newegg Canada
Thermal Compound Arctic Cooling MX4 4g Thermal Paste $12.45 @ Amazon Canada
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-H97M-D3H Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $104.50 @ Vuugo
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $229.99 @ Newegg Canada
Storage Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $127.98 @ DirectCanada
Video Card MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card $438.98 @ Newegg Canada
Power Supply EVGA 500W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply $39.99 @ NCIX
Optical Drive Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer $19.99 @ Memory Express
Operating System Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 OEM (64-bit) $169.96 @ DirectCanada
Keyboard Corsair K70 Wired Gaming Keyboard $147.98 @ Amazon Canada
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total (before mail-in rebates) $1763.78
Mail-in rebates -$30.00
Total $1733.78
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-07-29 11:03 EDT-0400

If I were you I’d toss the gaming keyboard, get a $50 wireless back-lit keyboard and then use the extra cash to get a better CPU. You’ll definitely want something better than a 500W PSU, I’d get a 1000W+. Other than those two things, that is a fantastic rig.

When you say a better CPU can you give an example i7-4790K is a powerful CPU.
And yes go 1000W+ psu you need it and toss the gaming keyboard.
And I would go for a 1866 memory try to get G.SKILL TridentX.

Update

Here is the updated build. I added a case and switched to 1866 memory. I wanted to try out a mechanical keyboard, so that’s why I have the K70. Is there some reason I should not make such a purchase?

Also, what is the reasoning behind a 1000+PSU? My build is estimated at 350W. I was under the assumption that a 430-500W PSU would suffice.

Thank you!

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($279.99 @ Micro Center)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($25.98 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Asus Z97-A ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($149.99 @ Mwave)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($189.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($99.78 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card ($338.49 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Corsair Graphite Series 230T Orange ATX Mid Tower Case ($76.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Enermax REVOLUTION X’t 430W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($63.98 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer ($18.39 @ OutletPC)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 OEM (64-bit) ($133.99 @ NCIX US)
Keyboard: Corsair K70 Wired Gaming Keyboard ($109.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1487.56
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-07-30 00:13 EDT-0400

That’s a really good price on the 4790k. Still not sure why Micro Center keeps getting good deals from Intel… hmm.

Still, Skylake will probably launch in a matter of weeks. It is probably best to wait until then, especially since the board should be compatible with Kaby Lake (mid/late-2016) and CannonLake (mid/late-2017) going forward (if history serves, which it may not). Rumor has its date at ~Aug 9th.

I have a similar build and i think you should get at least a 500-600W psu.

Sorry, what are the benefits of waiting for Skylake? Mostly because of the corresponding CPU price drop or…?

You do not need a 1000W PSU, I’d second the 500-600W even though you might get by with 430W.
Power supply is something you don’t want to skimp on.

Honestly it’s a pretty competent build, my main concern is actually if that 240GB SSD is all of your storage?
I’ve had to delete over 100GB just in UE4 temp files (another 100+GB of World Machine temp files at the same time) just to have any space on my 500GB drive.

If there was anything else I’d personally want to upgrade it’d be GPU, but ONLY if it was up to the 980 ti tier of cards and it really depends what you’re doing.

But Skylake is actually close enough that it might be better to wait.
Benefits of waiting is to get something faster for the same price, I wouldn’t expect the current stuff to come down much if at all anytime soon (it just doesn’t seem to work that way).

I have a similar build and I had a 600w and it was not enough.
340w is in ideal condition you want to get a PSU that is double that at least.
You need at least a 750w PSU for this build otherwise if you try to even overclock or if you want to upgrade the GPU or add another one you will need to buy a new one.
Even if you don’t want to overclock you better leave room for future changes.

And I agree get a secondary HDD storage.

And if you go for a 980ti definitely get at least a 750w PSU but a 970 is a powerful card (I have the same one).

You can wait for Skylake and get a DDR4 motherboard.

And get windows 10 I am using it since the start of the preview and its a very good OS better then 7.

If OP didn’t specify the no OC + no Sli I would have suggested higher, but I’ll agree that 2x+ what you expect it to use is a safe and easy way to go anyway =]

As for mechanical keyboard I LOVE my Cooler Master storm quickfire something or rather (it’s the short one, I don’t have much desk space) with the cherry mx red switches BUT, maybe it’s not that important but it just feels and sounds so satisfying… In my opinion. It did take a few days to get used to though as the keys offered much less resistance to what I was used to but it’s NOT a problem.

It’s also nice being able to take the keys off and clean the whole keyboard easily.

I don’t have any experience with that case (Corsair 230T), after a quick look the only thing that may be a concern is if you end up wanting some kind of water cooling, but really it seems like a fine enclosure and it doesn’t seem like water cooling is something you would want to do anyway.
Info Here

Didn’t see the OC + no Sli but still I think its better to have one that is future proof so if you change your mind or upgrade something you won’t need to buy a new one.

The case looks pretty standard and solid personally I would have gone for something more high-end like the Fractal Design Define R5 but that’s me :p.