UE4 crashing when trying to open SizeMap

I wanted to try out using the SizeMap today, never used it before, so I right click the Content folder, choose SizeMap, wait a few seconds, and the editor crashes:

Access violation - code c0000005 (first/second chance not available)

""

UE4Editor_Renderer!FDeferredShadingSceneRenderer::ShouldPrepareDistanceFields() [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.9\engine\source\runtime\renderer\private\distancefieldsurfacecachelighting.cpp:2620]
UE4Editor_Renderer!FDeferredShadingSceneRenderer::Render() [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.9\engine\source\runtime\renderer\private\deferredshadingrenderer.cpp:811]
UE4Editor_Renderer!RenderViewFamily_RenderThread() [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.9\engine\source\runtime\renderer\private\scenerendering.cpp:1572]
UE4Editor_Renderer!TGraphTask<`FRendererModule::BeginRenderingViewFamily'::`23'::EURCMacro_FDrawSceneCommand>::ExecuteTask() [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.9\engine\source\runtime\core\public\async\taskgraphinterfaces.h:779]
UE4Editor_Core!FTaskThread::ProcessTasks() [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.9\engine\source\runtime\core\private\async\taskgraph.cpp:539]
UE4Editor_Core!FTaskThread::ProcessTasksUntilQuit() [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.9\engine\source\runtime\core\private\async\taskgraph.cpp:340]
UE4Editor_RenderCore!RenderingThreadMain() [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.9\engine\source\runtime\rendercore\private\renderingthread.cpp:310]
UE4Editor_RenderCore!FRenderingThread::Run() [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.9\engine\source\runtime\rendercore\private\renderingthread.cpp:411]
UE4Editor_Core!FRunnableThreadWin::Run() [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.9\engine\source\runtime\core\private\windows\windowsrunnablethread.cpp:74]

Why does the SizeMap need DistanceFieldLighting?

Hi John -

Thank you for your report. I was able to track down the issue and made sure it was reported with the repro you mention and I was able to reproduce. It was reported as UE-21346.

Eric Ketchum

Hey Eric, thanks, how have you reproduced it? Is this occurring in all projects?

Hello -

Any project which is generating Mesh Distance Fields and has a significant (unable to be more exact there) amount of assets in the content folder and try to call Size Map on the entire Content Folder.

Eric Ketchum