UE4 Crashing after renaming folder when using Source Control,Crash when renaming folders and using Source Control

Not sure if I’m doing something wrong or it’s an actual bug.

Whenever me or my friend try to rename a folder while using Source Control UE crashes, we are able to change the folder name, but afterwards, Source Control will try to automatically update what must be pushed, etc, and while it’s doing it, it crashes.

I’m using Yosemite 10.10.3 and my friend is on Windows 8.,Not sure if it’s a bug or I’m just doing something wrong.

I’m currently using UE 4.8 with Source Control along with git. When me or my friend tried to change a folder name, UE would automatically try to update through Source Control and UE would crash.

We’re using different OS, he’s using Windows 8 and I’m using mac Yosemite 10.10.3

Edit: After trying to delete some specific files, the crash ocurred again. That doesn’t happen with all files though, I was already able to delete a few others with no crash.

Hey ,

When you’re renaming files, are you both in the project at the same time? Do you both have files checked out of the folder that’s trying to be renamed? Could you please provide us the crash log within a .txt file?

Looking forward to hearing back from you, thanks!

Yes, both of us were in the project at the time the bug happened.
No, we didn’t have anything new, we were just messing around a bit trying to figure out how unreal’s source control worked.
I believe I did send the .txt log when the bug ocurred… (Using the unreal editor crash report).

I can’t really find those now, where would it be located in the Mac OS(I googled a bit but it wasn’t at ~/Library// or ~/Library/Preferences/)?


So there weren’t any files checked out while the folders were being renamed, you were both simply connected through source control and not doing much else?

What type of source control are you synced up with? Are you able to reproduce this issue again with you both being connected through source control? If so, when that crash reporter appears, copy and paste the into a .txt file and upload those to your next reply.

Looking forward to hearing back from you, thanks! :slight_smile:

Hey !

That’s right, we weren’t doing anything, just renaming a folder while connected to Source Control.

We’re using git and our repository is on GitHub.

Sure, I’ll try to replicate it later and I’ll post the log here :wink:


Did both of your engines crash, or was it only one of them? If it was only one computer that crashed, was it the Windows or Mac that crashed due to the renaming of files?

Hey =)

Whenever any of us tried to rename the folder, ue would crash in the respective computer.

I think it wasn’t a problem with renaming files, just the folder(which tbh, was the main folder, the one that is created inside Content).


If you’re receive a crash that’s caused by the engine and not source control, Mac or Windows - - then you should be able to provide us with your Machine ID which will allow us to find the crash internally. However, if you’re not sure what type of crash that you actually received, you will need to provide the with the crash when you reproduce it, so that we can report this to our developers.

Looking forward to obtaining the appropriate information, thanks!

Hey there,

It seems I’m unable to reproduce the crash myself =(

Here’s the ID(not sure if that’s exactly what you meant, but it’s the mac’s serial number, that’s the closes of what I can think of an ID): C02ND1Y8G3QD


Since you were unable to reproduce this and we haven’t been able to reproduce this on our end either, I’m going to have to close this thread at this time. However, if you or your partner run into this issue again, please save the crash and upload them here so we can look into the issue further. Please include the version of the engine that you’re on as well.

Thanks. :slight_smile: