UE4 Crashes When Trying to Open a Project

Hi,
I did a fresh install of UE4 a couple days ago. When I try to do anything with projects (create a project or open an existing project) UE4 crashes and generates a crash report. I have no idea why this is happening? I am running 64 bit Windows 8.1. Attached is crash dump and here’s Crash Report summary:
link text
MachineId:1A0C2EF84A95ACA0388890849C721F2B
EpicAccountId:82080c70cd1f47559f582971918fb25d

Unknown exception - code 00000001 (first/second chance not available)

"Assertion failed: DXGIFactory1 == nullptr || DXGIFactory1.GetRefCount() == 1 [File:D:\BuildFarm\buildmachine_++depot+UE4-Releases+4.8\Engine\Source\Runtime\Windows\D3D11RHI\Private\D3D11Device.cpp] [Line: 208]
"

UE4Editor_Core!FDebug::AssertFailed() [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.8\engine\source\runtime\core\private\misc\outputdevice.cpp:355]
UE4Editor_D3D11RHI!FD3D11DynamicRHI::~FD3D11DynamicRHI() [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.8\engine\source\runtime\windows\d3d11rhi\private\d3d11device.cpp:208]
UE4Editor_D3D11RHI!FD3D11DynamicRHI::`vector deleting destructor’()
UE4Editor_RHI!RHIExit() [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.8\engine\source\runtime\rhi\private\dynamicrhi.cpp:75]
UE4Editor!FEngineLoop::Exit() [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.8\engine\source\runtime\launch\private\launchengineloop.cpp:2143]
UE4Editor!GuardedMain() [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.8\engine\source\runtime\launch\private\launch.cpp:153]
UE4Editor!GuardedMainWrapper() [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.8\engine\source\runtime\launch\private\windows\launchwindows.cpp:126]
UE4Editor!WinMain() [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.8\engine\source\runtime\launch\private\windows\launchwindows.cpp:200]
Thanks for any and all help.
-Derek

Hi Derek, I’m trying to track this crash down. This crash happens when Engine quits (so when you switch projects, Engine quits and then reopens). Can you try opening your project directly by adding uproject path to your engine exe, like UE4Editor.exe c:\myproject.uproject ? That will allow you to open it without risk of crash by switching. I’m actively trying to fix this, sorry for inconvenience. If you are compiling from source, you can remove this crash, let me know if you’re interested :slight_smile:

Hi soliduszero,

Thanks for your report! I’ve assigned a member of support team to look into crash for you, and they’ll post here if they have any other questions for you. Please attach your dxdiag. Thanks!

If you get this consistently, can you also please try adding -d3debug to your editor shortcut or command line? And send log/diagnostics? Thanks!

Hi,
When I open uproject file directly and not from within Editor it doesn’t crash. Now, I’ve been accessing my projects by doing this and all seems okay. Thanks for your help. I wonder what problem is though?
-Derek

Not sure yet, we suspect it’s one of VR plugins going rogue :slight_smile: but when I find true cause I’ll post it. This won’t crash on 4.9 btw.

Still on 4.20.1 I get error on my laptop. This is after i build my game and try to play it on my laptop. Gives me hung time error and d3d crap. then crashes after . I know some Fortnite players had or have this issue so please FIX !!! ASAP !!! NOT JUST OUR GAMES ITS ENGINE !!