UE4 crashes when opening directory with AnimBP

I closed down my project yesterday and everything worked properly, no crashes. Today the project would not open so I deleted Binaries, Intermediate, Saved, generated VS files and started the engine. The editor opened up but as soon as I open a folder with AnimBP/Animations or try to open the skeletons I was working with the editor crashes and I get this report:

Unhandled Exception: EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION reading address 0x00000350

I fixed a similar issue in the past by simply reimporting the mesh, the skeleton, the animations and creating a new AnimBP but I cannot keep doing that cause I have done a lot of work and cannot recreate it every time this happens.

Why does this happen? Is there a fix for it? How can I avoid it in the future?

This used to happen sometimes if there was a part of the Animation Blueprint that attempted to divide by 0. I think they fixed it to just give an error, but you could still check if that is it.

Try unhooking the Update Animation node in the graph (so, basically unhooking the entire graph logic) and compiling and see if it runs. If it does, then at least you know it is some problem with the logic in the graph.

Edit: Oh, someone necroed this, whoops. I’ll respond to them instead.

hey, did you ever figure this out? running into the same thing.

This used to happen sometimes if there was a part of the Animation Blueprint that attempted to divide by 0. I think they fixed it to just give an error, but you could still check if that is it.

Try unhooking the Update Animation node in the graph (so, basically unhooking the entire graph logic) and compiling and see if it runs. If it does, then at least you know it is some problem with the logic in the graph.

If anyone finds this question and want to know what to look for!
if your C++ Animation instance code have a null reference it can have this affect check the code and make sure you dont have a null reference and rebuild the file. should solve the issue