UE4 crashes on the shader compiling process

It happened a few times today on my two completely separate projects. Either of them worked just fine on 4.12-4.13.1 before. Not sure what could be causing this as I have not installed or updated anything recently. In attempt to reproduce the crash I did this: tried to migrate one of my projects from the 4.12.5 “backup” to 4.13.1, and it started crashing consistently on the shader compiling sequence (each time when it shows: 208 shaders left).

Here is the log:

MachineId:FF9A500549E071703E423A97F8B263E8
EpicAccountId:918d8f4d187849909118ffb7b6d6eb61

Assertion failed: Canary != FShader::ShaderMagic_CleaningUp [File:D:\Build\++UE4+Release-4.13+Compile\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\ShaderCore\Private\Shader.cpp] [Line: 440] 

UE4Editor_Core!FDebug::AssertFailed() [d:\build\++ue4+release-4.13+compile\sync\engine\source\runtime\core\private\misc\outputdevice.cpp:421]
UE4Editor_ShaderCore!FShaderResource::AddRef() [d:\build\++ue4+release-4.13+compile\sync\engine\source\runtime\shadercore\private\shader.cpp:441]
UE4Editor_ShaderCore!FShader::SetResource() [d:\build\++ue4+release-4.13+compile\sync\engine\source\runtime\shadercore\private\shader.cpp:1021]
UE4Editor_ShaderCore!FShader::FShader() [d:\build\++ue4+release-4.13+compile\sync\engine\source\runtime\shadercore\private\shader.cpp:834]
UE4Editor_Renderer!FMaterialShader::FMaterialShader() [d:\build\++ue4+release-4.13+compile\sync\engine\source\runtime\renderer\private\shaderbaseclasses.cpp:24]
UE4Editor_Renderer!FMeshMaterialShader::FMeshMaterialShader() [d:\build\++ue4+release-4.13+compile\sync\engine\source\runtime\renderer\public\meshmaterialshader.h:20]
UE4Editor_Renderer!FVelocityVS::FVelocityVS() [d:\build\++ue4+release-4.13+compile\sync\engine\source\runtime\renderer\private\velocityrendering.cpp:99]
UE4Editor_Renderer!FVelocityVS::ConstructCompiledInstance() [d:\build\++ue4+release-4.13+compile\sync\engine\source\runtime\renderer\private\velocityrendering.cpp:43]
UE4Editor_Engine!FMeshMaterialShaderType::FinishCompileShader() [d:\build\++ue4+release-4.13+compile\sync\engine\source\runtime\engine\private\materials\meshmaterialshader.cpp:142]
UE4Editor_Engine!FMaterialShaderMap::ProcessCompilationResultsForSingleJob() [d:\build\++ue4+release-4.13+compile\sync\engine\source\runtime\engine\private\materials\materialshader.cpp:1434]
UE4Editor_Engine!FMaterialShaderMap::ProcessCompilationResults() [d:\build\++ue4+release-4.13+compile\sync\engine\source\runtime\engine\private\materials\materialshader.cpp:1495]
UE4Editor_Engine!FShaderCompilingManager::ProcessCompiledShaderMaps() [d:\build\++ue4+release-4.13+compile\sync\engine\source\runtime\engine\private\shadercompiler\shadercompiler.cpp:1671]
UE4Editor_Engine!FShaderCompilingManager::ProcessAsyncResults() [d:\build\++ue4+release-4.13+compile\sync\engine\source\runtime\engine\private\shadercompiler\shadercompiler.cpp:2229]
UE4Editor!FEngineLoop::Tick() [d:\build\++ue4+release-4.13+compile\sync\engine\source\runtime\launch\private\launchengineloop.cpp:2843]
UE4Editor!GuardedMain() [d:\build\++ue4+release-4.13+compile\sync\engine\source\runtime\launch\private\launch.cpp:156]
UE4Editor!GuardedMainWrapper() [d:\build\++ue4+release-4.13+compile\sync\engine\source\runtime\launch\private\windows\launchwindows.cpp:126]
UE4Editor!WinMain() [d:\build\++ue4+release-4.13+compile\sync\engine\source\runtime\launch\private\windows\launchwindows.cpp:202]
UE4Editor!__scrt_common_main_seh() [f:\dd\vctools\crt\vcstartup\src\startup\exe_common.inl:264]
kernel32
ntdll

P.s.: BTW, i do not have any, or ever created any path like the “D:\Build…” mentioned in the log file, though my projects are stored at D:…other path.

Hey Ashh111,

So the crash you are experiencing in 4.13 is one of our top crashes for this release, and it is affecting a somewhat large number of users on Macs. The good news is a bug ticket has been created which you can track by following the link below.

UE-35288

The developer notes say that, “this crash may be caused by Nvidia drivers 372.20. We suggest updating your drivers to the latest version if you are experiencing this crash.”

Let me know if you have further questions or need additional assistance.

Thank you,

Thanks for the reply! I’m on PC though, and was running on latest Nvidia 373.06. I believe I should just wait for the further updates for now, and thanks again!