UE4 crash report

I can’t open my blueprint editor, a crash reporter pups up

Hey there @anon35956388! Welcome to the community! So your crash report is pretty vague because you don’t have editor symbols installed! Basically editor symbols let’s the crash handler recognize exactly where the crash is coming from. They aren’t installed by default because they are quite a couple of gbs. I’ll link a short tutorial on how to retrieve those below.

From what I can see already without the symbols is that it has to do with the aticfx64.dll driver. I see your RHI is targeted to DX11 which is what I’d normally recommend as a workaround in the meantime so that’s off the table. Could you take a quick update to your video drivers then install the editor symbols and we can get a clear crash report.

How to get editor debugging symbols:
2022-10-19_04-11-48

Disclaimer: One or more of these links are unaffiliated with Epic Games. Epic Games is not liable for anything that may occur outside of this Unreal Engine domain. Please exercise your best judgment when following links outside of the forums.

A good informative video on Unreal Engine crashing:

Let me know when you post the updated crash logs or if you have any questions!

1 Like

so I downloaded a now engine version and am still encountering the same problem

Hey there @anon35956388! We’ll definitely need a full crash log with editor symbols to try and sort out exactly what went on!

(8.3 KB)
This is the editor symbols

(182.5 KB)
the log

So from my research into the DLL that’s erroring out here is that it seems to be primarily an AMD based driver conflict that must be occurring. I’d like to test and see if it’s only DirectX. Could you attempt to swap your engine RHI over to Vulkan and let me know if it runs?

Tutorial here, just look for the config and then use the Vulkan RHI info provided in the tutorial:

Also may I know your specs to help track this issue?

Sir I can’t even enter project settings without my engine not crashing.
Here’s my system GPU space

So the tutorial actually also shows you where to go to edit the config file that can change your RHI from outside of the engine. All you have to do is go to the file location.

Edit  "...../path_to_your_UE5_project/config/DefaultEngine.ini" and change DefaultGraphicsRHI=DefaultGraphicsRHI_DX12 to your preferred RHI (e.g. DX11 or Vulkan) 

DefaultGraphicsRHI=DefaultGraphicsRHI_Vulkan

And ahhhh that seems to be our issue. Intel HD graphics family 3000 series only runs up to Direct X 10.1 from the cursory research I did. It doesn’t seem to support vulkan either from what I’d read. Has this version of the editor worked for you previously? 4.27 and up are only compatible with DX11, 12, and Vulkan.

Unreal engine 4.16 DX10 became deprecated, and fully removed by 4.23, so you may have to use an older version on integrated graphics. Either that or if it’s in the budget, a graphics card capable of running DX11 or DX12.

Sir I’ve been running UE 4.25 with DX12 recently on my system before the crash problem, that led me to the UE 4.27.
And I have this Radeon
image_2022-10-28_133923243 in my system,
but the system seem to be working only with the Intel graphics card

Ahhh that’s odd. The integrated graphics shouldn’t be running when your actual graphics card is attached. That’s likely the problem. I had an issue once with my Nvidia card not being selected over integrated graphics by windows once before so that could be it.

Disclaimer: One or more of these links are unaffiliated with Epic Games. Epic Games is not liable for anything that may occur outside of this Unreal Engine domain. Please exercise your best judgment when following links outside of the forums.

A thread from AMD’s community on how to change this for AMD devices:

Alternatively have you made any hardware changes? Since this is a laptop I’m doubting it.

No, I’ve never made any hardware changes

Well check out that article and see if you can designate Unreal to be always run under the graphics card. That should fix almost everything as that card can run DX11, 12, and Vulkan quite well.