UE4 crash on start-up with no error message

Hey all,

I purchased Unreal Engine about two weeks ago and installed the 4.2.1 Engine on my desktop. The engine works perfectly on that system but I decided to install it onto my laptop so I could run through tutorials and work alongside the documentation when I’m away from home.

So here’s the problem: I open the Launcher and click “Launch” by my installed engine; I select the “New Project” tab, choose a template (doesn’t matter which) and hit “Create Project”; A small orange loading bar flashes by, creating the project, and another Unreal icon lands in my taskbar; finally the usual rectangular start-up image appears with the name of my project and “Unreal Editor” in the middle and after several seconds the image disappears, the icon disappears and the editor window never opens.

The part that strikes me is that there is neither an error dialog from Unreal Engine nor from Windows.

The only reason I could think of is that I don’t meet the minimum system requirements - although I can’t find anything listed besides the recommended specs (which my laptop doesn’t even come close to):

i5-2467M,
6GB memory,
onboard intel graphics

If anyone could point me in the right direction I would GREATLY appreciate it, thanks!

EDIT: My log file has the line: “LogModuleManager:Warning: ModuleManager: Module ‘PakFile’ not found - it’s StaticallyLinkedModuleInitializers function is null.” maybe this is the problem?

Hi onemandev -

I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing this issue, and I will begin investigation into this as soon as possible. Thanks for your patience.

In the meantime, and for best results, please be sure to review our suggestions for how to report your issues, and feel free to edit your post if you have any additional information to provide:

Thank you.
Eric Ketchum

Hi onemandev -

The warning you have listed would not cause the editor window to never open. I hate to say that the laptop does not meet a specification because we have run the editor on some very “low-spec” systems. I would suggest watching your windows system monitor as you attempt to open the editor and see if it truly is an out of memory bug that causes the editor to close before it opens.

Let me know and I will continue to research this problem for you -

Eric Ketchum

Looks like it isn’t an out of memory error. (the spike is when I tried to launch the engine)

Thanks for the help so far!

Hey onemandev -

When you try to create a new project is the editor actually creating anything? Can you look in the [Documents]\Unreal Projects\ directory and see if any *.uproject files and content has been loaded into sub-directories with your project names? Also, if you find those *.uproject files, can you try to open the editor by double-clicking that file.

Thank You -

Eric Ketchum

Hey onemandev -

I haven’t heard from you in a few days and am marking this as answered for tracking purposes, but if this problem had persisted or returns please let me know and we will continue to look into this for you.

Thank You -

Eric Ketchum

Yes, sorry for not responding. I downloaded 4.3, and although the problem is not really solved, I receive an “out of video ram” error message now instead of nothing at all. Thank you very much for your persistent help!

Hey onemandev -

No Problem. Can you let me know whether the project is getting created or if the error message is coming before you get anything created in the Unreal Projects folder?

Thank You

Eric Ketchum

The project is getting created, yes.

Hey onemandev -

Let’s try these solutions to see if we can’t get you up and running again. Try 1 then 2 then 1 with 2 (in that order):

1 - Go into your [ProjectFolder]\Config\EditorUserSettings.ini and add the following lines and save the file.

[/Script/UnrealEd.EditorUserSettings]
                         bMonitorEditorPerformance=false

**Note the [/Script/UnrealEd.EditorUserSettings] line may already exist.

2 - Try adding the following into your [Install Location]\Unreal Engine\4.3\Engine\Config\BaseEditorGameAgnostic.ini:

[EngineBenchmarkResult]
                         Valid=true
                         ResolutionQuality=100
                         ViewDistanceQuality=1
                         AntiAliasingQuality=1
                         ShadowQuality=1
                         PostProcessQuality=1
                         TextureQuality=1
                         EffectsQuality=1

Let me know if this gets you up and running and if so which one works.

Thank You

Eric Ketchum

I have tried step 2 but still receive a “Ran out of video memory trying to allocate a rendering resource” error. I can’t figure out how to do step 1 since the only files in my project config folder are DefaultEngine.ini and DefaultGame.ini.
Thank you.

Hey onemandev -

If you are not seeing in the EditorUserSettings.ini file in your Project’s Config folder, create the file and add the one line inside of it.

Thank You

Eric Ketchum

No luck with either or both.

Hey onemandev -

For the Laptop can you run “msinfo32,” you should be able to type that into your Run command line when you hit the Windows button. Once its open, click Export and save the TXT and upload it here.

Thank You

Eric Ketchum

link text

Hey onemandev -

OK after much discussion, we have come to the conclusion that your laptop just may not be powerful enough to run the engine. Even if you did get it started it, the rate at which it would run would be unacceptable to you. The slowest CPU that our compatibility team has a 4 core i5.

Thank You for your patience and sorry I couldn’t give you a better answer -

Eric Ketchum