UE4, Big Sur, Xcode

Hi, I just want to share my findings about running UE4 on macOs. These are my spec: iMac 27” 2017, macOS Big Sur 11.2, Xcode v12.4 (everything installed on external Samsung T7 (~800MB/s R/W)).

UE 4.24.3

When I tried to create new empty C++ project, I got this error

https://forums.unrealengine.com/core/blob:https://forums.unrealengine.com/5f54c661-205f-4d4f-9a96-7553e5fd6e09

To solve this issue, there are 2 files that need to be changed: ApplicationCode.Build.cs and Core.Build.cs

In ApplicationCore.Build.cs, line 47

PublicAdditionalLibraries.Add("/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/MultitouchSupport.framework/Versions/Current/MultitouchSupport");

should be replaced with following 2 lines

string SDKROOT = Utils.RunLocalProcessAndReturnStdOut("/usr/bin/xcrun", "--sdk macosx --show-sdk-path");
PublicAdditionalLibraries.Add(SDKROOT + "/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/MultitouchSupport.framework/Versions/Current/MultitouchSupport.tbd");

Save it and confirm overwrite.
So, now I am able to create new project and everything is working very slow.

First issue, indexing. I tried to wait for indexing to finish, and it took more than 24 hours and index folder size was ~8GB.

For some reason in project navigator there is project file for engine source code. I deleted this one and restart Xcode.

3.jpg
Now, indexing finished in less than 5 minutes, and size of index folder is ~100MB.

Next, there are two things that make an autocomplete to work, one is search path for include files

And another is macro definitions:

Everything is working but it takes ~25 sec. to show autocomplete values
So, there is one header file specified as prefix header

If I delete this one, I got autocomplete values in 3 seconds.
This is more/less ok but if I recreate Xcode project it will overwrite all my changes. To solve this, I installed Visual Studio 2019 for Mac. In UE installation folder there is a visual studio project file for UnrealBuildTool

In this project there is a file XcodeProject.cs, and line 1296 is responsible for setting up the prefix header value.

So, I put this line under the comment.

To skip generating project file for engine source code on line 1757 I added following:

if (TargetName == "UE4") return true; 

Save the file, confirm writeable and build UnrealBuildTool

10.jpg
Now, I deleted Binaries, Intermediate folders and xcode workspace file.

Compile and generate Xcode using unreal editor.
And I have working Xcode project, without long indexing and autocomplete in 3 seconds.

UE 4.26.1

In case of 4.26.1 I am getting following errors:

Search paths for headers are set, but macro definitions are missing:

All definitions can be found in a header file (Definitions…) in project folder.
So, instead of using UnrealEd.h file as prefix header I tried with this definition file.
Again, open UnrealBuildTool with visual studio and replace line 1315 with

if (ProjectFile != null)
{
string tmp = ProjectFile.Directory + "/Intermediate/Build/Mac/x86_64/UE4Editor/Development/" + MacExecutableFileName;
Content.Append("				GCC_PREFIX_HEADER = \"" + tmp + "/Definitions." + MacExecutableFileName + ".h\";" + ProjectFileGenerator.NewLine);
}

So, it looks like this:

Also, I added this at line 1845

if (TargetName == "UE4") return true;

And save the file, confirm writeable and build UnrealBuildTool.
Deleted Binaries, Intermediate folders and xcode workspace file.
Compile and generate Xcode using unreal editor.

1 Like

This is extremely helpful. I sure appreciate you taking the time to put this out here. I spent all day yesterday trying to figure out why autocomplete would no longer work after 4.26.1 update, and those bogus class errors have been with me since about 4.19. I ignore them but it would be nice to have a clean compile be clean. I’ll go through this a step at a time and see if I can reproduce your successes.

One question, do you find you can generate new C++ classes from the editor? This broke on me a few revs ago and fortunately I’ve been able to work around needing new classes.

Thanks!

I am pretty much beginner with all this, so all classes are generated from editor. I didn’t try complex stuff, but generating actor, pawn and character works fine.

Okay, another question. In your Epic configuration, your path is “/Users/Shared/Epic” where as mine is “/Users/Shared/Epic Games”. I have both a Mac Mini and a Mac Pro. The mini has been installed and upgraded since about 4.5, while I completely slicked the SSD on the Pro just a couple of weeks ago and installed Unreal and Epic from scratch. Both have “/Users/Shared/Epic Games”. Did you intentionally reconfigure your Epic installation to use the non-space version of the directory? In studying why autocomplete would not work with any useful completions, one thing people mentioned was having spaces in the search directory names. Your installation paths are cleaner, but how did you get them that way?

Yes, I read it somewhere that having space in install directory name might cause an issue.
I just clicked on browse before installation and chose diff folder

Well, I think I better reinstall over again. I rebuilt the Pro to try and escape all the Unreal<->XCode issues that have plagued me for several years. That may have been the most important one. Unfortunately, after the fact trying to move or sym link everything would probably not be successful. Again, really appreciate your efforts to document this process.

Thanks,

Also, if you are using 4.26.0, in Xcode project search paths for headers are missing.

You can change XcodeProject.cs file. Find lines with this code

foreach (string SearchPath in IntelliSenseIncludeSearchPaths)
{
string Path = SearchPath.Contains(" ") ? "\\\"" + SearchPath + "\\\"" : SearchPath;
Content.Append("					\"" + Path + "\"," + ProjectFileGenerator.NewLine);
}

and replace with

Content.Append("					\"/Users/Shared/Epic/UE_4.26/Engine/Source\"," + ProjectFileGenerator.NewLine);
Content.Append("					\"/Users/Shared/Epic/UE_4.26/Engine/Intermediate/Build/Mac/UE4Editor/Inc/Engine\"," + ProjectFileGenerator.NewLine);
Content.Append("					\"/Users/Shared/Epic/UE_4.26/Engine/Source/Runtime\"," + ProjectFileGenerator.NewLine);
Content.Append("					\"/Users/Shared/Epic/UE_4.26/Engine/Source/Runtime/Engine/Classes\"," + ProjectFileGenerator.NewLine);
Content.Append("					\"/Users/Shared/Epic/UE_4.26/Engine/Source/Runtime/Engine/Public\"," + ProjectFileGenerator.NewLine);
Content.Append("					\"/Users/Shared/Epic/UE_4.26/Engine/Intermediate/Build/Mac/UE4Editor/Development/Core\"," + ProjectFileGenerator.NewLine);
Content.Append("					\"/Users/Shared/Epic/UE_4.26/Engine/Source/Runtime/TraceLog/Public\"," + ProjectFileGenerator.NewLine);
Content.Append("					\"/Users/Shared/Epic/UE_4.26/Engine/Source/Runtime/Core/Public\"," + ProjectFileGenerator.NewLine);
Content.Append("					\"/Users/Shared/Epic/UE_4.26/Engine/Intermediate/Build/Mac/UE4Editor/Development/TraceLog\"," + ProjectFileGenerator.NewLine);
Content.Append("					\"/Users/Shared/Epic/UE_4.26/Engine/Intermediate/Build/Mac/UE4Editor/Inc/CoreUObject\"," + ProjectFileGenerator.NewLine);
Content.Append("					\"/Users/Shared/Epic/UE_4.26/Engine/Source/Runtime/CoreUObject/Public\"," + ProjectFileGenerator.NewLine);
Content.Append("					\"/Users/Shared/Epic/UE_4.26/Engine/Intermediate/Build/Mac/UE4Editor/Inc/NetCore\"," + ProjectFileGenerator.NewLine);
Content.Append("					\"/Users/Shared/Epic/UE_4.26/Engine/Source/Runtime/Net\"," + ProjectFileGenerator.NewLine);
Content.Append("					\"/Users/Shared/Epic/UE_4.26/Engine/Source/Runtime/Net/Core/Classes\"," + ProjectFileGenerator.NewLine);
Content.Append("					\"/Users/Shared/Epic/UE_4.26/Engine/Source/Runtime/Net/Core/Public\"," + ProjectFileGenerator.NewLine);
Content.Append("					\"/Users/Shared/Epic/UE_4.26/Engine/Intermediate/Build/Mac/UE4Editor/Development/ApplicationCore\"," + ProjectFileGenerator.NewLine);
Content.Append("					\"/Users/Shared/Epic/UE_4.26/Engine/Source/Runtime/ApplicationCore/Public\"," + ProjectFileGenerator.NewLine);
Content.Append("					\"/Users/Shared/Epic/UE_4.26/Engine/Intermediate/Build/Mac/UE4Editor/Development/RHI\"," + ProjectFileGenerator.NewLine);
Content.Append("					\"/Users/Shared/Epic/UE_4.26/Engine/Source/Runtime/RHI/Public\"," + ProjectFileGenerator.NewLine);
Content.Append("					\"/Users/Shared/Epic/UE_4.26/Engine/Intermediate/Build/Mac/UE4Editor/Development/Json\"," + ProjectFileGenerator.NewLine);
Content.Append("					\"/Users/Shared/Epic/UE_4.26/Engine/Source/Runtime/Json/Public\"," + ProjectFileGenerator.NewLine);
Content.Append("					\"/Users/Shared/Epic/UE_4.26/Engine/Intermediate/Build/Mac/UE4Editor/Inc/SlateCore\"," + ProjectFileGenerator.NewLine);
Content.Append("					\"/Users/Shared/Epic/UE_4.26/Engine/Source/Runtime/SlateCore/Public\"," + ProjectFileGenerator.NewLine);
Content.Append("					\"/Users/Shared/Epic/UE_4.26/Engine/Intermediate/Build/Mac/UE4Editor/Inc/InputCore\"," + ProjectFileGenerator.NewLine);
Content.Append("					\"/Users/Shared/Epic/UE_4.26/Engine/Source/Runtime/InputCore/Classes\"," + ProjectFileGenerator.NewLine);
Content.Append("					\"/Users/Shared/Epic/UE_4.26/Engine/Source/Runtime/InputCore/Public\"," + ProjectFileGenerator.NewLine);
Content.Append("					\"/Users/Shared/Epic/UE_4.26/Engine/Intermediate/Build/Mac/UE4Editor/Inc/Slate\"," + ProjectFileGenerator.NewLine);
Content.Append("					\"/Users/Shared/Epic/UE_4.26/Engine/Source/Runtime/Slate/Public\"," + ProjectFileGenerator.NewLine);
Content.Append("					\"/Users/Shared/Epic/UE_4.26/Engine/Intermediate/Build/Mac/UE4Editor/Inc/ImageWrapper\"," + ProjectFileGenerator.NewLine);
Content.Append("					\"/Users/Shared/Epic/UE_4.26/Engine/Source/Runtime/ImageWrapper/Public\"," + ProjectFileGenerator.NewLine);
Content.Append("					\"/Users/Shared/Epic/UE_4.26/Engine/Intermediate/Build/Mac/UE4Editor/Development/Messaging\"," + ProjectFileGenerator.NewLine);
Content.Append("					\"/Users/Shared/Epic/UE_4.26/Engine/Source/Runtime/Messaging/Public\"," + ProjectFileGenerator.NewLine);
Content.Append("					\"/Users/Shared/Epic/UE_4.26/Engine/Intermediate/Build/Mac/UE4Editor/Development/MessagingCommon\"," + ProjectFileGenerator.NewLine);
Content.Append("					\"/Users/Shared/Epic/UE_4.26/Engine/Source/Runtime/MessagingCommon/Public\"," + ProjectFileGenerator.NewLine);
Content.Append("					\"/Users/Shared/Epic/UE_4.26/Engine/Intermediate/Build/Mac/UE4Editor/Development/RenderCore\"," + ProjectFileGenerator.NewLine);
Content.Append("					\"/Users/Shared/Epic/UE_4.26/Engine/Source/Runtime/RenderCore/Public\"," + ProjectFileGenerator.NewLine);
Content.Append("					\"/Users/Shared/Epic/UE_4.26/Engine/Intermediate/Build/Mac/UE4Editor/Development/AnalyticsET\"," + ProjectFileGenerator.NewLine);
Content.Append("					\"/Users/Shared/Epic/UE_4.26/Engine/Source/Runtime/Analytics\"," + ProjectFileGenerator.NewLine);
Content.Append("					\"/Users/Shared/Epic/UE_4.26/Engine/Source/Runtime/Analytics/AnalyticsET/Public\"," + ProjectFileGenerator.NewLine);
Content.Append("					\"/Users/Shared/Epic/UE_4.26/Engine/Intermediate/Build/Mac/UE4Editor/Development/Analytics\"," + ProjectFileGenerator.NewLine);
Content.Append("					\"/Users/Shared/Epic/UE_4.26/Engine/Source/Runtime/Analytics/Analytics/Public\"," + ProjectFileGenerator.NewLine);
Content.Append("					\"/Users/Shared/Epic/UE_4.26/Engine/Intermediate/Build/Mac/UE4Editor/Development/Sockets\"," + ProjectFileGenerator.NewLine);
Content.Append("					\"/Users/Shared/Epic/UE_4.26/Engine/Source/Runtime/Sockets/Public\"," + ProjectFileGenerator.NewLine);
Content.Append("					\"/Users/Shared/Epic/UE_4.26/Engine/Intermediate/Build/Mac/UE4Editor/Development/NetCommon\"," + ProjectFileGenerator.NewLine);
Content.Append("					\"/Users/Shared/Epic/UE_4.26/Engine/Source/Runtime/Net/Common/Public\"," + ProjectFileGenerator.NewLine);
Content.Append("					\"/Users/Shared/Epic/UE_4.26/Engine/Intermediate/Build/Mac/UE4Editor/Inc/AssetRegistry\"," + ProjectFileGenerator.NewLine);
Content.Append("					\"/Users/Shared/Epic/UE_4.26/Engine/Source/Runtime/AssetRegistry/Public\"," + ProjectFileGenerator.NewLine);
Content.Append("					\"/Users/Shared/Epic/UE_4.26/Engine/Intermediate/Build/Mac/UE4Editor/Inc/EngineMessages\"," + ProjectFileGenerator.NewLine);
Content.Append("					\"/Users/Shared/Epic/UE_4.26/Engine/Source/Runtime/EngineMessages/Public\"," + ProjectFileGenerator.NewLine);
Content.Append("					\"/Users/Shared/Epic/UE_4.26/Engine/Intermediate/Build/Mac/UE4Editor/Inc/EngineSettings\"," + ProjectFileGenerator.NewLine);
Content.Append("					\"/Users/Shared/Epic/UE_4.26/Engine/Source/Runtime/EngineSettings/Classes\"," + ProjectFileGenerator.NewLine);
Content.Append("					\"/Users/Shared/Epic/UE_4.26/Engine/Source/Runtime/EngineSettings/Public\"," + ProjectFileGenerator.NewLine);
Content.Append("					\"/Users/Shared/Epic/UE_4.26/Engine/Intermediate/Build/Mac/UE4Editor/Development/SynthBenchmark\"," + ProjectFileGenerator.NewLine);
Content.Append("					\"/Users/Shared/Epic/UE_4.26/Engine/Source/Runtime/SynthBenchmark/Public\"," + ProjectFileGenerator.NewLine);
Content.Append("					\"/Users/Shared/Epic/UE_4.26/Engine/Intermediate/Build/Mac/UE4Editor/Inc/Renderer\"," + ProjectFileGenerator.NewLine);
Content.Append("					\"/Users/Shared/Epic/UE_4.26/Engine/Source/Runtime/Renderer/Public\"," + ProjectFileGenerator.NewLine);
Content.Append("					\"/Users/Shared/Epic/UE_4.26/Engine/Intermediate/Build/Mac/UE4Editor/Inc/GameplayTags\"," + ProjectFileGenerator.NewLine);
Content.Append("					\"/Users/Shared/Epic/UE_4.26/Engine/Source/Runtime/GameplayTags/Classes\"," + ProjectFileGenerator.NewLine);
Content.Append("					\"/Users/Shared/Epic/UE_4.26/Engine/Source/Runtime/GameplayTags/Public\"," + ProjectFileGenerator.NewLine);
Content.Append("					\"/Users/Shared/Epic/UE_4.26/Engine/Intermediate/Build/Mac/UE4Editor/Inc/PacketHandler\"," + ProjectFileGenerator.NewLine);
Content.Append("					\"/Users/Shared/Epic/UE_4.26/Engine/Source/Runtime/PacketHandlers\"," + ProjectFileGenerator.NewLine);
Content.Append("					\"/Users/Shared/Epic/UE_4.26/Engine/Source/Runtime/PacketHandlers/PacketHandler/Classes\"," + ProjectFileGenerator.NewLine);
Content.Append("					\"/Users/Shared/Epic/UE_4.26/Engine/Source/Runtime/PacketHandlers/PacketHandler/Public\"," + ProjectFileGenerator.NewLine);
Content.Append("					\"/Users/Shared/Epic/UE_4.26/Engine/Source/Runtime/PacketHandlers/ReliabilityHandlerComponent\"," + ProjectFileGenerator.NewLine);
Content.Append("					\"/Users/Shared/Epic/UE_4.26/Engine/Source/Runtime/PacketHandlers/ReliabilityHandlerComponent/Public\"," + ProjectFileGenerator.NewLine);
Content.Append("					\"/Users/Shared/Epic/UE_4.26/Engine/Intermediate/Build/Mac/UE4Editor/Inc/AudioPlatformConfiguration\"," + ProjectFileGenerator.NewLine);
Content.Append("					\"/Users/Shared/Epic/UE_4.26/Engine/Source/Runtime/AudioPlatformConfiguration/Public\"," + ProjectFileGenerator.NewLine);
Content.Append("					\"/Users/Shared/Epic/UE_4.26/Engine/Intermediate/Build/Mac/UE4Editor/Inc/MeshDescription\"," + ProjectFileGenerator.NewLine);
Content.Append("					\"/Users/Shared/Epic/UE_4.26/Engine/Source/Runtime/MeshDescription/Public\"," + ProjectFileGenerator.NewLine);
Content.Append("					\"/Users/Shared/Epic/UE_4.26/Engine/Intermediate/Build/Mac/UE4Editor/Inc/StaticMeshDescription\"," + ProjectFileGenerator.NewLine);
Content.Append("					\"/Users/Shared/Epic/UE_4.26/Engine/Source/Runtime/StaticMeshDescription/Public\"," + ProjectFileGenerator.NewLine);
Content.Append("					\"/Users/Shared/Epic/UE_4.26/Engine/Intermediate/Build/Mac/UE4Editor/Development/PakFile\"," + ProjectFileGenerator.NewLine);
Content.Append("					\"/Users/Shared/Epic/UE_4.26/Engine/Source/Runtime/PakFile/Public\"," + ProjectFileGenerator.NewLine);
Content.Append("					\"/Users/Shared/Epic/UE_4.26/Engine/Intermediate/Build/Mac/UE4Editor/Development/RSA\"," + ProjectFileGenerator.NewLine);
Content.Append("					\"/Users/Shared/Epic/UE_4.26/Engine/Source/Runtime/RSA/Public\"," + ProjectFileGenerator.NewLine);
Content.Append("					\"/Users/Shared/Epic/UE_4.26/Engine/Intermediate/Build/Mac/UE4Editor/Development/NetworkReplayStreaming\"," + ProjectFileGenerator.NewLine);
Content.Append("					\"/Users/Shared/Epic/UE_4.26/Engine/Source/Runtime/NetworkReplayStreaming\"," + ProjectFileGenerator.NewLine);
Content.Append("					\"/Users/Shared/Epic/UE_4.26/Engine/Source/Runtime/NetworkReplayStreaming/NetworkReplayStreaming/Public\"," + ProjectFileGenerator.NewLine);
Content.Append("					\"/Users/Shared/Epic/UE_4.26/Engine/Intermediate/Build/Mac/UE4Editor/Inc/PhysicsCore\"," + ProjectFileGenerator.NewLine);
Content.Append("					\"/Users/Shared/Epic/UE_4.26/Engine/Source/Runtime/PhysicsCore/Public\"," + ProjectFileGenerator.NewLine);
Content.Append("					\"/Users/Shared/Epic/UE_4.26/Engine/Intermediate/Build/Mac/UE4Editor/Inc/DeveloperSettings\"," + ProjectFileGenerator.NewLine);
Content.Append("					\"/Users/Shared/Epic/UE_4.26/Engine/Source/Runtime/DeveloperSettings/Public\"," + ProjectFileGenerator.NewLine);
Content.Append("					\"/Users/Shared/Epic/UE_4.26/Engine/Intermediate/Build/Mac/UE4Editor/Inc/Chaos\"," + ProjectFileGenerator.NewLine);
Content.Append("					\"/Users/Shared/Epic/UE_4.26/Engine/Source/Runtime/Experimental\"," + ProjectFileGenerator.NewLine);
Content.Append("					\"/Users/Shared/Epic/UE_4.26/Engine/Source/Runtime/Experimental/Chaos/Public\"," + ProjectFileGenerator.NewLine);
Content.Append("					\"/Users/Shared/Epic/UE_4.26/Engine/Intermediate/Build/Mac/UE4Editor/Development/ChaosCore\"," + ProjectFileGenerator.NewLine);
Content.Append("					\"/Users/Shared/Epic/UE_4.26/Engine/Source/Runtime/Experimental/ChaosCore/Public\"," + ProjectFileGenerator.NewLine);
Content.Append("					\"/Users/Shared/Epic/UE_4.26/Engine/Source/ThirdParty/Intel\"," + ProjectFileGenerator.NewLine);
Content.Append("					\"/Users/Shared/Epic/UE_4.26/Engine/Intermediate/Build/Mac/UE4Editor/Development/Voronoi\"," + ProjectFileGenerator.NewLine);
Content.Append("					\"/Users/Shared/Epic/UE_4.26/Engine/Source/Runtime/Experimental/Voronoi/Public\"," + ProjectFileGenerator.NewLine);
Content.Append("					\"/Users/Shared/Epic/UE_4.26/Engine/Source/ThirdParty\"," + ProjectFileGenerator.NewLine);
Content.Append("					\"/Users/Shared/Epic/UE_4.26/Engine/Intermediate/Build/Mac/UE4Editor/Development/SignalProcessing\"," + ProjectFileGenerator.NewLine);
Content.Append("					\"/Users/Shared/Epic/UE_4.26/Engine/Source/Runtime/SignalProcessing/Public\"," + ProjectFileGenerator.NewLine);
Content.Append("					\"/Users/Shared/Epic/UE_4.26/Engine/Intermediate/Build/Mac/UE4Editor/Inc/AudioExtensions\"," + ProjectFileGenerator.NewLine);
Content.Append("					\"/Users/Shared/Epic/UE_4.26/Engine/Source/Runtime/AudioExtensions/Public\"," + ProjectFileGenerator.NewLine);
Content.Append("					\"/Users/Shared/Epic/UE_4.26/Engine/Intermediate/Build/Mac/UE4Editor/Development/AudioMixerCore\"," + ProjectFileGenerator.NewLine);
Content.Append("					\"/Users/Shared/Epic/UE_4.26/Engine/Source/Runtime/AudioMixerCore/Public\"," + ProjectFileGenerator.NewLine);
Content.Append("					\"/Users/Shared/Epic/UE_4.26/Engine/Intermediate/Build/Mac/UE4Editor/Inc/PropertyAccess\"," + ProjectFileGenerator.NewLine);
Content.Append("					\"/Users/Shared/Epic/UE_4.26/Engine/Source/Runtime/PropertyAccess/Public\"," + ProjectFileGenerator.NewLine);
Content.Append("					\"/Users/Shared/Epic/UE_4.26/Engine/Intermediate/Build/Mac/UE4Editor/Inc/UnrealEd\"," + ProjectFileGenerator.NewLine);
Content.Append("					\"/Users/Shared/Epic/UE_4.26/Engine/Source/Editor\"," + ProjectFileGenerator.NewLine);
Content.Append("					\"/Users/Shared/Epic/UE_4.26/Engine/Source/Programs/UnrealLightmass/Public\"," + ProjectFileGenerator.NewLine);
Content.Append("					\"/Users/Shared/Epic/UE_4.26/Engine/Source/Developer/Android/AndroidDeviceDetection/Public/Interfaces\"," + ProjectFileGenerator.NewLine);
Content.Append("					\"/Users/Shared/Epic/UE_4.26/Engine/Source/Editor/UnrealEd/Classes\"," + ProjectFileGenerator.NewLine);
Content.Append("					\"/Users/Shared/Epic/UE_4.26/Engine/Source/Editor/UnrealEd/Public\"," + ProjectFileGenerator.NewLine);
Content.Append("					\"/Users/Shared/Epic/UE_4.26/Engine/Intermediate/Build/Mac/UE4Editor/Development/DirectoryWatcher\"," + ProjectFileGenerator.NewLine);
Content.Append("					\"/Users/Shared/Epic/UE_4.26/Engine/Source/Developer\"," + ProjectFileGenerator.NewLine);
Content.Append("					\"/Users/Shared/Epic/UE_4.26/Engine/Source/Developer/DirectoryWatcher/Public\"," + ProjectFileGenerator.NewLine);
Content.Append("					\"/Users/Shared/Epic/UE_4.26/Engine/Intermediate/Build/Mac/UE4Editor/Development/Documentation\"," + ProjectFileGenerator.NewLine);
Content.Append("					\"/Users/Shared/Epic/UE_4.26/Engine/Source/Editor/Documentation/Public\"," + ProjectFileGenerator.NewLine);
Content.Append("					\"/Users/Shared/Epic/UE_4.26/Engine/Intermediate/Build/Mac/UE4Editor/Development/Projects\"," + ProjectFileGenerator.NewLine);
Content.Append("					\"/Users/Shared/Epic/UE_4.26/Engine/Source/Runtime/Projects/Public\"," + ProjectFileGenerator.NewLine);
Content.Append("					\"/Users/Shared/Epic/UE_4.26/Engine/Intermediate/Build/Mac/UE4Editor/Development/SandboxFile\"," + ProjectFileGenerator.NewLine);
Content.Append("					\"/Users/Shared/Epic/UE_4.26/Engine/Source/Runtime/SandboxFile/Public\"," + ProjectFileGenerator.NewLine);
Content.Append("					\"/Users/Shared/Epic/UE_4.26/Engine/Intermediate/Build/Mac/UE4Editor/Inc/EditorStyle\"," + ProjectFileGenerator.NewLine);
Content.Append("					\"/Users/Shared/Epic/UE_4.26/Engine/Source/Editor/EditorStyle/Public\"," + ProjectFileGenerator.NewLine);
Content.Append("					\"/Users/Shared/Epic/UE_4.26/Engine/Intermediate/Build/Mac/UE4Editor/Inc/SourceControl\"," + ProjectFileGenerator.NewLine);
Content.Append("					\"/Users/Shared/Epic/UE_4.26/Engine/Source/Developer/SourceControl/Public\"," + ProjectFileGenerator.NewLine);
Content.Append("					\"/Users/Shared/Epic/UE_4.26/Engine/Intermediate/Build/Mac/UE4Editor/Inc/UnrealEdMessages\"," + ProjectFileGenerator.NewLine);
Content.Append("					\"/Users/Shared/Epic/UE_4.26/Engine/Source/Editor/UnrealEdMessages/Classes\"," + ProjectFileGenerator.NewLine);
Content.Append("					\"/Users/Shared/Epic/UE_4.26/Engine/Source/Editor/UnrealEdMessages/Public\"," + ProjectFileGenerator.NewLine);
Content.Append("					\"/Users/Shared/Epic/UE_4.26/Engine/Intermediate/Build/Mac/UE4Editor/Inc/GameplayDebugger\"," + ProjectFileGenerator.NewLine);
Content.Append("					\"/Users/Shared/Epic/UE_4.26/Engine/Source/Developer/GameplayDebugger/Public\"," + ProjectFileGenerator.NewLine);
Content.Append("					\"/Users/Shared/Epic/UE_4.26/Engine/Intermediate/Build/Mac/UE4Editor/Inc/BlueprintGraph\"," + ProjectFileGenerator.NewLine);
Content.Append("					\"/Users/Shared/Epic/UE_4.26/Engine/Source/Editor/BlueprintGraph/Classes\"," + ProjectFileGenerator.NewLine);
Content.Append("					\"/Users/Shared/Epic/UE_4.26/Engine/Source/Editor/BlueprintGraph/Public\"," + ProjectFileGenerator.NewLine);
Content.Append("					\"/Users/Shared/Epic/UE_4.26/Engine/Intermediate/Build/Mac/UE4Editor/Inc/EditorSubsystem\"," + ProjectFileGenerator.NewLine);
Content.Append("					\"/Users/Shared/Epic/UE_4.26/Engine/Source/Editor/EditorSubsystem/Public\"," + ProjectFileGenerator.NewLine);
Content.Append("					\"/Users/Shared/Epic/UE_4.26/Engine/Intermediate/Build/Mac/UE4Editor/Development/HTTP\"," + ProjectFileGenerator.NewLine);
Content.Append("					\"/Users/Shared/Epic/UE_4.26/Engine/Source/Runtime/Online\"," + ProjectFileGenerator.NewLine);
Content.Append("					\"/Users/Shared/Epic/UE_4.26/Engine/Source/Runtime/Online/HTTP/Public\"," + ProjectFileGenerator.NewLine);
Content.Append("					\"/Users/Shared/Epic/UE_4.26/Engine/Intermediate/Build/Mac/UE4Editor/Development/UnrealAudio\"," + ProjectFileGenerator.NewLine);
Content.Append("					\"/Users/Shared/Epic/UE_4.26/Engine/Source/Runtime/UnrealAudio/Public\"," + ProjectFileGenerator.NewLine);
Content.Append("					\"/Users/Shared/Epic/UE_4.26/Engine/Intermediate/Build/Mac/UE4Editor/Inc/FunctionalTesting\"," + ProjectFileGenerator.NewLine);
Content.Append("					\"/Users/Shared/Epic/UE_4.26/Engine/Source/Developer/FunctionalTesting/Classes\"," + ProjectFileGenerator.NewLine);
Content.Append("					\"/Users/Shared/Epic/UE_4.26/Engine/Source/Developer/FunctionalTesting/Public\"," + ProjectFileGenerator.NewLine);
Content.Append("					\"/Users/Shared/Epic/UE_4.26/Engine/Intermediate/Build/Mac/UE4Editor/Inc/AutomationController\"," + ProjectFileGenerator.NewLine);
Content.Append("					\"/Users/Shared/Epic/UE_4.26/Engine/Source/Developer/AutomationController/Public\"," + ProjectFileGenerator.NewLine);
Content.Append("					\"/Users/Shared/Epic/UE_4.26/Engine/Intermediate/Build/Mac/UE4Editor/Inc/Localization\"," + ProjectFileGenerator.NewLine);
Content.Append("					\"/Users/Shared/Epic/UE_4.26/Engine/Source/Developer/Localization/Public\"," + ProjectFileGenerator.NewLine);
Content.Append("					\"/Users/Shared/Epic/UE_4.26/Engine/Intermediate/Build/Mac/UE4Editor/Inc/AudioEditor\"," + ProjectFileGenerator.NewLine);
Content.Append("					\"/Users/Shared/Epic/UE_4.26/Engine/Source/Editor/AudioEditor/Classes\"," + ProjectFileGenerator.NewLine);
Content.Append("					\"/Users/Shared/Epic/UE_4.26/Engine/Source/Editor/AudioEditor/Public\"," + ProjectFileGenerator.NewLine);
Content.Append("					\"/Users/Shared/Epic/UE_4.26/Engine/Intermediate/Build/Mac/UE4Editor/Inc/AudioMixer\"," + ProjectFileGenerator.NewLine);
Content.Append("					\"/Users/Shared/Epic/UE_4.26/Engine/Source/Runtime/AudioMixer/Classes\"," + ProjectFileGenerator.NewLine);
Content.Append("					\"/Users/Shared/Epic/UE_4.26/Engine/Source/Runtime/AudioMixer/Public\"," + ProjectFileGenerator.NewLine);
Content.Append("					\"/Users/Shared/Epic/UE_4.26/Engine/Intermediate/Build/Mac/UE4Editor/Development/TargetPlatform\"," + ProjectFileGenerator.NewLine);
Content.Append("					\"/Users/Shared/Epic/UE_4.26/Engine/Source/Developer/TargetPlatform/Public\"," + ProjectFileGenerator.NewLine);
Content.Append("					\"/Users/Shared/Epic/UE_4.26/Engine/Intermediate/Build/Mac/UE4Editor/Inc/LevelEditor\"," + ProjectFileGenerator.NewLine);
Content.Append("					\"/Users/Shared/Epic/UE_4.26/Engine/Source/Editor/LevelEditor/Public\"," + ProjectFileGenerator.NewLine);
Content.Append("					\"/Users/Shared/Epic/UE_4.26/Engine/Intermediate/Build/Mac/UE4Editor/Development/Settings\"," + ProjectFileGenerator.NewLine);
Content.Append("					\"/Users/Shared/Epic/UE_4.26/Engine/Source/Developer/Settings/Public\"," + ProjectFileGenerator.NewLine);
Content.Append("					\"/Users/Shared/Epic/UE_4.26/Engine/Intermediate/Build/Mac/UE4Editor/Inc/IntroTutorials\"," + ProjectFileGenerator.NewLine);
Content.Append("					\"/Users/Shared/Epic/UE_4.26/Engine/Source/Editor/IntroTutorials/Public\"," + ProjectFileGenerator.NewLine);
Content.Append("					\"/Users/Shared/Epic/UE_4.26/Engine/Intermediate/Build/Mac/UE4Editor/Inc/HeadMountedDisplay\"," + ProjectFileGenerator.NewLine);
Content.Append("					\"/Users/Shared/Epic/UE_4.26/Engine/Source/Runtime/HeadMountedDisplay/Public\"," + ProjectFileGenerator.NewLine);
Content.Append("					\"/Users/Shared/Epic/UE_4.26/Engine/Intermediate/Build/Mac/UE4Editor/Inc/VREditor\"," + ProjectFileGenerator.NewLine);
Content.Append("					\"/Users/Shared/Epic/UE_4.26/Engine/Source/Editor/VREditor\"," + ProjectFileGenerator.NewLine);
Content.Append("					\"/Users/Shared/Epic/UE_4.26/Engine/Source/Editor/VREditor/Public\"," + ProjectFileGenerator.NewLine);
Content.Append("					\"/Users/Shared/Epic/UE_4.26/Engine/Intermediate/Build/Mac/UE4Editor/Development/CommonMenuExtensions\"," + ProjectFileGenerator.NewLine);
Content.Append("					\"/Users/Shared/Epic/UE_4.26/Engine/Source/Editor/CommonMenuExtensions/Public\"," + ProjectFileGenerator.NewLine);
Content.Append("					\"/Users/Shared/Epic/UE_4.26/Engine/Intermediate/Build/Mac/UE4Editor/Inc/Landscape\"," + ProjectFileGenerator.NewLine);
Content.Append("					\"/Users/Shared/Epic/UE_4.26/Engine/Source/Runtime/Landscape/Classes\"," + ProjectFileGenerator.NewLine);
Content.Append("					\"/Users/Shared/Epic/UE_4.26/Engine/Source/Runtime/Landscape/Public\"," + ProjectFileGenerator.NewLine);
Content.Append("					\"/Users/Shared/Epic/UE_4.26/Engine/Intermediate/Build/Mac/UE4Editor/Inc/PropertyEditor\"," + ProjectFileGenerator.NewLine);
Content.Append("					\"/Users/Shared/Epic/UE_4.26/Engine/Source/Editor/PropertyEditor/Public\"," + ProjectFileGenerator.NewLine);
Content.Append("					\"/Users/Shared/Epic/UE_4.26/Engine/Intermediate/Build/Mac/UE4Editor/Development/ActorPickerMode\"," + ProjectFileGenerator.NewLine);
Content.Append("					\"/Users/Shared/Epic/UE_4.26/Engine/Source/Editor/ActorPickerMode/Public\"," + ProjectFileGenerator.NewLine);
Content.Append("					\"/Users/Shared/Epic/UE_4.26/Engine/Intermediate/Build/Mac/UE4Editor/Development/SceneDepthPickerMode\"," + ProjectFileGenerator.NewLine);
Content.Append("					\"/Users/Shared/Epic/UE_4.26/Engine/Source/Editor/SceneDepthPickerMode/Public\"," + ProjectFileGenerator.NewLine);
Content.Append("					\"/Users/Shared/Epic/UE_4.26/Engine/Intermediate/Build/Mac/UE4Editor/Inc/DetailCustomizations\"," + ProjectFileGenerator.NewLine);
Content.Append("					\"/Users/Shared/Epic/UE_4.26/Engine/Source/Editor/DetailCustomizations/Public\"," + ProjectFileGenerator.NewLine);
Content.Append("					\"/Users/Shared/Epic/UE_4.26/Engine/Intermediate/Build/Mac/UE4Editor/Inc/ClassViewer\"," + ProjectFileGenerator.NewLine);
Content.Append("					\"/Users/Shared/Epic/UE_4.26/Engine/Source/Editor/ClassViewer/Public\"," + ProjectFileGenerator.NewLine);
Content.Append("					\"/Users/Shared/Epic/UE_4.26/Engine/Intermediate/Build/Mac/UE4Editor/Inc/GraphEditor\"," + ProjectFileGenerator.NewLine);
Content.Append("					\"/Users/Shared/Epic/UE_4.26/Engine/Source/Editor/GraphEditor/Public\"," + ProjectFileGenerator.NewLine);
Content.Append("					\"/Users/Shared/Epic/UE_4.26/Engine/Intermediate/Build/Mac/UE4Editor/Inc/StructViewer\"," + ProjectFileGenerator.NewLine);
Content.Append("					\"/Users/Shared/Epic/UE_4.26/Engine/Source/Editor/StructViewer/Public\"," + ProjectFileGenerator.NewLine);
Content.Append("					\"/Users/Shared/Epic/UE_4.26/Engine/Intermediate/Build/Mac/UE4Editor/Inc/ContentBrowser\"," + ProjectFileGenerator.NewLine);
Content.Append("					\"/Users/Shared/Epic/UE_4.26/Engine/Source/Editor/ContentBrowser/Public\"," + ProjectFileGenerator.NewLine);
Content.Append("					\"/Users/Shared/Epic/UE_4.26/Engine/Intermediate/Build/Mac/UE4Editor/Inc/ContentBrowserData\"," + ProjectFileGenerator.NewLine);
Content.Append("					\"/Users/Shared/Epic/UE_4.26/Engine/Source/Editor/ContentBrowserData/Public\"," + ProjectFileGenerator.NewLine);
Content.Append("					\"/Users/Shared/Epic/UE_4.26/Engine/Intermediate/Build/Mac/UE4Editor/Development/CollectionManager\"," + ProjectFileGenerator.NewLine);
Content.Append("					\"/Users/Shared/Epic/UE_4.26/Engine/Source/Developer/CollectionManager/Public\"," + ProjectFileGenerator.NewLine);
Content.Append("					\"/Users/Shared/Epic/UE_4.26/Engine/Intermediate/Build/Mac/UE4Editor/Development/NetworkFileSystem\"," + ProjectFileGenerator.NewLine);
Content.Append("					\"/Users/Shared/Epic/UE_4.26/Engine/Source/Runtime/NetworkFileSystem/Public\"," + ProjectFileGenerator.NewLine);
Content.Append("					\"/Users/Shared/Epic/UE_4.26/Engine/Intermediate/Build/Mac/UE4Editor/Inc/UMG\"," + ProjectFileGenerator.NewLine);
Content.Append("					\"/Users/Shared/Epic/UE_4.26/Engine/Source/Runtime/UMG/Public\"," + ProjectFileGenerator.NewLine);
Content.Append("					\"/Users/Shared/Epic/UE_4.26/Engine/Intermediate/Build/Mac/UE4Editor/Inc/MovieScene\"," + ProjectFileGenerator.NewLine);
Content.Append("					\"/Users/Shared/Epic/UE_4.26/Engine/Source/Runtime/MovieScene/Public\"," + ProjectFileGenerator.NewLine);
Content.Append("					\"/Users/Shared/Epic/UE_4.26/Engine/Intermediate/Build/Mac/UE4Editor/Inc/TimeManagement\"," + ProjectFileGenerator.NewLine);
Content.Append("					\"/Users/Shared/Epic/UE_4.26/Engine/Source/Runtime/TimeManagement/Public\"," + ProjectFileGenerator.NewLine);
Content.Append("					\"/Users/Shared/Epic/UE_4.26/Engine/Intermediate/Build/Mac/UE4Editor/Inc/MovieSceneTracks\"," + ProjectFileGenerator.NewLine);
Content.Append("					\"/Users/Shared/Epic/UE_4.26/Engine/Source/Runtime/MovieSceneTracks/Public\"," + ProjectFileGenerator.NewLine);
Content.Append("					\"/Users/Shared/Epic/UE_4.26/Engine/Intermediate/Build/Mac/UE4Editor/Inc/AnimationCore\"," + ProjectFileGenerator.NewLine);
Content.Append("					\"/Users/Shared/Epic/UE_4.26/Engine/Source/Runtime/AnimationCore/Public\"," + ProjectFileGenerator.NewLine);
Content.Append("					\"/Users/Shared/Epic/UE_4.26/Engine/Intermediate/Build/Mac/UE4Editor/Inc/PropertyPath\"," + ProjectFileGenerator.NewLine);
Content.Append("					\"/Users/Shared/Epic/UE_4.26/Engine/Source/Runtime/PropertyPath/Public\"," + ProjectFileGenerator.NewLine);
Content.Append("					\"/Users/Shared/Epic/UE_4.26/Engine/Intermediate/Build/Mac/UE4Editor/Inc/NavigationSystem\"," + ProjectFileGenerator.NewLine);
Content.Append("					\"/Users/Shared/Epic/UE_4.26/Engine/Source/Runtime/NavigationSystem/Public\"," + ProjectFileGenerator.NewLine);
Content.Append("					\"/Users/Shared/Epic/UE_4.26/Engine/Intermediate/Build/Mac/UE4Editor/Development/MeshBuilder\"," + ProjectFileGenerator.NewLine);
Content.Append("					\"/Users/Shared/Epic/UE_4.26/Engine/Source/Developer/MeshBuilder/Public\"," + ProjectFileGenerator.NewLine);
Content.Append("					\"/Users/Shared/Epic/UE_4.26/Engine/Intermediate/Build/Mac/UE4Editor/Inc/MaterialShaderQualitySettings\"," + ProjectFileGenerator.NewLine);
Content.Append("					\"/Users/Shared/Epic/UE_4.26/Engine/Source/Runtime/MaterialShaderQualitySettings/Classes\"," + ProjectFileGenerator.NewLine);
Content.Append("					\"/Users/Shared/Epic/UE_4.26/Engine/Intermediate/Build/Mac/UE4Editor/Inc/InteractiveToolsFramework\"," + ProjectFileGenerator.NewLine);
Content.Append("					\"/Users/Shared/Epic/UE_4.26/Engine/Source/Runtime/Experimental/InteractiveToolsFramework/Public\"," + ProjectFileGenerator.NewLine);
Content.Append("					\"/Users/Shared/Epic/UE_4.26/Engine/Intermediate/Build/Mac/UE4Editor/Inc/ToolMenusEditor\"," + ProjectFileGenerator.NewLine);
Content.Append("					\"/Users/Shared/Epic/UE_4.26/Engine/Source/Editor/ToolMenusEditor/Public\"," + ProjectFileGenerator.NewLine);
Content.Append("					\"/Users/Shared/Epic/UE_4.26/Engine/Intermediate/Build/Mac/UE4Editor/Inc/ToolMenus\"," + ProjectFileGenerator.NewLine);
Content.Append("					\"/Users/Shared/Epic/UE_4.26/Engine/Source/Developer/ToolMenus/Public\"," + ProjectFileGenerator.NewLine);
Content.Append("					\"/Users/Shared/Epic/UE_4.26/Engine/Intermediate/Build/Mac/UE4Editor/Development/AssetTagsEditor\"," + ProjectFileGenerator.NewLine);
Content.Append("					\"/Users/Shared/Epic/UE_4.26/Engine/Source/Editor/AssetTagsEditor/Public\"," + ProjectFileGenerator.NewLine);
Content.Append("					\"/Users/Shared/Epic/UE_4.26/Engine/Intermediate/Build/Mac/UE4Editor/Inc/AddContentDialog\"," + ProjectFileGenerator.NewLine);
Content.Append("					\"/Users/Shared/Epic/UE_4.26/Engine/Source/Editor/AddContentDialog/Public\"," + ProjectFileGenerator.NewLine);
Content.Append("					\"/Users/Shared/Epic/UE_4.26/Engine/Intermediate/Build/Mac/UE4Editor/Development/MeshUtilities\"," + ProjectFileGenerator.NewLine);
Content.Append("					\"/Users/Shared/Epic/UE_4.26/Engine/Source/ThirdParty/Intel/Embree/Embree2140/MacOSX/include\"," + ProjectFileGenerator.NewLine);
Content.Append("					\"/Users/Shared/Epic/UE_4.26/Engine/Source/Developer/MeshUtilities/Public\"," + ProjectFileGenerator.NewLine);
Content.Append("					\"/Users/Shared/Epic/UE_4.26/Engine/Intermediate/Build/Mac/UE4Editor/Development/MeshMergeUtilities\"," + ProjectFileGenerator.NewLine);
Content.Append("					\"/Users/Shared/Epic/UE_4.26/Engine/Source/Developer/MeshMergeUtilities/Public\"," + ProjectFileGenerator.NewLine);
Content.Append("					\"/Users/Shared/Epic/UE_4.26/Engine/Intermediate/Build/Mac/UE4Editor/Development/HierarchicalLODUtilities\"," + ProjectFileGenerator.NewLine);
Content.Append("					\"/Users/Shared/Epic/UE_4.26/Engine/Source/Developer/HierarchicalLODUtilities/Public\"," + ProjectFileGenerator.NewLine);
Content.Append("					\"/Users/Shared/Epic/UE_4.26/Engine/Intermediate/Build/Mac/UE4Editor/Development/MeshReductionInterface\"," + ProjectFileGenerator.NewLine);
Content.Append("					\"/Users/Shared/Epic/UE_4.26/Engine/Source/Developer/MeshReductionInterface/Public\"," + ProjectFileGenerator.NewLine);
Content.Append("					\"/Users/Shared/Epic/UE_4.26/Engine/Intermediate/Build/Mac/UE4Editor/Inc/AssetTools\"," + ProjectFileGenerator.NewLine);
Content.Append("					\"/Users/Shared/Epic/UE_4.26/Engine/Source/Developer/AssetTools/Public\"," + ProjectFileGenerator.NewLine);
Content.Append("					\"/Users/Shared/Epic/UE_4.26/Engine/Intermediate/Build/Mac/UE4Editor/Development/KismetCompiler\"," + ProjectFileGenerator.NewLine);
Content.Append("					\"/Users/Shared/Epic/UE_4.26/Engine/Source/Editor/KismetCompiler/Public\"," + ProjectFileGenerator.NewLine);
Content.Append("					\"/Users/Shared/Epic/UE_4.26/Engine/Intermediate/Build/Mac/UE4Editor/Inc/GameplayTasks\"," + ProjectFileGenerator.NewLine);
Content.Append("					\"/Users/Shared/Epic/UE_4.26/Engine/Source/Runtime/GameplayTasks/Classes\"," + ProjectFileGenerator.NewLine);
Content.Append("					\"/Users/Shared/Epic/UE_4.26/Engine/Source/Runtime/GameplayTasks/Public\"," + ProjectFileGenerator.NewLine);
Content.Append("					\"/Users/Shared/Epic/UE_4.26/Engine/Intermediate/Build/Mac/UE4Editor/Inc/AIModule\"," + ProjectFileGenerator.NewLine);
Content.Append("					\"/Users/Shared/Epic/UE_4.26/Engine/Source/Runtime/AIModule/Public\"," + ProjectFileGenerator.NewLine);
Content.Append("					\"/Users/Shared/Epic/UE_4.26/Engine/Source/Runtime/AIModule/Classes\"," + ProjectFileGenerator.NewLine);
Content.Append("					\"/Users/Shared/Epic/UE_4.26/Engine/Intermediate/Build/Mac/UE4Editor/Inc/Kismet\"," + ProjectFileGenerator.NewLine);
Content.Append("					\"/Users/Shared/Epic/UE_4.26/Engine/Source/Editor/Kismet/Classes\"," + ProjectFileGenerator.NewLine);
Content.Append("					\"/Users/Shared/Epic/UE_4.26/Engine/Source/Editor/Kismet/Public\"," + ProjectFileGenerator.NewLine);
Content.Append("					\"/Users/Shared/Epic/UE_4.26/Engine/Intermediate/Build/Mac/UE4Editor/Inc/ClothingSystemRuntimeInterface\"," + ProjectFileGenerator.NewLine);
Content.Append("					\"../../Source/**\"," + ProjectFileGenerator.NewLine);
Content.Append("					\"../Build/Mac/UE4Editor/Inc/" + TargetName + "\"," + ProjectFileGenerator.NewLine);

You probably need to fix install directory path (/Users/Shared/Epic/UE_4.26). This way I hardcoded all search paths. What I noticed is that UE editor generates also some paths that are not exist, at least on my machine :). Maybe if I try to build engine from source.

And for 4.26.0 you need to fix permissions first

1. cd /Users/Shared/UnrealEngine/UE_4.26
  2. sudo chown -R whoami Engine
  3. chmod -R u+rw Engine

I reinstalled without the space in “Epic Games” in the install path and surprisingly, it had no impact that I can yet see, but it’s all reinstalled and working again enough to keep development moving. Interestingly, the 4.26.1 didn’t require the permissions fix that 4.26.0 required, but for completeness, it’s valuable to have that in this thread in case someone else runs into it.

As to the process of reinstallation on the Mac, I discovered that the way you would do it on WIndows, will not work on the Mac version of the installer. On Windows, apparently you can copy the directory to the new path you want the engine version installed in, then uninstall the old copy, and reinstall selecting the new path (using the Browse function you mentioned above). This is supposed to allow you to reinstall without redownloading. On the Mac, when you do the browse, it refuses to reinstall unless the target directory is empty, meaning the Installer will not just verify the contents of that directory. That would have saved me several hours of download had it worked.

Now that we are on the same path configuration, I’m going to look into trying some of your fixes.

Yes, building from source is an interesting proposition. One of the things I’m working on is getting our project ready for Unreal 5. The plugin version of Chaos physics (at least for vehicles), will not work unless you build from source. There is no macOS 4.26 binary preview version in the Installer as there is on WIndows.

Yesterday I tried to build 4.26.1 from source. Ended up with 80GB folder :). UE editor compiled without any issues. Tried one c++ project and there are some compilation errors that I couldn’t solve.
For chaos, I think there is a version for Mac, you need to scroll to the bottom. I didn’t try that one.

Well Darn, I didn’t see that. Last night I downloaded the .git source and am currently 20% into updating dependencies. Today I’ll build from source with the compile Chaos flags. It’s probably just as well because I can track the most current changes. We won’t be packaging until after UE5 comes out.

I made the changes from your OP for search paths and for the first time in years, I compiled without those completion errors on my classes. It was short lived because as I worked, I had to rebuild binaries, generate XCode project and they returned. Since they are cosmetic in nature, I had to punt and get back to working on the actual project. Sure was nice though to have the output panel not filled with errors for once. Is there some way you could quantify your findings in a bug report. It would be great if Epic eliminated these problems once and for all.