UE4 Auto-reimport from Sketchup Causing System Crash

Hi There–My workflow includes using Sketchup for building my architectural models and then importing them into Unreal Studio. When I attempt to open my UE4 file which contains the sketchup/datasmith file, the system prompts me to import the new changes that have occurred in the sketchup model. Upon accepting the auto-reimport, UE4 crashes immediately. Does anyone have any insight as to why this might be happening and what I can do to stop it?

I should also note that the auto-reimport between sketchup and UE4 seems to have some lag/glitches right now. Not sure if this is b/c of the beta version or if it has something to do with my workflow.

Thank you!

Hi there ,

I’m unable to reproduce your issue.
May i ask what version of UE you’re using?
Is your Datasmith in sync with the version of UE ?

Thank you

“Does anyone have any insight as to why this might be happening and what I can do to stop it?”

I am not sure if you are using the auto-reimport feature of unreal deliberately or accidentally.

The reimport feature of unreal is monitoring assets in a directory, detect file changes and triggers reimport on everything found:

With Datasmith, its a bit more complicated as not only we have a *.datasmith file, but we also have assets and Unreal’s reimport functionality might get a bit lost. I would recommend you to place your *.udatasmith scene from sketchup in a directory that is not monitored by the auto import functionality of the Unreal Editor. Its a workflow we never spent time supporting correctly at this point.