UE4 and Visual Studio 2015

?? Not sure what your question is ??

Unreal works perfectly fine with Visual Studio 2015 as long as you stay away from Express. Express is a crappy version of VS anyway. Use Community.

Do I have to select any custom install options, like “C++”, when installing Visual Studio Community 2015…or can I just use the default install options?

Thanks

Yes, you will have to go into advanced options during installation to select C++. I don’t believe it’s installed by default.

Thanks for the reply :slight_smile:

Is Unreal 4.10.2 using Visual studio 2015 automatically?? or do I have to do something?? and what??

I describe steps about Unreal Engine installation for Visual Studio 2015 here:

installed visual studio 2015 community now again and every plugins, but still get every time automationtool was unable to run succesfully. I have get only one project packaged, but still have 3 more to come, and even if I started unreal project packaking failed. Unreal is the best gamemaking engine, but have to consider unity, what sense make games if packaking always fails

Downloaded UE4 already installed VS before. cl.exe not found when creating project…
I installed 4.10.4. Now I know why Epic Games made UE4 free. I’ll try reinstalling VS and then this engine if it doesn’t work after that I’ll remove it from my hard drive and go back to what I’ve been using for the simple reason the other software works.

Hi,

I’m not a programmer, so normally I don’t have Visual Studio but UE4 asks for it if you want to package a game. I downloaded the 2015 Community and installed with the “Typical” settings as I have no idea what I need. Well it seems it doesn’t work that way and it took half a day to figure out what was wrong, so I thought I would share my findings to save the hassle for others. So when I wanted to package for Windows I got the error “You are attempting to compile on a machine that does not have a supported compiler”. Most of the solutions I found were for VS2013 that had an issue locating the Common Tools. Well it seems if you installed VS with the typical settings you won’t actaully get the right Common tools so those techniques won’t help. You need to install it with custom settings and in the Programming languages tab choose Visual C++, that has an other Common tools. (if you haven’t done this you can just get the VS uninstaller and choose modify instead of uninstall)

If this solution works for others it would be good to mention it in the Package docs, imho. :slight_smile:

Fisher

Well, it was mentioned here several times and is also documented on the wiki: Setting Up Visual Studio Development Environment for C++ Projects in Unreal Engine | Unreal Engine 5.3 Documentation

Indeed, but that is about the proper setup of VS for programmers. I have no coding intentions, I just wanted to package a project. It might be straightforward for a programmer, but it’s chinese for an artist. Why not just drop a line in the packaging docs so that others don’t have to dig through an other useless docs page? :slight_smile:

When i try to create a C++ project (with 2015 Community installed), in 4.11.1 and 4.11.2 i get an error that 2013 is required…

Disclaimer: This is my first time i try to setup a C++ project, and my previous 2015 did not had the extra custom Component Tools installed. Currently reinstalling…

Update
After uninstalling VB 2013 and my previous VB 2015, and reinstalling VB 2015 “Community” with “Component Tools” i was able to create a blank C++ project.

Related
Plugins Are Only Working For People in a Package Game if they have C++ Project

I installed Visual Studio 2015 for another matter and kept 2013 for UE4.

Today I wanted to compile my game project with 2013 and got this error message:

Error	61	error C1853: 'D:\Projects\ProjectNinja\Intermediate\Build\Win64\UE4Editor\Development\ProjectNinja\ProjectNinja.h.pch' **
precompiled header file is from a previous version of the compiler, or the precompiled header is C++ and you are using it from C (or vice versa)	**
D:\Projects\ProjectNinja\Source\ProjectNinja\CustomGameViewportClient.cpp	1	1	ProjectNinja

It seems VS 2015 has overwriten or changed the c++ compiler. I guess, I need to switch to 2015 for UE4. Which steps are necessary to convert my 2013 project to 2015? Which files must be deleted and generated anew?

To expand these questions, I would also like to know how to achieve an error free upgrade of a github compiled engine from 2013 to 2015.

Thanks in advance for any clarification.

I think it would be prudent to regenerate the VS solution and then tell VS to rebuild the game project or to delete the intermediates sub folder where the intermediate compile files are stored.

hTH

@ryan20fun
Thank you, "Rebuild"ing the solution was the key. Such a silly oversight by me.

Your welcome

We all make oversights, Hopefully we get better at not making them :slight_smile:

Hello, this is happening to every plugin i want to recompile. I don´t understand what i have to do and as always, google isn´t helping that much. My guess : Its to easy for someone who understands it.
Cryptic as always. Anyway, what does ‘GetModuleFilename is deprecated, use the ModuleDirectory property on any ModuleRules instead to get a path to your module.’ mean and how to fix it ?

-waitmutex" exited with code 5. Please verify that you have sufficient rights to run this command is even more cryptic. I solved it not long ago and now its telling me this again. UAC control is
down and i have admin rights vor visual studio. I even made sure that there is no override protection.

Thanks in advance,

Maternal

In the X.Build.cs (Replace X with the module in questions name) you want to replace “return Path.GetDirectoryName(RulesCompiler.GetModuleFilename(this.GetType().Name));” with only “return ModuleDirectory;”.

So for example if the problem is in the ModulePath it will be changed from:

private string ModulePath
    {
        get { return Path.GetDirectoryName(RulesCompiler.GetModuleFilename(this.GetType().Name)); }
    }

To this:

private string ModulePath
    {
        get { return ModuleDirectory; }
    }

Hope it helps :slight_smile:

I am experiencing the opposite, 4.13 won’t build with VS2013 it does with VS2015 :confused:

for 4.11 i still require vs2013 for android build from engine source.
is that same for 4.12.3 or higher version?
I want to switch to vs2015 completely.
dont want to use another vs for an speicific os.
i am having nightmares because of the conflicts between these two version of visual studio