UE4.6.1 "Externally Referenced" on basic map

Just wanted to add - this still happens using the recommended method.

I started a project in 4.9, then opened 4.10 - tried opening my 4.9 project, and chose “Open a Copy”

Lots of external reference errors. I managed to fix it with the method above (project folder renaming) but this is not a problem that is only affecting those converting or using the “not recommended” method.

Yup. I also got this issue even though I used the recommended method (tried open a 4.9 project in 4.10 and chose “Open a Copy”).

Renaming project folder helped.

Also got the same issue going from 4.9 to 4.10. Solved by renaming the folder as well.

Can confirm this, issue remains with 4.10 (but workaround works also)

This solution worked, but what puzzles me is why has this bug not been fixed? The bug was posted a year ago.

In case anyone at Epic is listening. I copied my 4.9.2 project and opened it with a vanilla build of 4.11, which I converted in place. The warning showed up when the 4.11 version opened.

-S

Having the same problem on a project migrated from 4.9 to 4.10.
I tried replacing the borked items with new ones but then get the same errors.
A build from the same folder contents works fine on a mac, with no errors on editor map load, no errors on compile, no errors on build.
A build from the same folder contents works on the initial map loaded from the exe on a PC, but fails to load new maps (resets current map instead). UE editor gives you a handful of “externally referenced” errors on map load. No errors on compile or build.
PC side is where I am getting the errors. Mac side seems content.

PS I tried the renaming-folder trick but it did not fix the problem.

Ridiculous but yea… it’s still present in 4.10.1.

I get external error for anything placed inside any of my maps. Thing is, this is a fresh 4.10.1 project, not upgraded. The only thing I can think of is it’s a source controlled project. In my main test map, the meshes/materials were migrated from a previous (older) project and the other map is being worked on and updated by someone else on the project. I have not yet tried the renaming of my folders yet to see if this solves the issue; this, I think, will prove a challenging task with the source control but I will give it a shot.

With these errors coming on a new, non-upgraded project, proves that this is not a result of not following Epic’s recommended upgrade procedures. There is something else going on and it should be looked at deeper. I have not tried to build my project yet with all these warnings but I have a bad feeling. I will be trying a build/package this weekend just to test.

I am not using source control, yet. Same problem.

You rock. Thank you!

Thank you!

■■■■, I’ve changed name of the folder but it was o ver one week ago and cant remember original name of the folder, is there any way to retrieve it?

THX

I experienced this yesterday, opening my project made in 4.10 with 4.11. I did choose “Open a copy”, but still got an external reference error. Have not tried the workaround of renaming the project, but will do when I get home from work.

When you create a new project, the project name you choose will be used in many places, like the name of the project folder itself, but also the .uproject file that resides at the root of your project folder.

There’s the .sln file, and even your binaries in Projectfolder\Binaries\Win64\ will contain the original project name. I don’t know how you have done the renaming though, but you should be able to find the original name, somewhere.

Thank you!

Thanks for the workaround!

Doesn’t work. I rename the folder, launched the project. Saved it. Renamed it back, launched again - this error still exists.

On 4.11.2 I broke my project and had to move contents folder to a new project, which resulted in this error. Using this fix worked. Thanks!

When I migrated form 4.10 to 4.11 with my project UE4 named the copy with a " 4.11" suffix. Please not the space before the version.

I suppose UE4 has problems when the path to the project contains spaces. When I renamed it so that the space was removed I could open my project without warnings.