UE4 4.26 Static mesh editor crash opening any static mesh

I have just started working with version 4.26, here is what happens I have created a new project with a blueprint and blank template settings, and added starter content.
Once the project loads, I simply click on the starter content folder props and select any prop such as the sm_chair to go to the static mesh editor at about 25% the editor crashes.
Thank you for any help with this.

System Specs.
Windows 7 home premium sp1
12GB Ram
Intel Pentium CPU G3258 3.20 GHz
GeForce GTX 1070

Crash Report.
LoginId:8ea750104f3b917184e5c18c7d45cce0
EpicAccountId:c2298533e53b41a586092e1b8c674229

Assertion failed: IsValid() [File:D:\Build++UE4\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Core\Public\Templates/SharedPointer.h]

[Line: 824]

UE4Editor_Core
UE4Editor_Core
UE4Editor_StaticMeshEditor
UE4Editor_Slate
UE4Editor_Slate
UE4Editor_Slate
UE4Editor_Slate
UE4Editor_Slate
UE4Editor_Slate
UE4Editor_Slate
UE4Editor_Slate
UE4Editor_UnrealEd
UE4Editor_UnrealEd
UE4Editor_UnrealEd
UE4Editor_UnrealEd
UE4Editor_AssetTools
UE4Editor_UnrealEd
UE4Editor_UnrealEd
UE4Editor_UnrealEd
UE4Editor_ContentBrowserAssetDataSource
UE4Editor_ContentBrowser
UE4Editor_ContentBrowser
UE4Editor_ContentBrowser
UE4Editor_ContentBrowser
UE4Editor_ContentBrowser
UE4Editor_ContentBrowser
UE4Editor_ContentBrowser
UE4Editor_Slate
UE4Editor_Slate
UE4Editor_Slate
UE4Editor_Slate
UE4Editor_ApplicationCore
user32
user32
UE4Editor
UE4Editor
UE4Editor
UE4Editor
UE4Editor
kernel32
ntdll

1 Like

It happens the same to me!

Win 10
i7 8700K
16 ram
gtx 1650 super

I fix up all redirectors, verified UE installation and delete “saved”, “intermediate” and “DerivedDataCache” folders.
it’s still crashing.

Here is an update on the issue from unreal for those having the same problem, It looks like it was fixed and will be released for version 4.27.
Thank you to all who fixed this problem.

This issue started occurring for me seemingly at random, after having opened the static mesh window many times without issue.
A work-around that worked for me was to reset the layout of the editor to the default, or one of the layouts I had stored earlier.

(e.g.: Window > Load Layout > Default Editor Layout)

After that, I could open the static mesh window again without crashing.

10 Likes

Can confirm this is related to layout. Had the same issue, no static mesh would load in whatever project. Suspiciously right/near when I changed my layout. Recall b/c I never do so and soon after I started crashing.

For sure I can confirm reloading the default layout immediately resolved the issue for me.

2 Likes

???
Is there 4.27 not 5.1?

TKS you are right

1 Like

Thanks! you just saved my mental health!

2 Likes

Awesome This Worked Thanks! I just deleted my saved layout and created a new one, bingo.

1 Like

Thank you so very very mush. Just downloaded 4.27 in hopes it was fixed, it wasn’t but this saved me, lol ^^

1 Like

Worked for me on source build 4.26.2 on 2/17/22 Windows 10 with latest update. Thank you so much!

Dude. Thank you so very much. This means a lot to me. Thank you, really. I thought 6 months of work got corrupted beyond salvation.

Hi guys, I found another way around it → Clone the project.

I couldn’t open it anymore due to many different ways I tried. Cloned the project, opened the second one, loaded the default layout, saved, reopened the first one, did the same et voila.

Hope it can help someone in need.