Download

UE4 4.26.1 has been running fine until today. Any ideas?

Hi all, so until today 4.26.1 has been running fine but now every 15-20 minutes it crashes and comes up with the same error. I’ve tried looking into it but a lot of information doesn’t seem to have conclusive answers and was wondering if there was anyone who may know what’s causing this issue and how I may fix it.

Here is the log when it crashes:

***Fatal error: [File:D:/Build/++UE4/Sync/Engine/Source/Runtime/Windows/D3D11RHI/Private/D3D11Util.cpp] [Line: 198] Unreal Engine is exiting due to D3D device being lost. (Error: 0x887A0020 - ‘INTERNAL_ERROR’)

UE4Editor_D3D11RHI
UE4Editor_D3D11RHI
UE4Editor_D3D11RHI
UE4Editor_D3D11RHI
UE4Editor_RHI
UE4Editor_RHI
UE4Editor_RHI
UE4Editor_RHI
UE4Editor_RHI
UE4Editor_SlateRHIRenderer
UE4Editor_Core
UE4Editor_Core
UE4Editor_RenderCore
UE4Editor_RenderCore
UE4Editor_Core
UE4Editor_Core
kernel32
ntdll***

Just a stab in the dark. Did you happen to run it on notebook and you did not plug it to the power point?

Nope, it’s running on my pc and never had a problem with it like this for the past 3 years.

I’m having the exact same problem. Everything was working fine for long time (and I mean, since I started using Unreal more than 6 years ago) up to somewhere in the past one or two months. The engine started crashig with that same GPU lost error and happening while doing the simplest UI operations in the editor. Hovering over a menu option or clicking on some setting It would suddenly freeze then crash (Windows kills and reconnects the GPU basically due to Unreal freezing). Nothing to trace in the logs (except the GPU disconnect). I just got a new computer and for the first two weeks everything was again back to stable, so I assumed it might have been my previous aging system what caused the crashes… until about two days ago, I’m now back to having the same constant crashes! I was teaching an UE workshop today and I had 4 or 5 crashes within 3 hours. This is something that only happens with Unreal Engine (even UE5 also started crashing in the same way), other demanding GPU applications don’t show any issues.

As you can see, Slate is in the call stack of the crash, so it could be related to UI rendering. Also apparently this only happens with projects that are RHI DX12 for me, although for you it seems to happen with DX11 too.

This error, can happen with couple of things. Driver fall-backed to microsoft standard GPU drive. Update your drive in device manager. Another program using the GPU at same time. Some direct3d cache cannot be writing.