UE4 4.13.1 Flipbooks/Sprite Sheet Creation for UMG

I have been using Adobe AfterEffects to create some VFX to use in my game for UE4 4.13.1 on my game menu screens.

The way that I got it to work for UMG is by using a plugin I bought from the asset store. (I don’t know if there is a manual way to do this, if there is can someone let me know about how to have animated sprites on a UMG)

I have used the flipbook method and by using the plugin got my sprites to function on my menu screens.

The problem is the method to convert sprites to a sprite sheet for use with a flipbook in UE4.

Does anyone know of the best way of doing converting sprites to a spritesheet for hundreds of sprites? I tried TexturePacker (it sucks for multitudes of sprites)

The way I am doing it now, is just saving my sprites in layers via Photoshop and using a Photoshop Script for a SpriteSheet Maker to export it into UE4.

The problem is when I have a multitude of sprites. (Let’s say one high quality effect using Afftereffects is 299 sprites.)

Can someone provide me a resource for making a spritesheet with over 100 sprites efficiently?

bumping thread for answer

I’ve been using After Effects recently too. You want to use Glueit, you select your sprites and it generates a sheet based on # of columns as input.

EDIT: I ended up using the Flipbook node in my materials. Then I just set my UMG image widget’s image to my material (or material instance). The thing to note is your material’s Material Domain needs to be set to User Interface.

Thanks, I am going to try it out!

If you use GIMP, then Flipbook Maker (Script-Fu) will generate a single Grid-based (X*Y) Flipbook Image from Image Layers.

INSTALLATION

1. To Install, copy Flipbook.scm to {GIMP-HOME}\share\GIMP\2.0\scripts\Flipbook-Maker.scm
  2. Select Top Menu > Filters > Script-Fu > Refresh Scripts OR Exit and re-launch GIMP

HOW TO USE

1. Create New Image OR Load Image.
  2. Add desired Images as Layers to Image. Select Top Menu > File > Open as Layers (Ctrl+Alt+O)
    OR Top Menu > Edit > Paste as > New Layer
  3. Order Layers as desired from Bottom to Top. Bottom Layer is the First Cell (Top-Left) in the Flipbook.
  4. Select Top Menu > Filters > Animation > Make Flipbook
  5. Enter the Number of Horizontal Cells. Vertical Cells are auto-calculated by Layers/Horizontal Cells.
  6. The Script will generate a new image (Horizontal Cells * Image.width) * (Vertical Cells * Image.height)
    Save New Flipbook Image in desired format.