(UE4-27)Tower Defense - Enemy Detection

Good morning everyone,

I hope you’re all doing well!
Currently I’m working on a small tower defense project where you can place towers freely in a third person space. Open rotation and so long as they’re not overlapping each other, they can be placed. Most of these have a cone of detection (ideally, though if it comes down to it, verticality may need to be eliminated) in order to identify when enemies come through.

I’m wondering what the best way to handle enemy detection would be for having an estimated cap of 200 towers. I was thinking of using AI detection and having an AI controller for player towers, but that might be a bit heavy on processing.

Is using pawn sensing an option, or should I look for a different solution?

I would use traces to check for enemy Actors.
Since your Enemies won’t run in Lightspeed, there is no need for tracing every frame… so it won’t affect performance much…
just check for enemies all 5-10 frames and its good.

Do complex traces for channel and give your enemies their own Trace channel, to avoid tracing for other actors than your enemies.

Thank you!

Yeah, looking through some setup on this, I think this will be a much simpler solution for me to implement too. A little bit of math to get the angle of the enemy and it should be good.