UE4.26 crash at project startup

Hello,

We’ve made a switch to a new bug reporting method using a more structured form. Please visit the link below for more details and report the issue using the new Bug Submission Form. Feel free to continue to use this thread for community discussion around the issue.

Thanks

Hi,

I’ve been working non-stop for 1 month and a half on things and suddently the project decided that it would not load anymore. It was working fine as intended but i had this Widget text not updating. So as always, i was going to restart the editor to check if that was just a temporary bug as sometimes it is needed to do.

My project was fine and now i can’t open it, there is a StackOverflow issue, and i’ve literally no idea from where the issue is. LOGS → link text

While i was in the editor testing i had no error nor warning poping-up.

Suddently i’m stuck with an unusable project… And it does really stress / frustrate me a lot right now.

I would appreciate any indication that might help, thank you for your time.

PS : i’ve no idea if this is the right section to post into, so if not, sorry.

Okay i’ve been doing some " raw " debuging by copying my project and deleting the UASSET files that i’ve been working on recently.

I’ve found the file that was the initial problem but it’s more than that, the file (my “ALS_InventoryPlayerCharacter” Blueprint ) seems to be corrupted for some unknown reaons as all references to it are now broken. I can’t even right click on any save or this file nor the original, it causes a freeze and then a crash

There was indeed a mistake made by me.

I add a WBP_ParentBase wich is the parent of multiples WBP_Child1 … 2 … etc

And i don’t know how but i forgot about this and did add a widgetSwitch inside WBP_ParentBase and put WBP_Child1, WBP_Child2, WBP_Child3, inside it.

Therefor i recursivly asked for WBP_ParentBase each time a child was loaded.

It would be better if Unreal could check for this kind of bad behavior when actually adding a child inside a parent based on that same parent or maybe even make this impossible. While saving the Widget, while launching inside the editor or as i said while it’s being put inside with a reference check.

Sorry but i’m not going to use the form as you can now recreate the issue and as the issue is now fixed by myself.
I hope this is not an intended behavior from the editor because it locked my project as i couldn’t launch the project in the editor.