UE4.25 won't open 4.24 projects

Hi, I created a project using UE4.24 (including landscape, hundreds of actors, assets, animations, characters, recorded secquences, etc).
I am using animated characters imported from Iclone7, and some of them come into my project with the facial expressions animation missing (the mouth opens and the eyes blink, but neither brows or lips or any other part of the face does). I discovered that in 4.25 this issue is solved and expressions works fine, but when I try to open my project (again, created using 4.24) with that newer version, I always get the same error sign: ā€œSubstance Graph data is missing or has been updated, would you like to rebuild the substance graphs now? Please cancel and backup your projects before continuing (the options I get are ā€˜yesā€™, ā€˜noā€™ and ā€˜cancelā€™)ā€ and it wonā€™t open, no matter what I do.
I couldnā€™t find any information about this error or about Substance graphs. The only solution I came up with was deleting the substance plugin from the project and then try to open it again, but that would make me lose hundreds of textures and materials.
I hope you can help me, thanks!

Remove substance plugin from plugins folder!

Iā€™m having this same issue. seems they changed how substance files are. 4 hours with it sitting here eating 100% cpu and NOT doing anything at all.

did you ever have anyluck with this? mine has been sitting here for hours

also if you have a build folder need to delete that as well so it can rebuild any code you got.

Yes i got it working. but donā€™t know if it will help you or not. what i did was end task on it. restarted my pc then deleted the intermediate/saved/deriveddata folders, reopened the project and it took alot less time to open. still took about 15 mins to open thou. once opened there was tons of broken nodes to fix. iā€™m sure this is why it took so long.

1 Like

No one uses substance in a plugin folder. the plugin is installed via launcher. and even removing it does nothing good. it will break every texture in your materials and still fail to open. this is not a fix.

This helped me, theni ran into a packaging error, for anyone else who has the same issue - This topic helped me get packaging again. Packaging Error 'Unable to find target 'UE4Game' - #3 by BStoneArch