ue release 4.11.1, material masked, s7 edge + gear vr,crashed.

Hi there,

Any news concerning this crash?
We are also dev for Gear VR and our next title will be released this month. But just discover that it crash on GearVR just on some S7 (with snapdragon) (works fine on others S7).

Thanks

I was troubled with the same problem, too, but worked without crashing if I deleted the mask material as you said. Thank you for giving information.
In addition, my galaxy is S7 Edge snapdragon(SC-02H), too.

So, still no solution for masked materials on S7 with Snapdragon ?

Do you see a message like this one in LogCat?:
W/Adreno-GSL(32053): : ioctl fd 34 code 0xc040094a (IOCTL_KGSL_GPU_COMMAND) failed: errno 35 Resource deadlock would occur

We are seeing this crash the S7 Edge with the Qualcomm Adreno (Snapdragon) hardware, but not on the regular S7. The edge is a hardware revision later (Rev0.7 for Edge vs Rev0.6 non-edge).

Far as I can tell, the IOCTL messages are a symptom, not the cause, as the various services fail when the application crashes. I saw that message, too, but the issue turned out to be an Opacity Mask as the original poster points out.

The issue is not the Opacity Mask. It simply materializes the issue. It’s either driver, or something else. In either case, it would be nice for Epic to pin point it, and hopefully report it to Oculus/Samsung/Qualcomm to be fixed (or provide some sort of workaround so that people could still use Masked materials in their projects for Snapdragon-based S7)

I was able to reproduce the crash using a masked material on a S7 Edge Snapdragon. The level would render for a fraction of a second, then the crash, which leads me to think it’s a problem that happens over a number of frames, not immediately upon rendering the material.

Build Number is

If one of these conditions wasn’t true, the game did not crash:

1. Game is running on the S7 Snapdragon. The S6 exhibited no crash.

2. Material uses the Masked blend mode. Switching to Translucent blend mode and using the Opacity pin prevented the crash.

3. Opacity Mask is connected to an input. Material could be on Masked blend mode, but if the Opacity Mask was left unconnected, there wasn’t a crash.

4. Game is running in VR mode. Running in non-VR mode prevented the crash.

Test apk is needed Re: Major crash when using masked materials on S7 ... - Oculus Community - 468374

Please provide.

I confirm the issue still exist in Engine 12.11, here is what my situation, my device info is

AT&T S7 - SM-G930A (Snapdragon variant)
Android Version: 6.0.1, Kernel : 3.18.20-7617530
VR Service Version: 2.5.38/253801000
VR Framework Version: 9

There is the latest update for the AT&T S7 as today.

As what I show my crash log in this [post][1], I found out that the masked material is the reason which cause a signal 11 crash, for example, a default material in the engine

UE412\Engine\Content\EngineMaterials\DefaultTextMaterialOpaque.uasset

which is an example used masked material, and using it will cause a signal 11 crash. By modifying the material into this

basically delete the link to Opacity Mask and change the Blend mode not use “Masked” fix the crash.

Again, the signal 11 crash only happen in VR mode on Snapdragon Variant of S7. My SM-G930FD (Exynos variant) do not have any problem with the same setup.

My SM-G930FD system info is
Android Version: 6.0.1, Kernel : 3.18.14-8888212
VR Service Version: 2.4.29/242900000
VR Framework Version: 11

I hope that this info helps!