UE is in English but uses tamil language or char set when asking to compile modules on linux

The issue only occurs when asking to compile modules during setup and when loading in old projects. This is not only a 4.26 it happens in 4.25, 4.24 and 5.0,0. I have tested and it happens on manjaro linux and the issues use to happen on garuda linux making me thing it might be a font config issue as the newest version of garuda linux this issue doesn’t seem to arise. It might also be a compilation as I am building all of these installations from the source on github and once I compiled it on the latest version of garuda linux and ran it on manjaro it didn’t have an issue until a week later when I had a backup of a 4.22 project and I must of used copied and converted that back up almost a dozen times and never had and issue but one day I launched and it was showing errors I so I decided to recompile again on manjaro and again with the tamil char set issue. troubleshooting this issue has been a big pain as it takes 2 hours to compile each time thinking that my small change will do something and nada I must have recompiled 4.26 at least 6 times already trying to fix this issue and was so exited to see if the issue was gone on 5.0.0 but sadly it still is here. Note these when compiled all these systems were pretty much fresh installation as unreal engine is usually one of the first things I install on a pc.

1 Like

If you are using arch just install xorg-fonts-misc and it’s dependency and I also installed noto-fonts-cjk not sure if both are necessary but its good to have both for good font coverage. If you are on debian install xorg-x11-fonts and xorg-x11-fonts-misc.

I can verify that, that solved the issue for me. Thanks a bunch!

adding for the search:
Wrong incorrect font language pop-up unreal

It just happens to use akruti2.ttf from package ttf-indic-otf, removing that package causes it to pick DejaVuSansMono.ttf from package ttf-dejavu which is much more readable.

Can confirm that removing ttf-indic-otf on Manjaro/Gnome v43.5 fixed the issue. Installing xorg-fonts-misc or noto-fonts-cjk however did not.