UE doesn't launch on mac high sierra

Hi everyone,
I’m attending a game jam next and I have to practice UE before. I’ve downloaded the latest version of UE via the Epic Games launcher. I have know a big yellow button saying “launch” Unreal Engine 4.24.3 but when I click it nothing happens… I also tried to open an UE file but same nothing launch… Any idea? I’m on mac high sierra 10.13.4. Thanks in advance for your help!
Cheers,
M.

2 Likes

I’m having the same exact issue,

I’m running High Sierra 10.13.6, and Unreal 4.24.3 will launch, though it does take quite a long time to show up following hitting the launch button. Unreal 4.25 does not launch at all…

I’m running High Sierra 10.13.6, and Unreal 4.24.3 will launch, though it does take quite a long time to show up following hitting the launch button. Unreal 4.25 does not launch at all…
[/QUOTE]

Hi DMC, I’m also having problems in launching 4.25.0 and yes I’m on an iMac with High Sierra 10.13.6, 4GHZ Intel Core i7 / 32 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 / AMD Radeon R9 M290X 2048 MB. Do you think installing 4.24.3 should work for me?

I am having the same problem. I am on a new iMac Pro running Catalina 10.15.4 and Unreal Engine 4.25 crashes immediately upon launch. 3GHz 10-core Intel Xeon W, 128 GB ram, Radeon Pro Vega 64X 16GB video card. What gives? Can anyone from Epic or Unreal chime in?

program not not launching! High Sierra 10.13.6 Would appreciate a response Unreal.

Same problem here. Tried 4.25.1 and 4.24.3. Running High Sierra 10.13.1, 3.2 GHz i5, 16 Gb RaM, GeForce GT755M

I was having the same problem and I tried to manually open the UE4Editor (not using the launcher) and I got an error that it now REQUIRES MacOS 10.14.6 or later. I updated to 10.14.6 and it launches now.

Exact error says:
You can’t use this version of the application “UE4Editor” with this version of macOS
You have macOS 10.13.6. The application requires
macOS 10.14.6 or later.

Apparently, the minimum system requirement is now MacOS 10.14.6. I ‘wish’ Unreal would’ve just documented that.

Is there a way to use an older version of UE thats compatible without OS X 10.14?

Thanks for the update! I had feared it was my operating system. I have a Mac Mini 2012 and I’d rather not subject him to anything higher than High Sierra right now.
Interestingly, EPIC don’t mention Mac compatibility at all anymore: Hardware and Software Specifications | Unreal Engine Documentation

If you’ve got a 2012 Mac Mini then it definitely can’t run UE4, it wouldn’t have a good enough CPU/GPU

Im on macOS and my UE4 4.25.4 is also not working

I tried launching it in Mac OS Big Sur on VirtualBox and Mac OS Monterey on VMWare and it won’t open the Epic Launcher at all.

Most of the time you can’t run complex 3D software like Unreal Engine through a virtual machine

Yeah, well without 3D Acceleration it’s not going to work. Can’t blame me for trying though. I can do it fine with Windows running in a virtual machine with 3D Acceleration and Hyper-V…I’ve done it but apparently there isn’t much support for any of that with Mac…no surprise there, they have always lacked support when it comes to basically everything developer related.