[UE BUG] Entire PC freezes and I have to Hard Reset it

If you’re on a laptop that sucks, you won’t be able to do anything yourself, if you’re still within warranty then send it in to get repaired.

Are you overclocking your CPU at all @SAMBUEV?

Something that seems to have helped me is to make sure you’re updated to the latest Nvidia drivers. I had an update available and decided to chance it. Afterwards I attempted to recreate every possible scenario I’ve had issues with in the past and none of them triggered the freeze. I’m sure that now I feel confident something will happen to disprove me, but for now it seems to have done the trick. I’m still restarting Unreal every so often just to be sure and keeping a close on my resources usage via Task Manager and all seems to be going well.

When was the last time you cleaned your PC, as in physically removed the dust and dirt from it? Could you be overheating at all?

Okay, so I had the same problem again on bran new Windows 10, I have run USB bootable MemTest utility and did a check it has showed me some errors, I could not figure out how to fix those error, so I decided to lower the RAM clock, in my BIOS it is called XMP profile, so I reset it to default instead of XMP-Profile2, and my RAM speed went back to 2400 instead of 3000Mhz, currently no restarts yet (instead of freezing it fully restarts wihtout asking anything, just power OFF and ON again). No restarts, I have not touch any Substance Painter suggestions (when you run it asking to modify registry keys in Windows to make GPU time longer). I think I can do Substance Painter suggestion anyway because my freezes are not related.

It is not a final conclusion, I still have to test UE4 for crashes, at this moment it is only the one program that crashes my PC, I have found some Errors probably in RAM, but not sure some people say it maybe whatever else (CPU, bad RAM slot connection, defective RAM maybe 1,2,3,4 or all of the together or some of them in multichannel mode fails, etc)

If it was RAM problem, don’t get G Skill RAM sticks

That would be a bummer if it was your RAM causing the problem, to have that much and have to replace it all SUCKS!

Did anything change for you after turning your RAM speed down? I have not had any crashes recently and have kept Unreal open whenever I can, just to see (after saving everything and making commits to my github of course!). So far, since I updated my Nvidia drivers, things seem to be going well.

It could also be project-dependent, been working on a couple side-by-side and the issue seemed more prevalent in one, yet when I go to recreate any situation I can think of that triggered the freeze, nothing happens, and none of the project settings are different from one another. I really think, at this point, it was unstable drivers for me, and on your side it was unstable drivers with the added bonus of some of your RAM not working correctly.

A bit of an update. I was curious to what exactly might be causing this bug, and I don’t believe UE4 is responsible at all.

I started tinkering with Unity a bit just to see if it happens when Unity is open for quite a while. I literally made a simple scene and just let it sit. To make sure it wasn’t just display drivers crashing and thus making it look like my PC was frozen, I played a bunch of music softly in the background and made sure it was a playlist longer than 4 hours. I barely made it into two hours before the music stopped and my PC came to a screeching halt. As far as I can tell, my resource monitor indicated that everything was operating nominally.

I’m thinking it’s definitely something to do with our GPUs, and the fact that we both have Nvidia cards is a bit of a red flag to me.While the latest drivers decreased the frequency of the lock-ups, something is still quite wrong.

Do you, by chance, have the latest Windows 10 updates? I do, and I don’t believe the problems came around for me until after the Fall Creators Update.

I have the same issue

Nvidia 980Ti
i7 6700k
1TB SDD
32gb ram

Oh and yes I am on Windows 7

when I moved from 4.16 to 4.19
I started to have sudden freezes

Update Memtest complete successfully without errors,
I tried to revert to older nVidia driver -> and UE4 4.19 still freezes the entire PC and I have to hard reset.

Helo guys, it’s me topic started.
So basically, I had the issue with entire PC freezing, in December I did full new fresh install of Windows on a new hard drive, instead of freezing it started to restart. I give up with my laptop and I was even thinking to stop using UE4, then in March I decided to do the another try with no hope, I just replaced my RAM plates, I have 4 of 16GB, I just swap them all, I did a memtest and I got 108 error, I was like ■■■■, anyways, too lazy to deal with them, G.Skill support did not help and I was going to replace it with new, but their warranty policy made it impossible and very expensive, I had to pay for everything and then may not return it back in case if something is wrong, but then I’ve noticed my PC is working good now, I even switched 2400Mhz to 3000Mhz and I run UE4 since that time with no problem, I only can suggest to swap RAM plates and this is what cured my problem, even having 108 errors did not affect it and I don’t really have crashes anymore. No drives issues, no BIOS issues, just a swaping RAM plates.

Look to your RAM,in your case you may have to replace it, get new one, in my case switching in places was helped me.

1 Like

What did you mean by swap them all?
Did you get the new RAM dims ?
Or did you just swapped your current dims places ? (shiffeled them).

Sorry for my english, I just shifted them in place. I did not get a new ones.

Thanks for the update!
Despite I have no Memory errors discoveted by the memtest
I will try to do as you suggested.

Sounds wierd - but actually I had wierd experience with such voodoo RAM repair in past :slight_smile:

Well, it took months of figuring this out, but basically what caused the issue for me was my computer keyboard!

I have the Corsair K65RGB keyboard, which actually has firmware. Apparently, because Corsair’s Utility Engine is kind of a piece of garbage, I never got notified that I needed to update the firmware.

On a whim about a month ago, I did more digging into the PC freezing error, and decided to check every peripheral for my PC, and re-install all drivers for basically everything.

When I re-installed CUE, it finally notified me about a firmware update - I did it, which allowed me to update to the new version of CUE itself, and I have been without freezing ever since.

Now… how many here have any keyboards from Corsair, and if you did, did you have this freezing issue?

For me updating the BIOS to latest firmware did the trick.

@smbv1,](https://forums.unrealengine.com/member/371034-smbv1) glad to hear you are not having issues anymore. Sounded like you were dealing with a big headache! Anyway, if you ever have issues like this again, post your UE4 related problems here, but also consider posting at www.techguy.org. There are a lot of hardware professionals on that site and they could probably suggest ways to track and hone in on the problem. I’ve always had great help on that site with hardware related issues.

I had the same problem. Running a packaged game would totally freeze the computer (windows 7 - 64bit) after 20 to 30 minutes of play. Task Manager on a second monitor showed everything normal right up to the freeze.
Yesterday I updated my video drivers. My vid card is Nvidia 1050 Ti. The drivers I downloaded and installed (express install only) Version 419.35 from the NVidia site.
Downloaded File - 419.35-desktop-win8-win7-64bit-international-whql-rp.exe
I didn’t reboot because it did not ask me to. I ran the packaged game and got a message box up saying - ‘There is a problem with your video drivers - check your system is capable and that you have the latest video drivers’ - or something like that. I thought ‘Dammit!’. But, the game ran anyway and, when I came to start the game a second time there was no such message.
Anyway, I then proceeded to test play the game and it did 3 hours last night - interestingly, before the video update when I was running the game on my machine it was using just over 3Gb of memory and after the video update it now uses 2.3Gb of memory. So, something has changed. I am testing again today but last night everything was tickety boo.
It seems to me that the whole machine freezing is indicative of a general problem rather than a specific game problem (even though running the game triggers it). Windows allocates resources to running processes and there really should not be any way a normal executable program should freeze the machine up. So, when trying to solve this problem look for something fundamental. The suggestions and solutions above all seem to share this characteristic - i.e. ram, bios, video drivers (even the bizarre keyboard one) - what they have in common is that all programs share these elements.
Good Luck with your voodoo everyone.

I had the same problem. Just about a week ago Unreal either freezed with whole screen turning yellow or computer just rebooted by itself. It happens immidiatly when I press play button.
Tried older UE4, tried updating video drivers, tried reinstalled my machine. Didnt work! Did a memory check which didnt report anything wrong with my RAM.

Anyway swapped places of the memory cards on my motherboard as someone else did. Now it works.

I have 4x8gb of corsair vengence.

I’m currently having issues with this. I’m running on a laptop, i7-7700, Nvidia GTX1050.
My computer often will freeze up, the screen will light up black, then turn off. One time I had this happen and it lit back up, but it had the wrong computer resolution… I’ve also experienced random freezing and crashing, and more recently, unreal froze up completely, and I had to pop open task manager to fix it.

That probably has to do with laptop power settings

I was having the same problem for 3 days ago, the only way I found was downloading windows 10 1909 .ISO and installing it.

P.S.: DISABLE WINDOWS 10 AUTOMATIC UPDATES SO IT WON’T HAPPEN AGAIN!