UE-80562 Local variables in Construction script in UE4.23 missing "Default Value" section of their Details tab

How many people have hit this? I’ve been unable to find any settings that could cause this so I’m thinking it’s a bug:

It only applies to 4.23, it only happens in the Construction script, and only affects Local variables, but if you hit all those points, the variable has no “Default Value” section in its Details panel, so you can’t set the value or edit it or know what it is.

The scripts still work, and scripts from previous versions of UE even with fantastically complex local arrays of carefully-specified asset lists as their default value etc all work flawlessly in UE4.23, so it doesn’t look like anything has changed under the hood, you just can’t make scripts like that any more in 4.23 because you can’t assign a default value to local variables if they’re in the construction script.

(Local variables are valuable in the construction script because they offer a way to give someone a selectable list of assets where the assets not selected will not get dragged into the packaging process. Those systems still work, I just can’t create new ones any more, nor tweak the existing ones.)

Is there a setting I’ve missed that could do this? (I’ve searched pretty thoroughly) Are you getting the same behavior in 4.23?

Thanks!

Update: I reported it as a bug and it has been added as issue UE-80562. If this issue affects you, click the “vote” button on its issue page (linked below), which will help them evaluate the importance:

Same problem here, I just came back from vacation, we have updated to 4.23 when I was off, and I can’t use new local variables since I can’t set a value into them. The problem exists in both our local version of the engine and the commercial release.

I can work around it by creating variables instead of local variables and leave them private, but all my previously build blueprints would require to be reworked. Just like you, they still work perfectly, I just can’t edit their local variable value anymore.

This is about to affect our project too - we have some pretty complex initializers setup this way and we can no longer change them since moving to 4.23.

-jeff