UE 5 Fatal Error ExitCode=-1073740940

I keep having an issue with packaging my project, something wrong with either shader compression or Oodle compression itself, I can’t tell myself.

It says something is corrupted, but only gives pointer to memory addresses. The game works perfectly fine inside the editor and standalone mode, and all assets pass verification, as well as the engine itself. The error below appears after Created IoStoreShaderArchive header.

OodleDataCompression: Error: OodleDecode : MemorySizeNeeded invalid; likely an invalid or corrupt compressed stream.

It worked in Unreal Engine 5 Early Access 2, but not in Unreal Engine 5 Preview 1. I’m not sure what could be causing this, so if anyone can help that would be greatly appreciated.
Screenshot 2022-03-01 162606
Screenshot 2022-03-01 162652

3 Likes

I’m having the same problem, I’m forced to disable “Use IO Store” in project settings packaging to work, it’s a temporary solution, because the build doubles the storage size.
My project is using the AdvancedSteamSessions plugin, if yours is also using it, it could be the cause.
If you are not using third-party plugins, I recommend reporting a bug via the Engine (Help Menu>Report a Bug). Link: Unreal Engine Community

1 Like

Just created an account to post that I’m having the exact same issue. Not using extra plugin beyond what’s activated by default.

Packaging worked well with Early Access and the problem started after migrating to 5.0 Preview.

Has anyone reported the bug already? If not, I’ll do it.

EDIT: I can confirm that unchecking “Use IO Store” works around the problem.

EDIT: I’ve found a solution without disabling IO Store!

Unfortunately I’m not sure if it’s a solution to everyone else’s issues as well. I don’t know why, but this option inside of my Project Settings was set to “LZ4”. Changing it to “Oodle” fixed my packaging errors.

Good luck!

I’d like to mention that I’m also having this issue with a project that I’ve converted from UE5 EA to UE5 Preview 2! Additionally my project is a C++ Project.

I’ve tested it on an third person template C++ project made using Preview 2, and it builds fine so I’m guessing it has something to do with converting from UE5 EA to UE5 Preview.

As mentioned, turning off “Use IO Store” fixes it for me too. Outside of this though I’ve also tried deleting my non-essential Project files, and then regenerating my project files. Only thing that actually worked was turning off “Use IO Store”.

4 Likes

many thanks you are really help me with that

1 Like

This solved my issue as well. Thank you for sharing the solution!

1 Like